A7N8X setup/config/troubleshoot FAQ

RMA? That really sucks. I just don't understand why I'm hearing so many of these boards going tits up nowadays. I never heard any bad things when I built my computer last September.

yea, i was thinking about rmaing it which is probably what im gonna have to do...does anyone have any thing i can do to TRY to get it to work?

Thought I would post this here.

Here is a program to cool your processor whal at idle.
http://vcool.occludo.net/vc_alpha.html
I'm seeing 10c lower idle temps with this on my a7n8x 1.4 overclocked rig.

with:
25c @ mobo
36c @ socket
35c @ die

without:
25c @ mobo
43c @ socket
47c @ die

2500rpm 80mm fan on a slk-800

A friend of mine just got the A7N8X. The BIOS got corrupted while he was setting it up... It's fixed now. Not sure how it corrupted while setting it up, that's just wierd. :eek:

That's 4 types (and 14 sticks) of RAM (on 10 motherboards), and only one type works properly... I'm using the IGP (these are destined to be corporate desktops), and I'm dying to know who's had success with this board. ASUS's tech support has been worthless so far (call the memory manufacturer). All of the memory tests cleanly on a standard A7N8X motherboard, so the RAM appears to be good...

The RAM that didn't work was junk value ram. It won't work well in a lot of boards. Stick with high quality proven RAM and you can avoid alot of these problems. If you put bicycle tires on a corvette the car will suck. ALL of the parts should be high quality.

so what is the problem with this board? does the a7n8x-e deluxe only have problems with a xp 3200+?

K I'm putting together a system with the A7N8X-E Deluxe and when it first booted I got the "in safe mode speeds...set to correct speeds" and I didn't realize that the FSB jumper was on 200, so I tried to clear the cmos by just switching the jumper, powering on, powering off, switching jumper back (yes i now know that's completely wrong). Now I'm getting nothing. Power is there of course, but no beeps and nothing but a black screen. Did I fuck up something by doing the clear cmos thing wrong and if so, what? I think I cleared the cmos properly after that, but still no avail.

oh and the fan's seem to be running faster now...

I had to RMA a A7V8X board because of a similar problem. Although the Via and Nvidia board performance differences are pretty big, I had no problem getting the board back. It did take awhile but they sent me a brand new board. If you know your parts are good and not bad (Ram, CPU, Video) and if you've already tried to reset CMOS and no go then just RMA, you'll be happy and it'll be worth it. I've RMA'ed two Asus boards with no problems at all. Just be reminded that they do take awhile to get back.

gumplunger said:
K I'm putting together a system with the A7N8X-E Deluxe and when it first booted I got the "in safe mode speeds...set to correct speeds" and I didn't realize that the FSB jumper was on 200, so I tried to clear the cmos by just switching the jumper, powering on, powering off, switching jumper back (yes i now know that's completely wrong). Now I'm getting nothing. Power is there of course, but no beeps and nothing but a black screen. Did I fuck up something by doing the clear cmos thing wrong and if so, what? I think I cleared the cmos properly after that, but still no avail.

oh and the fan's seem to be running faster now...

FSB Jumper? The FSB jumper should be set to 400/333/266 by default. Also do you have a set of speakers connected to the audio out? You should be listening for the Post reporter for what the computer is doing.

[
Er1kTheRed said:
I've got a bunch (10) of the A7N8X-VM/400 boards, and I'm having a nasty time with memory... I've tried the following DIMMS, and have been unstable with WinXP, WinNT4, Knoppix 3.3, Insert Linux 1.2.4, and MemTest32 v3.0

Did not work:

PNY Ultra 512MB PC2700 (1 stick) D512MPC27OPT
BRAVO ADP328TM-60 (Date Code 0401C, Qty 16 chips per module)

Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2700 (1 stick) VS512NB333
SpecTec (?) AE S80032VMCTW-6A (Date Code 0312, Qty 16 chips)

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB PC2700 (10 sticks!) KVR333X64C25/512
P723845-0508879 - ELPIDA M2S56D30ATP 035099B13-60 (Qty 16 chips)
Tried single and paired

Did work:

Corsair Platinum Series CMX256A-3200C2PT (2 sticks)
(chips covered by heat spreader) (Qty 8 chips per module)
Tried single and paired

That's 4 types (and 14 sticks) of RAM (on 10 motherboards), and only one type works properly... I'm using the IGP (these are destined to be corporate desktops), and I'm dying to know who's had success with this board. ASUS's tech support has been worthless so far (call the memory manufacturer). All of the memory tests cleanly on a standard A7N8X motherboard, so the RAM appears to be good...

