A7N8X setup/config/troubleshoot FAQ

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
Here is the setup:

Asus A7N8X-X
1GB PC3200
GeFroce 4 MX440 4x AGP
Athlon XP2200 w/ ThermalTake 10 Heatsink

My machine was booting yesterday, but running really slow. So I go to work and come home today and try it and now I am getting one single beep, everything powers up, and then it shuts off: No post. Any ideas? Need help ASAP! Thanks guys!

Originally posted by NotSoSimple
Here is the setup:

Asus A7N8X-X
1GB PC3200
GeFroce 4 MX440 4x AGP
Athlon XP2200 w/ ThermalTake 10 Heatsink

My machine was booting yesterday, but running really slow. So I go to work and come home today and try it and now I am getting one single beep, everything powers up, and then it shuts off: No post. Any ideas? Need help ASAP! Thanks guys!

dont know but with my asus a7n8x board if i take out the ram it does the single beep then powers off... could be a ram problem, but mine isnt working either and im about to break it apart.

ok,. i have a regular a7n8x board, that i just purchased today cause i thought my other motherboard was dead. Turns out im not getting much farther with this one, i KNOW my xp 2200 works cause i tested it with another computer and it works fine.
I have generic ddr pc2100 512mb ram, which im pretty sure works also because no beeps occur with it in, but when i take it out, the speaker beeps one long beep.

anyyyways, my main problem is this:
i have everything connected and i flick the switch on, the system starts up for about 4 seconds then turns off, no post, nothing on monitor, no beeps, just turns on for 4 seconds, and turns off.
Ive tried taking out the cpu and just hooking it up and letting it go, and still nothing on the monitor. i thought 'no cpu is detected' should appear or something, but maybe thats just the deluxe model...
i'm thinking its the powersupply and if it is im gonna be pissed cause i just threw down a lot of cash for this mobo :mad:

anyone else have this issue and know how to have it resolved?!
thanks

.. oh yeah i have a 300 watt ATX compusa power supply.
thankx

---------
update: i fixed the 2-3 sec. turnoff problem, i had a copper shim on there which is supposed to dispurse heat i guess but it doesnt. lol. waste of fakin $10
NOW...it just doesnt post, no beeps, no sounds, no nothing!

tried 2 different batteries for mobo, and cleared cmos, still nothing... the only thing i can think is psu...

update: it appears the problem is that my video card is dead grrrr, and its out of warrenty, hopefully abit will still replace it!!!!!!

I just had the same problem , I removed the cpu and the system started and stayed on . I changed out the hsf and the pc stayed on when started ( Asus COP protection ). I Still had no display so I changed out the vid card and was ready to roll ( note I was using up old parts ).

I hate to (possibly) beat a dead horse, but, is there an Mic. issue w/ revision 1 boards. I have always gotten a garbled output in CS, DOD and any voice related apps. I have tried my Mic (labtech axis 502, I think) on my laptop, no probs., and other mics on theboard. I have all the updated Gart drivers. Since I can't search, I thought I 'd trouble you fine people for an answer.

Any direction to go would be helpful
TIA,
n8

I have a rev 1.06 board, and have installed a ASUS 9600xt video card. Every thing seems to work great, but when I turn it off and the computer sits over night it won't boot. I throw in a old card and get it running for a few min. Then swap cards and it boots and runs fine again. Anybody have any ideas?

Having problems with my setup, hoping you guys can give me some suggestions. Sorry if its already been covered but I have tried to read the entire thread the best I can :)

So recently bought myself a new system, specs:

Windows XP
A7N8X deluxe
AMD XP+ 3000 (400FSB)
2 x 512mb TwinMos (PC3200)
GFTi4400 128mb
PSU350W

So unless Im doing something wrong I tried setting the CPU external frequency to 200 and the Memory to 100%.

I have the memory in slots 1&3. I also have a coolermaster Aero 7 and temperatures dont seem to be an issue.

My problems is by the time I get into windows Im either getting BSOD or my system stalls. Although it was 400fsb ready out the box I also tried flashing the BIOS.

Any advice you can throw my way?

Edit: Should also add, system is stable if extrnal frequency is set to 166mhz but Id like to use my new chip to its full potential :)

Is there a way to get some sort of SATA > ATA adapter and run 2-4 more ATA hard drives off the SATA ports? Right now I have two ATA optical drives, and two ATA hard drives hooked up, so there is no way for me to connect my other ATA hard drives.

