A XP-90 VS Dual-core pipe heatsink

I got a 80-to120 mm fan adapter from svc too. I am using the stock AMD heatpipe HS on my Opteron 165 @ 1.5v. When I replaced the stock 80mm fan with a 130mm Thermaltake Silent Wheel (54 cfm 1400rpm), the temp went up to 32c idle and 53 prime vs 27c and 48 prime with the stock fan. I tried it with anther 120mm fan and got the same worse result. Strange. I am back to using the stock fan.

Well thats not good news lol. :p Ill probably have similar results.

54 CFM is really pretty anemic for a big fan, especially when it's pushing air into a funnel. I would think the 120mm fan should have at least 80 CFM at a decent pressure in order to make this work. But that's just a guess on my part.

And the verdict is.....

Well I finally got my 80mm - 120mm fan adapter to replace the AMD stock heatpipe heatsink 80mm fan. The only 120mm fan I have to test is the 3-speed Antec that came with my p180 case.

So my test. My previous temps with the Amd stock heatpipe heatsink with the 80mm fan were about 34C idle and 44C load. I run an opteron 144 @ 2.7ghz on stock volts.

On one note, I think someone with a dual-core overclocked cpu, which would produce much more heat, might see more of a benefit than my low heat producting 2.7ghz stock volts single-core opteron.

--- Well basically, after load of 20 mins, with the 120mm fan on LOW setting (Im not sure what RPM speed this represents since I didnt have a 4pin-3pin adapter to plug it into the mobo. I had to plug it directly into the power supply). My temps were virtually identical to the 80mm fan, maybe about 1C higher even. In terms of sound, I think it was maybe slightly quieter than the 80mm fan.

--- With the antec 120mm fan on MEDIUM. My temps at load, did drop to about 41C. Now at MEDIUM speed, the fan is close to the same DBA level as the 80mm fan(at 2500rpm), perhaps "slightly" louder.

--- With my 120mm fan on HIGH. My load temps dropped to about 38C. Of course, on high, the fan is pretty loud so, I definitely wouldnt want to run it like that all the time. Perphaps a quieter 120mm fan with same CFM might be sweet.

So I suppose the 80mm-120mm fan adapter combined with a quiet, high cfm 120mm fan might be worth it. It brought my load temps down about 6C on high. All in all, it doesnt look like it did much. Which I suppose isnt shocking. My antec fan on "medium/low" was pretty much identical temps to the stock 80mm fan. I wish I knew the rpm speed on low setting but I dont. : /

All in all, id say the adapter was a waste of $5.50 in my opinion. Unless you got a high CFM and quiet fan. Or maybe just high cfm if you dont care about it being quiet. :p Even if run on medium setting, it was only a 3C drop in temps. Which isnt necessarily anything to care about. It is something but.....by no means worth buying a 120mm fan and adapter.

:p

A while ago i remember reading a write-up where they tested those 120mm-to-80mm adapters and they found that *most* of them didn't perform well at all. The review went on to explain that it's probably a design flaw in which the funnel would mis-direct the air, and therefore the weakened airflow couldn't be forced through the heatsink fins properly (reduced backpressure maybe?). That review did mention that one adapter design worked better than the others since it allowed some air to escape down the sides, instead of having it collide with the airflow inside the funnel.

I remembered this info because i ended up buying that same adapter ;), the 80mm variation anyways...

Thanks for the linkage. That makes perfect sense, since the air is being compressed into a much smaller area it would need some velocity in order to flow through the fins well.

The 120mm fan's results are actually very good. On high it reduced temps by 6C. That's a lot when you consider that this is probably 30-50% of the rise from case temp to cpu temp. That's quite a lot, even though it's still 38 degrees and an increase in volume which isn't all that sexy, but it's still significant.

I will add that since not all the air can enter the adapter, some amount of air will bounce back on the fan blades. This will stress the fan motor more and only a higher RPM or higher CFM will effectively fight this backpressure.