Current theories:
1) That the 16 chips per module DIMMS don't like the IGP.
2) There are issues with PC2700 DIMMS in general.
3) There are issues with 512MB DIMMS in general.

I'm using the following parts:
Antec SL220W power supplies
AMD Athlon 2500+ CPUs
Plextor 52/24/52 CDRW drives
Western Digital WD400JP drives

Any ideas / help would be appreciated.

I'm a reseller of ASUS and i've got to tell you i've had numerous problems, but only recently with these series of boards. I did however run into a forum post here: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74026
Basically he says it may be related to a memory timing issue. I'm not so sure and haven't had a chance to test it yet, but when I do i'll let you know. In my experience the Video corruption, and unstability hasen't happened until after loading the Nvidia drivers (no matter which version).

Regarding the 16 chip per module, that could be it.
Regarding PC2700, kingson Hyperx PC2700, and Corsiar XMS 2700 both worked fine
Regarding 512MB Sticks, once again Kingston Hyperx, and Corsair XMS 512 sticks were okay in my testing

Cocheese Quote:

The RAM that didn't work was junk value ram. It won't work well in a lot of boards. Stick with high quality proven RAM and you can avoid alot of these problems. If you put bicycle tires on a corvette the car will suck. ALL of the parts should be high quality.

I do know that I had never been able to get the corsair Value ram to work, and for a while I had great luck with Kingston Value ram, then they did a revision change and switched modules, no more work. Finally the've switched again and things are working now. I did find some (cheap alert) Specteck that worked as well. Of course the board worked with high end XMS or HyperX Memory but the problem with that is you end up spending twice as much on the RAM as you do on the motherboard. Being that the board is a more value/oem oriented board it's hard for most customers to justify buying enthusiast style memory at an enthusiasts price.

Forgot to write about a current problem

Hey

okedoke I've got a very wierd issue with a friends system.

System Specs:

Standard ATX Case
Sparkle Power 300 Watt ATX P/S
Liteon 48x Burner
Artec DVD Rom
Western Digital 80GB SE Hard Drive
MSI Geforce 4 TI 4200 Video Card
Kingston Value RAM 256mb PC 2700 (tested and known good)
A7N8X Deluxe Version 2.0 W/ BIOS 1007
Athlon XP 2500+

Here's the deal, this system is what I'd call a motherboard POST problem, or possibly something with the CMOS or BIOS having a problem. What happens is the system will be functioning correctly for a period of time, whether it's days or weeks then it will stop POSTing. The Lights come on, fans spin up everything looks like you've got a bad CPU, Vid card, or Bad RAM. This has happened before and after device drivers are installed. The last three times I was able to get the board to boot again was by 1) Removing the memory and using new memory, ( I thought this was the whole problem, except I put the original memory in a new system and memtest86'd it and it was perfect. After the board did boot again I put it back in the system and MemTest86'd it and it was perfect.) 2) The second time the board came back it would not boot by changing the memory, but It did boot after changing the Video Card. Once again I swaped vid cards with anothe system, they both booted. After the original board started booting again I put the original MSI Ti 4200 in and it booted fine again. 3) Finally I've got the board back again it would not boot with a vid card change, or a memory change. But I swapped CPU's and walla....once again it's booting. I'm to the point where I want to RMA the board, but if ASUS gets it back and it boots up fine for them, I'm betting they'll send me back the same board with nothing fixed. The next thing I was thinking of trying was to let him borrow different RAM, CPU and Vid Card to see if it still does it, if it does then it's got to be the board.