Originally posted by -=iNsAnE=-
DO NOT mix RAM brands.. i had 512 MB of pc3200 samsung and 512 MB of pc3200 corsair.. i figured since they are the same speed they should work.. boy was i wrong.. windows wouldnt wanna install.. after about 15 times i finally got it up.. but windows would only run for about 30 sec before it would crash.. get BSOD and other errors and locks up.. and after a few of these lock ups it would just die again compeltly and need a new format.. i took my samsung out and it worked great.. i'm assuming it would have worked with only the samsung too.. but i chose to use my corsair
i have the asus A7N8X ver 2.0. i have 2 sticks of 512mb pc2100. one is samsung, the other is infineon. i did not have to touch the bios after installing the second module. it did it all on its own, and during quick post, assures me that its running dual channel mode.

on a different note- i had a quick ? about the gainward geforce4 ti4600 card. i tried to upgrade to it, and at first, everything seemed fine. then, vertical lines consisting of strange characters (letter/number things) started appearing across my screen. it is a used card, so i assumed it to have been mistreated and just a dud. but is there maybe something i need to adjust in the bios?

Most people seem to recommend the 1002 BIOS, why is this so?

Also, how do I get the Voice Post working?

I have a question: Anyone else seeing their board overvolt by .05? As in setting it to 1.65 Vcore has CPUZ showing 1.704?

With it going that high, I thought I'd get a decent overclock out of my 2400+, but I'm still only hitting 2255mhz before random locks happen. It's revision 2.XX board according to CPUZ, don't know how to check as I don't see anything on the MB.

Oh, and has there been a way to unlock week 40+ CPU's yet? Running at 150x15 sucks. Much rather be at 200x11 like everyone else who can clock at 2.2ghz. Or am I S.O.L. and better off getting a mobile 2500+

Originally posted by SulSeeker
I have a question: Anyone else seeing their board overvolt by .05? As in setting it to 1.65 Vcore has CPUZ showing 1.704?

With it going that high, I thought I'd get a decent overclock out of my 2400+, but I'm still only hitting 2255mhz before random locks happen. It's revision 2.XX board according to CPUZ, don't know how to check as I don't see anything on the MB.

Oh, and has there been a way to unlock week 40+ CPU's yet? Running at 150x15 sucks. Much rather be at 200x11 like everyone else who can clock at 2.2ghz. Or am I S.O.L. and better off getting a mobile 2500+

My board has always overvolted by .05 so I don't think your alone in this respect, and at the default voltage (1.65 cum 1.70) I get sod all overclocking potential.

I also have a week 40+ CPU - haven't managed to find any information about unlocking it yet. Please post here if you get anywhere.

Ya im gettin' a over volt also on my A7N8X-E, which is really no big deal since i oc anywayz. in my bios it sayz vc 1.675 and on Motherboard Monitor it sayz 1.73v.

I have done everything. I cant get this board to boot, black screen is all i see.. i just got another stick of RAM thought maybe mine was dead...I am running out of money here. almost up on $700.
Here are my specs
ASUS A7N8X
Athlon XP 2500+
2x256MB Mushkin PC3200
Saphire ATI 9800PRO 128MB RAM
WD 120GB HD

This thing is making me mad!!!

Originally posted by master6238
I have done everything. I cant get this board to boot, black screen is all i see.. i just got another stick of RAM thought maybe mine was dead...I am running out of money here. almost up on $700.
Here are my specs
ASUS A7N8X
Athlon XP 2500+
2x256MB Mushkin PC3200
Saphire ATI 9800PRO 128MB RAM
WD 120GB HD

This thing is making me mad!!!

What kind of power supply do you have?

I bought this board a while ago and have had no problems with it. I had a second PC and one of the appealing things about this MB was the dual lan so I could build myself sometime down the road a wee network. I have had connected to my 3com port my DSL, and attempted to set up my second pc directly thru the Nvidia port, however, in using win-xps network setup program it doesnt detect the other PC on the network. I havent upgraded the OS on PC 2 to Win XP yet, but it didnt seem like a huge issue. In searching Asus website and the net, nothing covers this aspect of troubleshooting.
Can someone provide a noob setup guide, I can handle a basic network but this seems a bit beyond me as this is integrated into the MB itself, and I would rather not go buy a hub. Or a link to a place to find help.
Also, when I did connect my cables, it had a tendency to drop my DSL connection on the 3Com port. I also couldnt find anything on my install disk relating to the Nvidia LAN, the 3Com drivers are easy to find. Thanks!

A7N8X-Deluxe w/amd 2600+, 512mb 3200 ram, 80g hd Nvidia 5600-128 running stable for 6 months, nothing overclocked or wonky.

