a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 104402

a

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just purchased and played Zelda last night. Looked fine by my eyes, but then again it's been over 10 years since I last played it. I mean it definitely looked 8-bit, but no worse for wear due to just being on an HDTV. Same thing goes for when me and my friends played Bomberman over the weekend.

I have Gunstar Heroes on my Wii VC and on my 42" Samsung DLP I was very surprised at how it looked. It just looked like a Sega Genesis game stretched into widescreen ... no more, no less. It looked as good as it ever did on the Genesis back on my old 19" that I played it on 15 years ago, but playing it on a huge screen more than makes up for the widescreen stretch. I could always set my TV to 4:3 temporarily if the stretch was bothersome.

I wish they would lower the prices on these games. $8 is hard for me to spend on a 10+ year old SNES game.

I wish they would lower the prices on these games. $8 is hard for me to spend on a 10+ year old SNES game.

i have to agree with you... i own most of the games avaible on the original cartridges ... 4-5 $ would be enough and would sell way better

I think perhaps a 5-10 minute time limit, or the first level or two as a demo would be better that dropping the price. I mean, a lot of these games at their current price only appeal to people who played them and loved them when they originally came out. I think people would feel more secure in plopping down $5-10 if they had a chance to try it out first. As it stands I think people avoid buying for the completely legitimate fear that they'll lose interest immediately and have wasted the money.

I think perhaps a 5-10 minute time limit, or the first level or two as a demo would be better that dropping the price. I mean, a lot of these games at their current price only appeal to people who played them and loved them when they originally came out. I think people would feel more secure in plopping down $5-10 if they had a chance to try it out first. As it stands I think people avoid buying for the completely legitimate fear that they'll lose interest immediately and have wasted the money.

Not a bad idea, but I think a subscription service would be even better. I'd probably pay $10-15 a month if they had a great selection (though obviously I wouldn't pay that for the selection up now).

Honestly though, it seems like more or less everyone is of the agreement that the games are overpriced. I'm 100% positive that they would sell more than twice the number of vc games they currently are selling at half each current asking price. Also, its kinda dumb that everything is the same price...I know games have always been priced that way at release, and charging a premium for better games is a slippery slope leading to nowhere good (a max price cap might prevent this). But seriously now, games like baseball and tennis might be lucky to get .1% the number of sales that zelda gets at the same price.

It's okay. Looks more or less just like you hooked up the old system to your TV. Because the Wii essentially stretches everything (ie. everything is sent to your TV in 4:3 and YOU have to choose to stretch it), you'll need to tell your TV to show the picture in "normal" mode instead of "wide."
I still think the prices are STEEP, though. For just an emulated old game, you'd think they'd be no more than $5.

It's so funny how everyone bitches about the prices.

You know, there are plenty of people who remember Zelda, Super Mario, etc.. Those people will buy the games they want because of the nostalgia factor.. Price doesn't mean too much because it's not like they are buying the whole VC library.

The games that they see and never tried they won't buy. It's as simple as that. Sure, Nintendo MIGHT move more games if they were cheaper. But I know even if a game is 2$ if i never heard of it i probably won't buy it to play it on the wii. I'd rather buy a classic game i will love, or go to the store and buy a new wii game.

In other words if you don't like the prices don't bitch, just don't buy the games.

In other words if you don't like the prices don't bitch, just don't buy the games.

I think there is some justification in people complaining about the VC prices. A lot of these games are 10-20 years old and NoA is charging quite a bit for it. I'd be a bit less hesitant purchasing VC games if they dropped $2 across the board. The price of the games has been voiced up and down the NSider forums and I'm just waiting for Nintendo to respond to it.

Companies do hire people who are tasked to find opinions of people on various subjects. Lots of times they will look on internet message boards to find out what the general public is thinking. If they see an overwhelming number of people who say they would pay 5$ but not 8$ who knows, they might just listen and decide to change the price. Its doubtful but stranger things have happened.

I bet one of the main reasons why MS upgraded the 360 warranty was all of the talk on the internet about the failing 360s and the horrible warranty. The internet was also likely the main driving factor behind Nintendo offering replacement straps.

In other words, if you dont like people bitching about the price, dont read the thread instead of bitching to them about bitching about the price.

Companies do hire people who are tasked to find opinions of people on various subjects. Lots of times they will look on internet message boards to find out what the general public is thinking. If they see an overwhelming number of people who say they would pay 5$ but not 8$ who knows, they might just listen and decide to change the price. Its doubtful but stranger things have happened.

I bet one of the main reasons why MS upgraded the 360 warranty was all of the talk on the internet about the failing 360s and the horrible warranty. The internet was also likely the main driving factor behind Nintendo offering replacement straps.

In other words, if you dont like people bitching about the price, dont read the thread instead of bitching to them about bitching about the price.