So far it's like the board gets locked up or something, having to change three main system components to "bring it back" has led me to think its the mainboard, but without a way to verify it and without something to cause it to crash i'm kinda at a loss.

I've also considered: Too small power supply (tried with an antec 380 true) didn't fix, grounding (took mainboard out of case while it wouldn't boot, still wouldn't boot removed), Demons and spectre's possessing the board (called the ghostbusters, checked it out and said it's was all clear).......

Any Ideas will help

Norvac

To start, yes I have checked the jumper......

I am having problems with my new A7N8X-E Deluxe. I first purchased the MB, AMD 3200+ Barton Proc, Kingston Memory, Western Digital SATA drive and a NVIDIA Graphic and from newegg.com. I had problems from the start....

First, the MB wasn't stable with both sticks of Kingston on it so I was running with one stick. The MB would only run at 200Mhz FSB max, check the jumper and it is in the correct position.

Second, ASUS finally posted an approved memory matrix for the MB and mine wasn't on it so I ordered some Corsair memory that was, it was a bit more stable with both sticks of 512mb on-board, but it was still running at 200 MHz FSB.

Upgraded to the 1011 bios. This seemed to improve the stability, but still running at 200 MHz FSB. I don't have the option of setting it to 400 MHz...

The MB version is 1.01, is this the problem? The box/web site/manual all talk about 400 MHz FSB, but I can't seem to get there.

I have posted a message to ASUS, but they don’t seem to be able to help, the only reply that I got didn’t make any sense at all.

Please Help...

John

gumplunger said:
...so I tried to clear the cmos by just switching the jumper, powering on, powering off, switching jumper back...

Are you saying that you powered the thing up with the CMOS clear set?

Yeah, that could do it I suppose. I don't think the board is damaged. I would try replacing the CMOS battery before giving up all hope. You probably zapped it.

The CMOS clear jumper in the clear position is usually simply a connection between the CMOS power and the ground plane of the motherboard in order to immediately drain the power stored in the BIOS.

The same effect would be gained by removing the battery for 10 seconds. You might want to try doing that even before replacing it.

Sometimes, with big motherboards, the engineers will get some connections confused and it will work in normal usage, so the error ends up skipped over in testing. :eek:

netlizard said:
To start, yes I have checked the jumper......

The MB would only run at 200Mhz FSB max, check the jumper and it is in the correct position.

but it was still running at 200 MHz FSB.

Upgraded to the 1011 bios. This seemed to improve the stability, but still running at 200 MHz FSB. I don't have the option of setting it to 400 MHz...

The box/web site/manual all talk about 400 MHz FSB, but I can't seem to get there.

John

Correct me if Im wrong guys, but if your fsb in bios is 200 (your external clock for your cpu) you are indeed running at 400 on the chip... I think it cause you have a northbridge and a south, but if im wrong please somebody explain that to me.

I just got this board yesterday and all is running well, I just have one question. Can you oc the fsb over 200mhz? The stepping in my bios (version 1009) is like 133, 166, and 200, Nothing beyond it. I find it odd its not at least in intervols of 5. Anyway, thanks for the help. And john, just to make sure your all right speed wize; download a program like cpu-z (google it) or install the asusprob witch it on the driver disk under utitlies and it will give you all sorts of info in there and make sure you running at 2.2ghz. Good luck

netlizard,

This is the easiest way for me to explain it:
Much like a P4 800MHz FSB CPU doesn't really run at 800MHz but instead 200MHz x4, your Athlon FSB is really 200MHz x2. You set your FSB to the base multiplier speed of 200MHz and the speed is doubled to 400MHz automatically. I think you are confused about the 200MHz setting in your BIOS representing 100MHz x2 but that is not the case. If you would like further proof that your system is running at the proper speed, download and run CPU-Z and it will give you a lot of good information about your current motherboard settings within Windows.