Blofeld667, the number of the guy carrying the beast's luggage.

I've got a bunch (10) of the A7N8X-VM/400 boards, and I'm having a nasty time with memory... I've tried the following DIMMS, and have been unstable with WinXP, WinNT4, Knoppix 3.3, Insert Linux 1.2.4, and MemTest32 v3.0

Did not work:

PNY Ultra 512MB PC2700 (1 stick) D512MPC27OPT
BRAVO ADP328TM-60 (Date Code 0401C, Qty 16 chips per module)

Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2700 (1 stick) VS512NB333
SpecTec (?) AE S80032VMCTW-6A (Date Code 0312, Qty 16 chips)

Kingston ValueRAM 512MB PC2700 (10 sticks!) KVR333X64C25/512
P723845-0508879 - ELPIDA M2S56D30ATP 035099B13-60 (Qty 16 chips)
Tried single and paired

Did work:

Corsair Platinum Series CMX256A-3200C2PT (2 sticks)
(chips covered by heat spreader) (Qty 8 chips per module)
Tried single and paired

That's 4 types (and 14 sticks) of RAM (on 10 motherboards), and only one type works properly... I'm using the IGP (these are destined to be corporate desktops), and I'm dying to know who's had success with this board. ASUS's tech support has been worthless so far (call the memory manufacturer). All of the memory tests cleanly on a standard A7N8X motherboard, so the RAM appears to be good...

Current theories:
1) That the 16 chips per module DIMMS don't like the IGP.
2) There are issues with PC2700 DIMMS in general.
3) There are issues with 512MB DIMMS in general.

I'm using the following parts:
Antec SL220W power supplies
AMD Athlon 2500+ CPUs
Plextor 52/24/52 CDRW drives
Western Digital WD400JP drives

Any ideas / help would be appreciated.

This may be a dumb question and I saw it briefly touched upon on the first page, but I'd really like to try it anyways. My previous mb (a gigabyte GA-7VAXP) had a couple capacitors blow out on it last Saturday. I did some research and saw that this was a good board, so I went ahead and bought it (the A7N8X-X) refurbished. I went with the refurbished because I'm planning on upgrading m/b, proc, and memory this summer after the socket 939s start showing up.

Anyways, because of the reason for upgrading, I didn't have much option as far as backing up my old files. What I would love to be able to do is find a way to boot into my previous install of Windows XP. Has anyone discovered a way to upgrade from a Via chipset m/b to this one and not have to reformat/reinstall? Even if I had could boot into the previous install temporarily just so I could back up everything that I need and then reformat. I pretty much need to get into my current installation in order to do a complete backup. I've got e-mails in Outlook that I haven't had a chance to back up to a .pst file and Quicken files that I'm not entirely sure I can backup without being in the program itself.

If anybody has any tips as to how I could get into the previous install, even if it wasn't entirely stable or fast (safe mode would work even), it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Originally posted by trantjd
This may be a dumb question and I saw it briefly touched upon on the first page, but I'd really like to try it anyways. My previous mb (a gigabyte GA-7VAXP) had a couple capacitors blow out on it last Saturday. I did some research and saw that this was a good board, so I went ahead and bought it (the A7N8X-X) refurbished. I went with the refurbished because I'm planning on upgrading m/b, proc, and memory this summer after the socket 939s start showing up.

Anyways, because of the reason for upgrading, I didn't have much option as far as backing up my old files. What I would love to be able to do is find a way to boot into my previous install of Windows XP. Has anyone discovered a way to upgrade from a Via chipset m/b to this one and not have to reformat/reinstall? Even if I had could boot into the previous install temporarily just so I could back up everything that I need and then reformat. I pretty much need to get into my current installation in order to do a complete backup. I've got e-mails in Outlook that I haven't had a chance to back up to a .pst file and Quicken files that I'm not entirely sure I can backup without being in the program itself.

If anybody has any tips as to how I could get into the previous install, even if it wasn't entirely stable or fast (safe mode would work even), it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Try Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

I don't know if this even applies to you but I thought I'd try! :D

Good luck

Will the A7N8X E-Deluxe run an SATA drive as a second drive without RAID?

I just came into a great deal on a 120GB SATA WD and i want to use it as a slave until I do my quarterly re-install at which time I would like to use it as my main drive. Will this work?

BTW, I have not had any issues with this board or the hardware connected to it.

