A64 and RAM

Fryguy8 said:
with 4 sticks,you might need to use 2T command rate.

Also, just out of curiosity, run sisoft sandra hard drive test. My board was hard locking for some random reason with my hard drive plugged into one of the SATA slots. I changed it to a different slot and it was fine. Would hard lock every time when sisoft probed the drive (yet I got windows installed on it etc.)

Not only is 2T a given with 4 RAM sticks, some mobos will even refuse to run the mem at DDR400 with 4 slots full and revert back to 333 (166mhz), usually you can correct that with manual settings but you'd have to test for stability of 'course (would still need to do 2T regardless).

SATA 1&2 are not locked, SATA 3&4 are locked. If you OC past 220 HTT SATA !&2 become unstable and unusable, nForce3 issue. That may have been your issue regarding the HDD.

Regarding the Crucial Ballistix (Micron -5B G chips), it's pretty good, about on par with the better hand-picked Samsung TCCDs (from OCZ, etc.)... Though recently they changed their specs on the site to 2-3-2 from 2-2-2 so if you want the absolute lowest timings at stock or near-stock speeds something like OCZ's Rev. 2 might still be slightly better.

Ideally you want whatever OC you achieve to report no errors in Windows nor on a mem test program, many people just stress test with Prime but stuff like memtest86 will focus on the memory alone and will tell you how reliable the OC truly is. You can get pretty high OCs with some moderate timings and still be error-free though.

Impulse said:
Not only is 2T a given with 4 RAM sticks, some mobos will even refuse to run the mem at DDR400 with 4 slots full and revert back to 333 (166mhz), usually you can correct that with manual settings but you'd have to test for stability of 'course (would still need to do 2T regardless).

Yep, for example it would appear that the Abit AV8 and Asus A8V don't like running 4 sticks at 3200.

I have been having similar problems with my Asus A7N8-XE deluxe matched with corsair xms3200ll (256x2). I set it up a while ago with a Ti4600 from another system that worked fine. I would get blue screens and "driver error" as the supposed problem. I did all software updates. I swapped out the ram first. Then RTV'ed the mobo. It took a couple months for the problem to come back...but when it did, every time I went into 3d(games) or did a large file transfer with my portable HDD, it would also blue screen & reboot. Now I am awaiting my RTV's on the rest of the computer (rma on the raptor, the cpu, and gpu...nothing left except the DVD-R, but that checked out ok on another system), and I will even swap out my SATA and IDE cables just in case it's just a problem with one of these.

I am thinking the problem is the gpu right now, as when I tried it on another system now, after being in the A7N8X for a few months, it tends to seize up the computer after say, 15mintues of gaming. Hmmmm. But that doesnt explain the seize up when I do large file transfers. Or is the 4x Ti 4600 incompatible with my mobo? I have gone through all the bios and driver updates that Asus could give me, but well see. I get a new GPU and all...if it still doesnt work, I am going to suspect the ram being incompatible with my board. Anyone else have issues with corsair xms3200ll and Asus/nforce2 boards?

I had some major trouble with corsair's 3200 cl2 platinum and 4000 platinum at 1t on my kv8 pro. They both ran faster than rated speeds, but 210 was the limit for 1t. On a whim, I tried some generic ram from work and it can hit 245 at 1t reliably for half the cost ;-) Sandra mem bench gets around 3700 with 2.5-3-3-7 timings. Not that I would ever really notice the difference if I was doing productive things with my pc...like playing Halo.

undertheradar, try switching the ram sticks around in different DIMM slots first. Then try increasing the Vdimm to 2.8V or so. You might have rev1.1 XMS3200LL with BH-5 with 2-2-2-5 SPD, which a lot of nForce2 northbridge memory controllers find too tight of a timing. In that case you might have to loosen the timings to 2-3-2-6 or 2-3-3-6. If all this doesn't work, a BIOS update is in order.

On the Crucial Ballistix PC3200 and PC4000...they have newer Micron mT -5B G chips instead of the -5B C chips that OCZ EB had. They are made to run 2-2-2-5 @ DDR400 and run best at 2.5-2-2-5 intead of 3-2-2-5 like the OCZ EB. Ballistix seems to do 240-250MHz @ 2.5-2-2-5 or 2.5-2-3-5 with more than 3.0V not really helping much. Samsung TCCD based memory can scale really high with low voltage...in most cases more than 2.9V reaches the point of diminishing returns. But in S939 dual-channel platforms, 280-290MHz @ 2.5-3-3-10 1T in dual-channel is not uncommon (for good ram with good PCB's like OCZ PC3200 Plat rev2 and PQI Turbo PC3200, Corsair is switching to the PCB OCZ is using in TCCD based ram soon). But in S754, the more fickle single-channel memory controller makes it so that you can only have one stick in to reach 280-290MHz 1T and needs 2T with two sticks in oc'd that high.