Norvac,

Strange problem. I'd try a couple simple things first, like increasing the DIMM voltage slightly to see if it's not getting enough power to the memory, and try a different DIMM slot. Turn off SPD and set timings manually to make sure BIOS isn't setting memory timings wrong.

If that WD drive in that system is IDE and is running Master/Slave with one of your optical drives, make sure it's set to Master and not Cable Select. WD used to have issues with CS back in the day and I've never trusted it since. (this probably wouldn't cause a no POST though)

Is the computer on a good surge supressor or UPS? Receiving a voltage spike can muck things up real good, especially BIOS. And speaking of BIOS, what about swapping the battery with another to make sure it's not causing a loss of settings due to loss of charge?

Really does sound like a BIOS issue, or a BIOS issue caused by another factor.

What about APIC? Man I hate APIC. It's answer to IRQ sharing? Emulation. Yay. Caused me all kinds of stability issues with it enabled. I turn it off on all my systems used for gaming... but you'll have to reinstall Windows (or run repair) if it's already on :-/ May or may not help you, but it seems somewhat related to your problem.

Guess that's all I can think of right now.

Haha! After actually using my brain for about 5 min I discovered if I changed the setting "Optimal" to user defined I had all the control I wanted. Thanks

OK..here is my problem.
My comp works just fine with 2 HDDs, but when I try to add more HDDs by using PCI card to add more HDDs.
After I plug my HDD to the PCI card, the windows XP logo screen won't show up.
It didn't do anything, just sitting there..
Here is my spec:

AMD Barton 2700+
512 Memory
40GB HDD (main)
200GB HDD (second)
150GB HDD (trying to add PCI card)
80GB HDD (trying to add PCI card)
60GB HDD (trying to add PCI card)

Thanks

Wow... After reading numerous threads, I've figured out that I have no hope at all.

I recently bought a system from newegg that included an athlon xp 3200+, 1 gb (512 x2) Geil Golden dragon pc3200, and the NFI Lanparty board. The system was horribly unstable, which led to me believing that the problem lied with the board. I RMAed the board and bought the A7N8X, which as of right now I am trying to install. However, after hearing that the athlon 3200+ and my unsupported Geil ram are supposed to cause conflict with the board, I figure I am completely screwed.

Now, what are my options? The only current part I can RMA is the A7N8X. I've heard of people switching to the DFI Lanparty board, but I had problems with that as well. Any suggestions at all are welcome.

Whoa whoa whoa, I have the 3200+ with 1gb geil 3200 and the a7n8x board and it runs amazing for me! Give it a try at least

Here's my situation. I just got a new A7N8X-E Deluxe, and I bring it home, plug everything in, and p00f, I get a BSOD with the Stop 0x7B error (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE).

Specs:
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe rev 1.01
512M Single Channel DDR
2 Maxtor 40G HDDs
AMD Athlon 1.3G (100Mhz FSB)
Windows 2000

1) I RMAed the board, just to make sure. Same problem on the new one. This was mainly because I wasn't really thinking at the time, and just thought the mobo was fubared.

2) I tried reinstalling windows. Reinstalling via the IDE CD Rom resulted in Device 1/0 Errors. Reinstalling via a USB CD ROM resulted in everything going fine, until the Setup process got to the Starting Windows 2000 phase, at which point it went p00f as well, with Stop 0x7B.

3) I tried flashing the bios to 1011. No dice. I'm still sitting at 1011

4) I tried downloading the 4.24 IDE drivers, and loading them into the windows setup using F6. No dice here, either -- it still goes p00f on me when the install tries to start windows.

5) Replacing the hard drives with other drives. Nothing.

I'm thinking it could be my ram, but none of the other RAM problems I've seen here mentioned a blue screen stop error -- this is usally caused by IDE drivers.

I'm about to go pick up both XP Home and some new memory to see if that would work, but I'm skeptical.

Quick question. When you reinstalled windows did you reformat first or just reinstall over the old one?

Seanpr123 said:
Quick question. When you reinstalled windows did you reformat first or just reinstall over the old one?

I can't do either.