A7N8X E- Deluxe Rev?
2500+ Barton
Thermaltake Silent Boost cooler
1 x 512MB Crucial PC3200
WD 80GB HDD
Radeon AIW 9800 Pro

Hi, I'm a newcomer so I hope I'm doing this right!
I've just done my first PC build and can't get the BIOS to detect my SATA HDD. The strange thing is that the Raid controller BIOS CAN see the HDD as it displays the type and capacity.
I've read through this entire thread and my head is now spinning so if I have missed something pertinent to my problem I apologise.

Can anyone help? I am severely frustrated ( just my way of saying p***sed off) at not being able to get my system operational.

POST seems fine and Mad Maisy (or whatever someone called the android) does not tell me that "no HDD is detected" and I get the single beep. When I go into the BIOS update prog. and Press Enter for "IDE HDD Auto-Detection" nothing is detected.
I've set the jumper to enable SATA and connected my HDD to the Primary SATA port with the SATA cable. There are no jumpers to set on the HDD (I believe they are not used on SATA drives). I have a CD-R/RW connected to the parallel IDE connector(secondary).
Whole config is:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.06
AMD Athlon XP 2800+Barton core CPU
Maxtor Diamond Max + 9 120GB SATA 150 8MB HDD
512MB Crucial DDR 3200 DDR SDRAM DIMM x 1
MSI CR52-M CD-R/RW
Chaintech MX440-8X VGA card

I haven't replaced the battery yet, could it be something as simple as that?

Any offers of advice would be really welcome.
Many thanks

Crisis over! Apparently the BIOS does not list SATA drives. I was advised to just connect the drive, boot from the XP install CD, hit F6 to install 3rd party device drivers to pick up the SATA drivers that I'd previously copied to floppy disk and carry on from there. Oh, and to specify [SCSI] in the Boot sequence in the BIOS setup rather than [HDD-0].
Hope this may be useful to someone else.

After about 5 months of buying new stuff for this motherboard, and switching out ram, cpu's etc etc, ive come to the conclusion to just RMA the board. I even tried with a 500w power supply, and still nothing. Asus is doing everything they possibly can to try not to have me RMA it. Ive gotten about 3 emails from tech support sayingthe exact same thing "reset cmos... blah blah blah" i dont think they read the part where ive said i bought several new cmos batteries for it and reset the jumpers numerous times lol...

hope everyone else has things go over better than this has.

Er1kTheRed, I have one of those boards as well. I am using a set of the Kingston HyperX PC4000 256 Meg modules. What I am having a problem on is getting the Ahtlon 2500+ to run as a 2500+. It is only running at 133 FSB and not 166FSB. I can't figure out how to change it. Any suggestions would be apreciated. Thanks.

Ok, well, I wanted to start building a computer for the first time.

Specs:

Athlon Xp 3200+
512 Crucial Ram
Western Digital 120 gig
DVD Rom
No floppy

So anyway, first time, got everything set up, or so it seems. I turn on the power, and I get a continuous beeping from either the motherboard of power supply. This is odd, because before when I turned it on I got at least the green light on the motherboard to work, now it's not working. But anyway, so it won't boot up. Suggestions? :confused:

edit: I was told to reset the BIOS, so I took out the battery and switched the jumpers, still same problem.

I have went through 1 month of terror trying to troubleshoot my own ASUS A7N8X
a couple months back.

GreySkyMan
If its making a Beeeeeep........Beeeeeeep...........Beeeeeep try a diffrent stick of ram

PruBowl300
Restart Comp Go to BIOS>Advanced>Advanced Chipset Features>
Change your CPU External CPU Spd. to 166MHz make sure the Mulitiplyer is
at 11.0x

Alex A. said:
I have went through 1 month of terror trying to troubleshoot my own ASUS A7N8X
a couple months back.

GreySkyMan
If its making a Beeeeeep........Beeeeeeep...........Beeeeeep try a diffrent stick of ram

PruBowl300
Restart Comp Go to BIOS>Advanced>Advanced Chipset Features>
Change your CPU External CPU Spd. to 166MHz make sure the Mulitiplyer is
at 11.0x

Nope, a continous high-pitched beep.

This not within the current topic, but I am having wierd sound probs with my dlx 2.0. I keep hearing this weird buzzing in the background from the onboard audio. It gets wierder and more noticable when the cpu is doing something. For example, I move my mouse around and the sounds starts changing. Anybody run into any similar issues with the a7n8x onboard sound???

