A8N-SLI chipset fan

djskankho

Gawd
Couple of questions, searched but didn't really find the answer.

First, how long did it take for ASUS to send you a new fan. I contacted them two weeks ago with all my information and I haven't gotten anything yet. The fan finally died yesterday so 2 weeks of planning ahead just wasn't long enough.

Second, is it just a fan or is it a new sink too? If it's a new heatsink as well, do you have to pull out the motherboard to get the old one off? I don't understand how the current heatsink is locked on.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to how long Asus takes to send a replacement. I have read many posts on the Internet that they send it pretty quick - within the States... assuming they are in stock.

Personally, I don't want anymore toy parts from them. Their new Premium Edition sports a nifty fanless heatsink I guess as a retort to the troubles the had with the Deluxe Ed. I am ordering a Thermalright heatsink fan for about 10 bucks to replace the stock equipment. And I may completely swap out the Deluxe board with a Premium soon in case I have burned out my Northbridge... my fan has not spun in over a month... I keep it in a pretty cool room and PC probe reports safe temps but who knows... the system remains stable... this whole thing put a huge damper on building a system this summer... and working overseas makes getting good parts a pain...

I called 510-739-3777 and they shipped the new assembly out in 6 days. It is a bigger heatsink and a bigger slower fan. Seems to cool better than the original and is quieter.
You do have to remove the motherboard to remove the original. It's held on with pushpins and you need to get at the back of the board to collapse them to remove them.

Can anyone reccommend an alternate (maybe copper) chipset fan/sink combo? I want to order tonight and maybe ship overnight so quick responses would be appreciated. Thanks to the two who already posted, exactly what I wanted to know.

djskankho said:
Can anyone reccommend an alternate (maybe copper) chipset fan/sink combo? I want to order tonight and maybe ship overnight so quick responses would be appreciated. Thanks to the two who already posted, exactly what I wanted to know.
Be careful. I looked long and hard trying to find a replacement HSF that would fit under my BFG 6800 Ultra's and couldn't find one. That's why I went with the ASUS replacement. It's bigger than the original but not taller. Don't know about your "GT" but, my ultra's go right over the top of the chipset HSF with very little clearance.

Slippery said:
Be careful. I looked long and hard trying to find a replacement HSF that would fit under my BFG 6800 Ultra's and couldn't find one. That's why I went with the ASUS replacement. It's bigger than the original but not taller. Don't know about your "GT" but, my ultra's go right over the top of the chipset HSF with very little clearance.
Do you know for sure if the Thermalright NB-1 will clear the 6800GT's? Might have to get the Asus product after all... thanks for the phone number!

I put one of these on every board I get. They work great. If I have clearance problems, I just remove the top cover and that usually gives me the clearance I need.

Vantec Iceberq. Replacing the NB heatsink also allows you to see the paltry amount of thermal paste most mb makers use on the NB.

I ended up getting an Iceberq locally for a pretty decent total price. It actually didn't completely fit because it has extra hoels further away from the center for something else... Anyway, I just filed it down on the sidewalk and it's workin pretty well as far as I can tell.

Back