A7N8X-E Problem

I just recieved my new A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo, with an Athlon XP 3200+ and 1 GB of Corsair TwinX memory. When I boot up it gives a Floppy Disk failure message (whether there's a floppy drive attached or not) and Windows XP won't load. Windows setup will run up to a point, then it crashes as well. Any suggestions would be a great help.

Have you tried disabling Boot up floppy seek in the BIOS? Not likely the problem as Win XP won't load for you, but worth a shot. If not maybe clear the CMOS and try again...

Try updating to the latest BIOS and reseting the CMOS. That helped me in a similar case with a non-Asus board.

If you're still getting that problem, then try to make sure (if you have the resources / spare parts / etc) that the other parts of your system are working 100% ok. Perhaps try a different mobo if you can.

On a related side-note, I recently bought 3 Asus boards for my work Athlon XP platforms. 2 of the 3 were completely bad, and the 3rd had your floppy problem. I RMA'd all three boards (after a LONG and arduous process of determining that EVERY single component besides the mobo was good) and then 1 of the 3 RMA's were bad! Returned them all (and paid the 15% restocking fee) and bought brand xxx (brand name omitted to avoid flame wars ;) )

I wish you the best of luck.

As it turns out, I had to go buy a bigger power supply. Windows would only load when I unplugged enough stuff at one time. That pretty much cleared everything up, except the ethernet wouldn't work. Once I gave up on reloading drivers and just reinstalled WinXP that started working, too. Man, this thing is FAST. Going to pop in my Audigy 2 card....though the onboard sound is killer......then tweak the RAM a little to see what I can get out of it. Glad I finally said goodbye to my old SiS730 chipset and 2x AGP!!!!

Back