BTW, it's not a driver issue, I've tried reinstalling drivers, and it occurs before the pc boots into windows. I also got a front port audio thing connected so I could hook up my head phones to the front. I've tried taking out the front port audio thingy, and put the jumpers back on the audio pins, you guys know the 6 or so pins in the back by the agp slot, and that didn't make a single difference. The static and buzzing occurs when the speakerz are plugged into the back line out, or on the line out in the front. It happens with my headphones and speakers.

digiram said:
This not within the current topic, but I am having wierd sound probs with my dlx 2.0. I keep hearing this weird buzzing in the background from the onboard audio. It gets wierder and more noticable when the cpu is doing something. For example, I move my mouse around and the sounds starts changing. Anybody run into any similar issues with the a7n8x onboard sound???

BTW, it's not a driver issue, I've tried reinstalling drivers, and it occurs before the pc boots into windows. I also got a front port audio thing connected so I could hook up my head phones to the front. I've tried taking out the front port audio thingy, and put the jumpers back on the audio pins, you guys know the 6 or so pins in the back by the agp slot, and that didn't make a single difference. The static and buzzing occurs when the speakerz are plugged into the back line out, or on the line out in the front. It happens with my headphones and speakers.

I've had this before as well (although with a different mobo). If you havent already checked it, make sure that the microphone is muted in the sound control panel. Thats what was causing my problem (I am using AC97 onboard audio), and hopefully it will help with your issue.

PruBowl300 said:
Er1kTheRed, I have one of those boards as well. I am using a set of the Kingston HyperX PC4000 256 Meg modules. What I am having a problem on is getting the Ahtlon 2500+ to run as a 2500+. It is only running at 133 FSB and not 166FSB. I can't figure out how to change it. Any suggestions would be apreciated. Thanks.

I know that there's a jumper on the board that will change your default FSB value from 133 to 166/200... It's kinda obvious, but have you looked?? It'll let you bump your FSB in your BIOS after that....

Wow, a whole sticky just for this series of board?!

My A7N8X-X works great. Vcore runs a bit over, usually 0.03V over.
Specs:
AQXEA 2500+
512MB Kingston Valueram PC2700
Vantec Aeroflow
BBATI 9800PRO
SBLive Value
-other stuff not directly on board

Even with the PC2700, it went to 230MHz FSB and only crashed out of games after several hours of play. My LAN connection worked then too, though I've heard many reports of people's onboard ethernet stopping working at such FSB speeds.

A friend of mine corrupted the BIOS in his A7N8X just by setting up the BIOS. Had that fixed, and now it works fine.

I swapped in my SBLive card from an old machine we have because the onboard sound on my mobo wasn't good enough for me. Fuzzy. I figured that with all that's going on on the board, the onboard audio can't be that great.

I'm not sure about the beeping all you guys are getting. I don't want to remove a stick of ram when it's running. I had a friend do that, and he fried the slot in his mobo, and pitted the contacts on the ram pcb.

I have looked all over for a jumper and there is no options in the Bios that you can changed. I am have been looking for any information, but I can't seem to find anything. I know somebody has to have this board with a working 333 FSB CPU that can help.

PruBowl300 said:
I have looked all over for a jumper and there is no options in the Bios that you can changed. I am have been looking for any information, but I can't seem to find anything. I know somebody has to have this board with a working 333 FSB CPU that can help.

Have you flashed your BIOS yet?

Jumper:
jumper001.gif

Have you played around with the settings in the Advanced Chipset Settings (think that's what they call it)?

Flash your BIOS, check the jumper. The pic above is from the Asus site, but doesn't show FSB400 for some reason, though it's part of the FSB333/266 setting shown.

That's where you misunderstood my post. I am having the problem with my A7N8X-VM/400 motherboard. I have the A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 1.04 and a A7N8X-E Deluxe also. I know my way around that motherboard. I am just having the problem with the mATX version. Hopefully somebody will have an idea.

Can you RMA your board? I looked through the manual for your board, and there's nothing in BIOS to touch FSB, multipliers, mem timings, voltages, etc. Maybe your BIOS is corrupted somehow?

im also having problems...everything boots up my motherboard has the green light and all the fans run + the heatsink fan, i hear my hardrive kick in all my led lights on my cdrom works but i think my floppy is dead i have another one i can put in but thats not the problem...i cant get any screen up at all it hear everything working or so it seems...but blank screen i hear no beeps and cant even get post or bios up...heres my set up i bought EVERYTHING from newegg, i checked all the connections and jumpers but still nothing

A7N8X-E Deluxe Rev 2.0
AMD Athlon 3200+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Corsair PC-3200 512
Asus CD-ROM
CoolerMaster HHC-001 Heatsink
Maxtor 80GB Sata HD
Sony Floppy
Raidmax Case W/420 watt PSU

what do i do :confused:

Back