DaveX said:
...But in S754, the more fickle single-channel memory controller makes it so that you can only have one stick in to reach 280-290MHz 1T and needs 2T with two sticks in oc'd that high.

I was able to push my 2x512 Corsair to 275 @ 2T, but running 2x512 Generic @245 1T yields higher sandra scores. I don't exactly play sandra tho. What do you think would be better for gaming/ripping audio at high variable bit rates/compressing the fat movies my camera makes?

Thanks!

Jodiuh said:
I was able to push my 2x512 Corsair to 275 @ 2T, but running 2x512 Generic @245 1T yields higher sandra scores. I don't exactly play sandra tho. What do you think would be better for gaming/ripping audio at high variable bit rates/compressing the fat movies my camera makes?

Thanks!

Encoding likes raw bandwidth (i.e. Netburst architecture on P4). How high can your 2x512MB Corsair go up to @ 1T? Whatever yields the most read/write bandwidth is what you should use. Try using Aida32 as a memory benchmark over Sandra.

Both the Corsair stix (4000 and 3200cl2) topped out at 210 @ 1t. Here's some shots...

Corsair 4000 @ 2t
Corsair2T.jpg

Supertalent 3200 cl2
Supertalent1T.jpg

Aida32, huh? Would you mind giving me the 411 on it?

Jodiuh said:

It's a diagnostic tool like Sandra...it also contains a memory benchmark that has read/write tests.

"undertheradar, try switching the ram sticks around in different DIMM slots first. Then try increasing the Vdimm to 2.8V or so. You might have rev1.1 XMS3200LL with BH-5 with 2-2-2-5 SPD, which a lot of nForce2 northbridge memory controllers find too tight of a timing. In that case you might have to loosen the timings to 2-3-2-6 or 2-3-3-6. If all this doesn't work, a BIOS update is in order."

Thanks for the info. I will try boosting the Vdimm to 2.8V, as I have already done the whole swapping around slots and all the BIOS updates possible. BTW, how do you tell if you have rev 1.1? So I suppose putting twin sticks of XMS3200-XLpro wouldnt help any...

Jodiuh said:
Both the Corsair stix (4000 and 3200cl2) topped out at 210 @ 1t. Here's some shots...

Corsair 4000 @ 2t
Corsair2T.jpg

Supertalent 3200 cl2
Supertalent1T.jpg

What is this program? What are it's features and can I use it with my Asus A8V Deluxe?

And where does one get it?

Moose777 said:
What is this program? What are it's features and can I use it with my Asus A8V Deluxe?

And where does one get it?

Moose777 what are you talking about? :confused:

undertheradar, you said you have XMS3200LL right? Or do you have XMS3200XL? XMS3200LL rev1.1 (it says so on the sticker on the heatspreader) is BH-5 and comes with a SPD of 2-2-2-5 1T which motherboards may find too agressive and may need to be lowered.

DaveX said:
Moose777 what are you talking about? :confused:.
Oh, I was ddressing Jodiuh and asking about tha tprogram he's got pictures up here in the thread. I wanted to know what it was.

Moose777 said:
Oh, I was ddressing Jodiuh and asking about tha tprogram he's got pictures up here in the thread. I wanted to know what it was.

Google the following everything you see in my taskbar, but I think you're referring to the little black "ABIT" labeled OCGuru. Unfortunately, this is ABIT only. I don't know what you're board offers in the way of managing system settings from within windows, but you can also try Clockgen and...damn, brain fart...

Good luck and don't fry your system mate!

Jod

dewhite said:
Did you say, doesn't go above 65? 65 is a little warm man...
Not really, I hit 70's all the time.. These chips don't die untill you go into high 80's--90's.

Jodiuh said:
Google the following everything you see in my taskbar, but I think you're referring to the little black "ABIT" labeled OCGuru. Unfortunately, this is ABIT only. I don't know what you're board offers in the way of managing system settings from within windows, but you can also try Clockgen and...damn, brain fart...

Good luck and don't fry your system mate!

Jod
Thanks. I'm finidng that Asus really doesn't offer much in the way of system managing through windows Everythign is done through the BIOS which I find to be bothersome.

Yeah, its just a PITA.

Gotta reboot, go intot he BIOS change some settings, reboot go back into Windows, if Windows doesn't agree with something reboot the system go back to the BIOS change some settings reboot.....it gets annoying after a while.

Usually, though, it won't boot at all if you go too far.. Unless, we're on the subject of memory, of course... But I test the maximum CPU overclock first, before overclocking the memory.

Back