I've tried installing windows on a HDD that doesn't have Windows on it, and it bombs out at the same place that the install with the windows HDD plug in does.

Basically, the windows setup process gets to the "Starting Windows 2000" phase, and then dies with the stop error.

Last night, I did a memory test (I ran memtest86 for nearly 4 hours, without a single error), so I don't think my RAM is bad at all. The only thing I can think of is that it's as driver issue, but a response over on the nforcershq.com forums mentioned that I shouldn't need special drivers to get the normal IDE controller working in Windows -- only the SATA RAID controller needs the special drivers.

I also tried playing with the memory timings (making them a bit slower, to see if that would make things more stable), but no success there either.

So, basically, I'm lost. I'm going to try getting an XP disc from someone else and install using that. I don't have high hopes, though.

Are these some of the new made in China motherboards that ASUS has started making to get into the low cost market?

In the past, I've had nothing but great, stable boards from ASUS, I guess they were made in Taiwan? I was sad to read they were going to start making some in China. I know some made in China products aren't too bad, but they make a lot of crap too.

Hey guys, i need HELP!

Ok ive had this A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 for a loooooong time (since its release) and it works fine. Im running BIOS 1008. However, recently my game rig died (die EPOX die!) and i wanted to move my 9700 Pro over to this rig till socket 939 comes down in price and has the next rev out.

Heres the problem, if I put the 9700 in the system I will get nothing....... no POST, no beeps, no monitor signal, nothing... If I put in my GF2 TI200 in everything fires up and runs like a champ. i tried 3 different BIOS's (1002,1004,1008), tried reseating the card, using different molex connectors for power, let battery sit out for a day and reset BIOS, and NOTHING is helping. Please tell me someone has seen this before. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

oh btw the 9700 pro works in another machine with no problems :confused:

That_Sound_Guy said:
Heres the problem, if I put the 9700 in the system I will get nothing.......:confused:

I just got had a new 9800 Pro 256 for a couple days, in either machine I put it in it either wouldn't boot, or would freeze/reboot within seconds of WinXP finishing loading... My 5900 works fine in both systems, so does my new 6800 (9800 went back to the store, exchanged for the 6800, found one for $239).

What power supply are you using with the system where the 9700 won't work? Try taking out all other cards & drives and see what happens with only the MB, CPU, RAM & Vid card in maybe? Switch BIOS settings to failsafe or whatever then try the 9700?

Critofur said:
What power supply are you using with the system where the 9700 won't work? Try taking out all other cards & drives and see what happens with only the MB, CPU, RAM & Vid card in maybe? Switch BIOS settings to failsafe or whatever then try the 9700?

I have an Antec 350 and a comp usa (test psu) at 400 watts. neither make the 9700 work in the system. I have no other cards running,went all the way down to one stick of good ram and bare essentials and still nothing... Thanks for the attempt at helping though, any other ideas? i scowered google for 2 days now and absolutely nothing has came up with usefull ideas :(

Hmm, well how about seeing what ASUS tech support says? I called them on the phone the other day about some RAID issues on my P4C800E. They were only slightly helpful, but, it was nice that it was easy to reach tech support without waiting too long on hold.

400 watt Antec PS should be plenty, so should the 350 watt one.

When you try to power the system on, what comes on? CPU heatsink fan? PS fan? The fan on the vid card? Any LEDs come on?

When you put the card in, is it in all the way, I've seen problems where the case wouldn't let the contacts on the card line up exactly right in the slot. I wouldn't guess that's your problem, based on you saying you tried re-seating and such though.

Ok, here goes...

Having a problem installing WinXP Pro on my 160GB sata hard drive with my A7N8X... This system was working just fine 3 hours ago when I had an 80GB IDE as IDE master and the 160sata was just the D: drive...

When going through the windows install, I specify Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink for WinXP. Everything is fine til I get to the Partition HD page. It lists the 250GB IDE and 160GB SATA drives and I try to partition the drive to the maximum size... Thats when the problems kick in and it says:

"Setup must write some startup files to:
131072MB Disk0 at ID0 on bus0 on atapi [MBR]

However this disk does not contain a WindowsXP compatible partition."

