a8n-sli an overclocking dud?

wiper

Weaksauce
I posted this in the mobo forum and hardly even got any views so I figured I'd try this forum as well. I've read user stories with the a8n-sli all over the net, some saying they can't get more than 230mhz htt (which is my current situation) and some saying they get completely rediculous numbers of 280+ so I was wondering what htt's [H] people have been getting with their a8n-sli's. It's really wierd cause I can crank the htt all the way up to 300 and the system posts's fine with no corruption but after it detects the ide drives it locks up, however, if I go into the bios it goes right through the detecting ide devices and goes the raid controller then enters the bios where it will sit happily for hours at 100% usage never going over 105F. This would seem to me to indicate that the processor is able to handel the 900mhz oc. I know the a8n loads defaults when post fails without telling you but when it does that it doesn't hang after detecting the ide drives and the cpu configuration says 2700mhz, also why would it be able to move on to the nvraid bios only when I tell it to enter setup? I thought the issue might be related to not being able to lock the pci multiplier but I just flashed 1007 last night and it had the pci lock setting which I set to 33.33mhz. So now the only conclusion I can draw is over 230mhz htt is completely unstable on this board though it seems odd that so many people would have the *exact* same max stable htt with a round number like 230mhz. Even at 240mhz the system won't boot or crashes shortly after loading windows, I set the mem divider to 1/2 and the hyperstansport multiplier to 4x which brings it to 960 well under the 1ghz mark and cranked the vcore up to max in the bios. So, what do yall think?

5 bucks says its your SATA controller... ive been saying this alot...

my SATA controller on the chipset side i believe is unlocked and it doesnt like to be put above 230 or else it craps out (im on an msi K8N Neo2 though) but its at the same speed so try movin your SATA drives over to the other set of ports then turning off (if possible) the chipset side SATA controller and see if ti boots

you're saying use the silicon image controller vice the nvraid controller?

so how do you wanna send that 5 bucks? paypal?...heh...still didn't work, however i did discover that i can use my sata ports without using the nvraid so i don't have to keep making custom slip streamed install cd's with the raid drivers on it.

From what I understand you want to be using the NV SATA ports as the Silicon Image ones are on the PCI bus. I was having glitches so I switched over. What are the current settings you are running at, list them all!

Confusedsoul

When i had the 1002 bios revision i could only push the cpu frec at 241.
now that i have the 1007 bios revision i have push it at 269 with no crushing or others problems where as i can boot normally at 283.
------------------
CPU: 3000+ MEMORY: KINGSTOM HYPER X 433MHz ASUS 6800GT 1X SATA

Back