A64 Mobo To Get?

topslop1

2[H]4U
Which A64 mobo to purchase? I'm looking at the nforce 3 250 GB chipset. What motherboard out there is the best for my hard earned dollar? Or should I be waiting another week for a better release? No, I'm not planning on getting the 939 offering.

Is there something you don't like about the 939s? They look interesting to me, but I dont know much about them.

Clem, how is the overclockability with that board? How does it run in general? Any weird quirks or issues with it?

I was looking at the chaintech vf3 250 but I may go with this board instead as I've heard so much anticipation around the forums.

Yea I'd like to know about the MSI K8N too, I'm almost defo goin for that one, so any issues with it?

mdmikep said:
Is there something you don't like about the 939s? They look interesting to me, but I dont know much about them.

Yea, the fact that they are not available and that the 939 chips cost a massive amount of cash.

Well after spending the best part of an hour reading that (it's almost half two in the morning and I can't sleep cos of an exam tomorrow :rolleyes: ) I still am going with the MSI. Plus it's the only one that i've seen so far that is already out here

I still dont have it but when i get it sure i'll tell ya if it's pretty good.

I ended up with the Chaintech from the Zenith value series. All the OOMPH, none of the extra crap.

That's a sick SFF, I like it. I've had only one Epox board in the past and I would have to say that it was my first and favorite board that I've used. I don't think I've had as much fun with a single board after that one. I'll have to check out prices and availibility for everything as soon as I have a few free hours. I'd prefer to order everything from Newegg but if someone else has it in stock I may have to veer off my normal buying course.

I just got the MSI K8N and after a couple days messing with it, I am happy.

The quirks...

The RAID driver disk does not work during install. I had to download a new file and make my own floppy.

The system would not OC past 209 FSB... anyhting higher and the SATA RAID would not POST. I downloaded a new beta BIOS - 1.13 and now I get to 213 before the RAID fails to POST. (http://www.tomhirst.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/w7030nms113.zip)

The temperature guage in the BIOS and in the MSI utility says my System temp is 55C while my CPU is 38C. I don't really believe those numbers. The CPU is definitely running cool, but my case temp is NOT that high. The North Bridge does not have a fan, so maybe it is getting hot? Don't know.

The Good..

Seems to be very stable so far. I have run a ton of benchmarks and played City of Hero's for several hours with NO issues at all. With only two days run time, I can't say for sure, but it seems to be very stable.

Other then that, it POST's and boots quick. My system "seems" faster then ever (very snappy)

So far I will recommend it!

Anything special about the memory for the the 64 boards? From what I am reading it looks like my corsair xms 3200 memory should work in one. If the memory is DDR 400 and there are no plans for OC'ing, should be good to go?

Back