I have tried the SATA drivers from ASUS and Silicon Image's websites, but even though the drivers are slightly different, neither get me past the partition issue. On a possibly related issue, what does jumper setting "PM" mean on a WD SATA hard drive?

SPECS:
ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe acpi BIOS Rev 1008
AMD 2100+
Western Digital SATA 160GB (Primary SATA)
WD 250GB IDE (alone on IDE1)
Pioneer 106S DVD (master on IDE2)
Liteon 52x32x52 CDRW (slave on IDE2)
ATI 9700 AIW Pro
SB Audigy Gamer (PCI 3)
Samsung ddr333 ~ 512MB
Enermax Whisper 420WT P/S
Mitsumi 1.44

Thanks for any info, guys =)

I saw someone with a similar problem inanother thread ( http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4287&view=findpost&p=26975) , but not sure what the final outcome is. i made a thread with this same thing, but didnt see this stickie. here is what i wrote

At the moment, I have an Asus A7N8x-E Delux Motherboard, AMD barton 3000+ (400fsb), 1 gig of kingston pc 3200 value ram (2sticks of 512) , and an ATI radion 9600 with 256 megs of ram, and a turtlebeach santa cruz sound card (i know , on board is probably better here), a 350w atx power supply. 120gig maxtor, and a 40 gig seagate baracuda 4, and a cdburner/dvdrom combo.
My problem is, that once i get into windows, my computer randomly restarts itself. Most often when I start an application that will be video card intensive (ut2k4 demo, starting Doom 3), between direct draw tests. Now, i have RMA'd the proc, i've used another board (asus board that said it would work with this stuff too) (which with the rest of the same parts, the computer continue's to restart), tested the ram on other computers. Now I used my 1700+ with the pc3200 and the other parts on the current new board, and the computer doesn't restart. So my question is, is this a power supply problem? Do i need more than 350w? or is there a deeper issue. Any help would be great, I'm guessing its either the power supply or ummm computers hate me.
Thanks for reading and any help you can give.

I have a similar issue. I can't install any windows O/S on my maxtor drive with the A7N8X. When i put it into my old setup it installs fine, but tranferring it across it can never load explorer. I formatted it (on the new setup) and Windows Me has a font error and crashes every time. Is there a known compatibility issue with these pieces of hardware or..... any ideas???

trantjd said:
...If anybody has any tips as to how I could get into the previous install, even if it wasn't entirely stable or fast (safe mode would work even), it would be very much appreciated!
Thanks.
I've found Windows XP (installation from another system, moving the system drive) will usually boot ok, just updates some drivers... But if that doesn't work, you can boot off the CD and do an (press the R key after you're past the "searching for previous versions...") repair install over the old Windows directory (not the R for recovery console, skip past that on to the install menu).

nickthemiragorobot said:
I have a similar issue. I can't install any windows O/S on my maxtor drive with the A7N8X. When i put it into my old setup it installs fine, but tranferring it across it can never load explorer. I formatted it (on the new setup) and Windows Me has a font error and crashes every time. Is there a known compatibility issue with these pieces of hardware or..... any ideas???

Did you try all the usual: lower the FSB & CPU speed, run the memory slower, use just one stick of memory and just a video card... to see if it's a hardware stability problem. Sometimes the power supply is the problem. I've had a few cases of hard to diagnose system crashing that were fixed by putting in a new PS.

I never used to see people posting about problems with ASUS brand boards before they started making some of them in China (used to be only Taiwan?). Used to be they were just as rock solid as Intel brand MBs.

