n00b
hi all,

i have just finished building my new system, spec:

amd64 3200+ 939
x800xl pci-e
1gb ddr
asus a8n sli
600watt psu

i went to power up and everything powers up but no signal is getting to the monitor and there is a quiet ticking coming from appears to be mobo. i am using a 20pin ATX connector and just leaving the extra 4 pins at the bottom empty which i understand is fine? please help. thanks

regards,

edd

Im not sure if a 20pin ATX connector is fine. I tried it with my DFI board and it wouldnt boot until I upgraded to a 24 pin psu. Dont know about the asus board though but that's where I would look first.

get a 20 to 24 pin converter, then you'll be all set. Also hook some speakers up to your mobo so you can hear what the speech problem thing has to say about what the problem is

just tried a q tec 550watt, exact same thing. i think i'll get a converter. wen u had the problem did u even get a bios screen? cause i'm gettin nothing and there is a worrying ticking sound coming from somewhere.

edit: the ticking was coming from my raptor, unplugged and has now stopped.

20-pin connector is OK on the A8N-SLI. Did you plug in the 4-pin CPU power connector (the square connector)? You need that one whether the ATX connector is 20 or 24.

When I was using a 20-pin PS I also plugged a hard drive power cable into the auxilary video power connector. I don't know if it was need or helped, but it didn't hurt.

yeh i plugged the 4pin in as well, have ordered a converter. hope it helps :( i have tried everything else, surly its either this or a dead board

I know that my A8N-SLI was real picky when I first set the sucker up.

I have used 4 PSU's on it so far and I highly recommend a quality one, especially if you are using a power hungry vid card...

Have you tried a PCI video card (an ancient one you have somehwere?), if you can get it to boot with that I would make sure that the molex next to the primary PCI-E slot is hooked up...

i haven't tried a normal PCI v.card as i don't have 1 but i have a AGP 1 but this board has no agp ports, my x800xl does not require a power inlet.

Eddie, check the memory. I don't know if you have one or two sticks, but if you have two they should go in slots with the same colour, can't remember if it was blue or black but the same colour. If you got one stick try different slots, think it's the third from the CPU.

i have 1024mb of corsair dual channel, there in the same coloured slots i have also tried only stick, no difference.

You haven't accidently shorted out the motherboard? No distances in the wrong place on the backside of the motherboard?
You are sure you have connected all power cables? You have the big 20 pin conctor mounted right but what about the others?
There is a 4 pin square connector and one 4 pin that's the same as to the CD-rom and have you connected one to your graphic card? (don't know if you have one)

right i finally got system running but have some problem, my raptor is dead so am going to have to get a replacment so for now i am running a 80gb sata and have windows up and running now. my biggest problem is that the system will only boot if i have 1 stick of ram in, (slot B1) this is why the system wasen't booting before. i really don't know why? i have tried my 2 modules in A1 and B1 like you are mean't to and nothing... won't boot. have also tried A2 and B2 same. could this be a power issue?

the computer will not boot with my 2 x 512mb corsair in. but will if i only put either 1 in on there own. but the computer boot with 2 x samsung CL3 modules. this is strange as both the corasair work on there own just not both in :S

if you just hook the speakers up, it will tell you what's wrong, you do know this right? Why does everyone ignore this feature

Back