QFT

because its illegal

Well there was a court ruling recently which made it sort of kind of legal to go through other means to get something which is no longer being made or available for purchase through reasonable means. Unfortunately it isn't very specific on the matter of abandonware, or what constitutes readily available.

Well there was a court ruling recently which made it sort of kind of legal to go through other means to get something which is no longer being made or available for purchase through reasonable means. Unfortunately it isn't very specific on the matter of abandonware, or what constitutes readily available.

due to the fact that nintendo is making these games available for purchase, such sites are going to be removed or sued quite quickly

Well, I'm the exact opposite. I've bought *I think* seven games that I've never owned, mostly from the TG16 library.

because its illegal

I know that for some of these sites, at least, the operator of the site makes sure to own a physical copy of each game, and the code for the emulator locks people out so that only one copy of each game can be running at once. I'm sure nintendo would find some way to shut him down anyway, even though this seems reasonable to me.

DaRat said:
It's so funny how everyone bitches about the prices.

No thanks, I'd prefer to express my opinion, particularly since its
a) shared by the vast majority of people, and
b) economically correct- this is about making money, is it not?

DaRat said:
The games that they see and never tried they won't buy.

2 solutions to this were already presented in the posts you responded to. Welcome to the thread.

because its illegal

I'm willing to bet you have thousands of "illegal" music files on your computer that you have no problems with ... ROM files for console games aren't any different, except you can't walk into a game store like Gamestop and buy a brand new, sealed-packaged version of Super Mario Brothers, so if anything, they are more "legal" than MP3's.

I completely agree that the Virtual Console games are way overpriced. Nintendo is completely missing the point. There are tens of thousands of games they could put on there, so why charge so much? Someone browsing through the Virtual Console library would be more likely to buy 5 NES games priced at $1 a piece than a single game priced at $5. It's inconcievable to think that someone would ever purchase every single title that exists for all the consoles on VC, so running out of games to sell should never be considered an issue. They will make just as much money or more by giving the consumer more for less than they will by selling overpriced goods.

Nintendo is just being greedy with the current pricing, and I hope it comes back to haunt them via poor sales.

It's inconcievable to think that someone would ever purchase every single title that exists for all the consoles on VC

That is actually an impossibility due to the storage capacity for virtual console games on the wii. It is a limited space, and sadly enough you can't transfer them onto an SD memory card.
I'm not surprised at that limitation, because obviously it would make it very easy for people to transfer games over the internet............but I digress. The other unfortunate reality with that is if your wii ever requires replacement, you lose your games.....period.

I'd have to throw in my hat at saying the prices for the games is too much. $10 for mario 64? When the version on DS is much better? And I'm sure at some point the DS games will be able to be played on the wii just like GBA games can be played on the GC. I'm really hoping so, because the new mario brothers for DS looks really fun.

That is actually an impossibility due to the storage capacity for virtual console games on the wii. It is a limited space, and sadly enough you can't transfer them onto an SD memory card.
I'm not surprised at that limitation, because obviously it would make it very easy for people to transfer games over the internet............but I digress. The other unfortunate reality with that is if your wii ever requires replacement, you lose your games.....period.

I have to guess that you're wrong about this. If I remember correctly, I read that once you download a virtual console game, it is tied to your Wii hardware ID such that even if you were to delete all your VC games, you can download them at any time in the future without paying again. If your Wii were to require replacement, it's reasonable to assume that nintendo would simply transfer the account information tied to your old Wii hardware ID to the new one. If they didn't, that would just be stupid and they wouldn't keep that policy for long.

I"m trying to get a hold of some wii points to download VC games.. i have a $22 store credit with a local games shop here.. bleh.. but they're all out.. :(

I want to DL mario 64 and Castlevania 4

yeah wondering about the replacement policy too. I haven't bought any VC games yet but i have 2000 unspent points on my wii and it has problems if i leave standby mode turned on (doesn't go into standby and eventually crashes) so I don't know if it's worth replacing or just leave standby mode turned off.

yeah wondering about the replacement policy too. I haven't bought any VC games yet but i have 2000 unspent points on my wii and it has problems if i leave standby mode turned on (doesn't go into standby and eventually crashes) so I don't know if it's worth replacing or just leave standby mode turned off.

what does standby mode do?

what's the difference between that.. and having wii 24 connect on..?

what does standby mode do?

what's the difference between that.. and having wii 24 connect on..?

not positive but my system works with wiiconnect24 on as long as I don't turn standby mode on as well. I assume this prevents it from downloading when I have the system turned off but I don't know that for sure.

actually that's the one thing that surprises me the most off the wii is how non-user friendly it is. not that it's hard to use but it's definitely not out of the box self explanitory to mass market america especially those who might not be as familiar with online game play or maybe game consoles in general.

Back