Bigbeanx said:
I saw someone with a similar problem inanother thread ( http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4287&view=findpost&p=26975) , but not sure what the final outcome is. i made a thread with this same thing, but didnt see this stickie. here is what i wrote

At the moment, I have an Asus A7N8x-E Delux Motherboard, AMD barton 3000+ (400fsb), 1 gig of kingston pc 3200 value ram (2sticks of 512) , and an ATI radion 9600 with 256 megs of ram, and a turtlebeach santa cruz sound card (i know , on board is probably better here), a 350w atx power supply. 120gig maxtor, and a 40 gig seagate baracuda 4, and a cdburner/dvdrom combo.
My problem is, that once i get into windows, my computer randomly restarts itself. Most often when I start an application that will be video card intensive (ut2k4 demo, starting Doom 3), between direct draw tests. Now, i have RMA'd the proc, i've used another board (asus board that said it would work with this stuff too) (which with the rest of the same parts, the computer continue's to restart), tested the ram on other computers. Now I used my 1700+ with the pc3200 and the other parts on the current new board, and the computer doesn't restart. So my question is, is this a power supply problem? Do i need more than 350w? or is there a deeper issue. Any help would be great, I'm guessing its either the power supply or ummm computers hate me.
Thanks for reading and any help you can give.

Well, the 1700+ is using a lower FSB speed right? I've found my system fails Prime95 when I use the 200/400 FSB, but it's rock solid on the 166/333 FSB. I haven't figured out yet if it's the memory, or something else that's not handling the higher FSB well. I'm using an XP-M, but the memory is cheapo "Centon" brand from Microcenter. I've got just a 300 watt (Antec) power supply but had no problems using a 5900 video card.

Critofur said:
Did you try all the usual: lower the FSB & CPU speed, run the memory slower, use just one stick of memory and just a video card... to see if it's a hardware stability problem. Sometimes the power supply is the problem. I've had a few cases of hard to diagnose system crashing that were fixed by putting in a new PS.

I never used to see people posting about problems with ASUS brand boards before they started making some of them in China (used to be only Taiwan?). Used to be they were just as rock solid as Intel brand MBs.

Yep fraid so, tried it all. I thought the problem may have been an IRQ conflict, cause the manual says don't use PCI slot 2 if you are using (just) the AGP slot, so I moved it and nothing improved. I always preferred ABIT mobo's but I thought I'd go for an ASUS as they are usually slightly faster, wishing I hadn't!!
It definitely isnt power, brand new 380W PSU.

The CPU is getting quite hot so I lowered it to 200 FSB. It still gets up to 70C relatively quickly (idle), but the setup problem happens before it gets hot, making me think it isn't this. (Perhaps a 400FSB cpu will not work at 200?)

Others have had issues with Maxtor disk drives (IDE), however many have it working perfectly with them too, so I don't think thats likely.

HELP!!

Strangely enough, the fault lies with the graphics card (Radeon 9600XT). It doesnt seem to be capable of working without any drivers, hence all the errors. I put an old VGA (S3 Virge) card in and it worked perfectly. Once you get into windows, install the Radeon as if you just bought it and it works fine!

Hey guys.

Anyone having trouble with the Gigabit LAN on the -E board ?

It worked for me initially, but now, nothing, not recognized in Windows at all.

I have verified the jumper for it is set correctly, though I did try switching it to disabled->boot->power off->enabled->boot and still nothing.

I did a Googled today and found a thread at TechSpot with a few people that are having the same problem, but no answers...

Well,hello people,fresh meat here...I have the pc setup you see on my signature"ASUS A7N8X-X Mainboard,AthlonXP 2700+,512MB DDR PC3200,ASUS RADEON A9600SE 128MBDDR,ASUS WL130b,ASUS DVD-RW 040sp+-,SONY DVD,AOC A7k+ 17" ".I went through other posts,but can't seem to find any solution..Can somebody tell me how to setup my BIOS or hardware(jumpers and stuff) to get the most out of it?Plus,how can I overclock this processor without soldering/altering it in any "un-natural" way?When I try to give it some more "juice" ,it simply wont go after post.I am no expert here,so please if somebody could take me step by step,I would be more than grateful....Thanx,George

Trying to get a friends pc running and he has a single maxtor SATA drive witch he put 89 on. 98 boots fine but when i try to install XP it says no HDD found. What do i need todo? BTW my pc doesnt have a SATA hook up.

Back