Mine finally came today.

I assume most of you are removing the stock thermal pad/paste, is that a correct assumption?

I was thinking about using it with the stock stuff, see what happens.

I removed the stock paste, gave the stock cooler a minor lapping, the tossed on some AS5. My idle temps are 29-30C.

I am suppose to get mine from a buddy by the end of the week. Cant wait to see how it perforns.

Thats what I use as well. Just so you know that stock paste is good.. You dont really need to remove it. Unless you already installed it then removed the heatsink.

If anyone was interested. I could sell the brand new 80mm - 120mm fan adapter I got from svc. I could do $4.50 shipped.

Xilikon said:
I will add that since not all the air can enter the adapter, some amount of air will bounce back on the fan blades. This will stress the fan motor more and only a higher RPM or higher CFM will effectively fight this backpressure.

Given the above consideration and the fact that my video card is *really* close to my CPU socket (I'm not sure I have room for the 80-120), I opted for this instead (updated link). The vents around the fan shroud (even though they're billed as "intakes") allow the excess air to blow on my RAM, my VRMs and a bit on my NB heatsink (passive design). Even though my temps did not drop with this larger fan, I'm going to keep it because of the cooling it provides to the surrounding components.

Thanks for the link SJetski71. I sent a friend an email last night when I saw your post to see if he wanted one also so we could save on shipping. The guy still had 41 left. I just heard back from my friend and ordered two and that guy on Ebay only has 12 left afterwards. Talk about selling like hotcakes!!

SJetski71 said:
The AMD X2 heatpipe heatsink is back in stock
Yes, it is the correct one with 4 heatpipes on the same side and the "H" shaped copper base.

Yes, be careful... I ordered one and I got the wrong one. However, it's the seller mistake since he used the pic of the correct one without having the actual exact model.

Just make sure the 4 heatpipes is on the same side and the base is H-shaped then you are good to go.

Aww, my XP-120 looks crap in comparision to others..
Whats better, quieter and available somewhere other then ebay ?

Xilikon said:
Yes, be careful... I ordered one and I got the wrong one. However, it's the seller mistake since he used the pic of the correct one without having the actual exact model.

Just make sure the 4 heatpipes is on the same side and the base is H-shaped then you are good to go.

Did he make it up and send the correct one when you brought it to his attention?

Shock_Hunter said:
Aww, my XP-120 looks crap in comparision to others..
Whats better, quieter and available somewhere other then ebay ?

What would be quieter than a good 120mm fan ?

Ok, I have yet to put the dual-core heatsink on. I had stopped using Speedfan for quite some time but fired it up to get some before temps. I was actually surprised at what my CPU temp was with my XP-90. Might just be the cold weather lately but the AMD cooler is staying in the box for now.

Roberty said:
Did he make it up and send the correct one when you brought it to his attention?

I got a partial refund but kept the wrong one. Since I have a poor overclocker, the heatsink perform well for me still.

Roberty said:
If i'm not mistaken i believe Xilikon bought it from a different merchant (?)

Btw, i updated the X2 HSF deal link since the last batch has since sold out.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I also bought from Figaro and got the wrong heatsink.

I finally ended up getting the new amd stock cooler (had a friend with one that he was no longer using so got it for free). But for some reason I get a worse overclock with it then the one that came with my x2 3800. I have reseated it a cpl times now, reapplied the AS5 a cpl times. But I cannot get it stable at anything over 2.2ghz. With the cooler that came with my x2 3800 (which is the old amd stock cooler) I can do 2.5ghz at stock voltage prime stable. Any ideas?

How good is the stock fan on the Stock Copper Heatpipe HSF? I've got an extra 80mm Panflo Med. Speed (no rpm monitoring).

Would it be a good idea to try it?

The other option I'm looking at is the 80mm -> 120mm adapter from SVC with my extra antec 3 speed fan like Retsam on page 5.

Back