A WoW Graphical Update?

aFive

2[H]4U
Searched all over the web to find nothing. Does anybody know if Blizzard is planning to update the aging WoW engine? Would be quite nice if they did :)

I remember reading something from one of the Blizzard guys where they said they built the game so that they could update the graphics later down the road. So they do have plans for it. When? Who knows? Hopefully soon cause it is starting to show its age.

I remember reading something from one of the Blizzard guys where they said they built the game so that they could update the graphics later down the road. So they do have plans for it. When? Who knows? Hopefully soon cause it is starting to show its age.

Yea, it sure does. I really hope so too. I want to get back into some MMO, WoW is cool but engine is showing its age, would have to do LOTRO this time around probably.

Graphics slowly get better with each expansion. The problem with them giving the option to use high graphics is that too many of the predominantly brain-dead player base won't understand why they can't run high at 200000fps.

Even I high res texture pack would go along way to improving the look IMO. Its always going to look cartoony (which i like), but they could still add more details and more complex models.

Graphics slowly get better with each expansion. The problem with them giving the option to use high graphics is that too many of the predominantly brain-dead player base won't understand why they can't run high at 200000fps.

Yea true, most people that play wow are kids anyway. Just spent couple of hours playing LOTRO, omg I have not had this much fun in a long time, maybe I should stick to that, looks great too.

Yea true, most people that play wow are kids anyway. Just spent couple of hours playing LOTRO, omg I have not had this much fun in a long time, maybe I should stick to that, looks great too.

Right. This post screams troll. A whole hell of a lot of people play WoW. Not just kids. And some of us even have rigs that would blow LOTRO away. If looks are all that's important in a game, well, that's something you have to decide for yourself.

If you are going to post, at least post something constructive. And yes, i would LOVE a graphical update to WoW. But it's not necessary, as the game works just fine as is. If it's not your cut of tea, move on and have fun with whatever floats your boat.

There is no reason to belittle those who like something you do not.

A realtime HDR lighting system with dynamic shadows would do wonders for WoW graphics, right now there is no lighting of any kind. But sadly like someone already said, it would just cause a massive bitchfest on forums by idiots who are trying to run it with 4xAA at high res on like a 6600gt or some weak shit like that. I had a few of these people in my old raiding guild (which just killed Illidan btw) and helping them get the game running adequately was like banging your head againt the wall.

Blizzard was very smart to keep the engine light, many are running the game on laptops with integrated video and as long as people keep subscribing (over 9 million now) it doesnt really matter. Many wow people dont really play anything else and have no point of comparion so to them the graphics look just fine.

to do a complete upgrade would be a rather massive endeavor. a lot of the scenery would need to be replaced, and thats a lot of artwork.

Right. This post screams troll. A whole hell of a lot of people play WoW. Not just kids. And some of us even have rigs that would blow LOTRO away. If looks are all that's important in a game, well, that's something you have to decide for yourself.

If you are going to post, at least post something constructive. And yes, i would LOVE a graphical update to WoW. But it's not necessary, as the game works just fine as is. If it's not your cut of tea, move on and have fun with whatever floats your boat.

I'm not sure how is trolling in any way as he was agreeing with MY statement. You need to open your eyes if you don't notice how many CHILDREN are playing WoW in this day and age.

Ever since BC came out, the game has had an incredible increase in young teenagers and people's children.

Luckily I have found a guild on Dunemaul that is made up of adults(20+) and the game is fun again.

You have made me laugh. Good humor and truth in one post go too far. :p

What? How is that a troll post? Read what others have said before you go and defend WoW with all your life.Seriously, a ton of folks that I have met are kids, most of them do not even have any idea what a video card is. I understand that there is a base of intellegent players in that game, but compared to kids, that base is marginally small. I understand that you have a really cool moderator title, but please refrain from calling me a troll.

WoW puts more value into their art direction than they do their graphics engine, which I think is good, because they build their environments to get the most out of what they have. You can definitely see a big difference in the art quality in Burning Crusade over everything prior to that. There just seems like there's *a lot* more attention to detail to the zones. If you could count this as a "graphical upgrade", the latest WoW 2.3 patch allowed for better utilization of dual core processors. It increased my framerate a little bit, that's for sure.

And I didn't think his post screamed troll either.

I think a graphical update would be cool, but I would rather see some radical changes to end game and PvP over a graphics overhaul.

WoW puts more value into their art direction than they do their graphics engine, which I think is good, because they build their environments to get the most out of what they have. You can definitely see a big difference in the art quality in Burning Crusade over everything prior to that. There just seems like there's *a lot* more attention to detail to the zones. If you could count this as a "graphical upgrade", the latest WoW 2.3 patch allowed for better utilization of dual core processors. It increased my framerate a little bit, that's for sure.

Burning Crusade still looks alright. I used to think that WoW looked pretty damned good, but after playing better looking games, it is really tough to immerse in.

I'd have to agree with you here. I'm currently working up my 3rd toon to 70 on Staghelm and i'm awed by the immaturity and stupidity of a large portion of the populous. I must have near 100 people on my ignore list so I dont have to listen to the poo spewing from their mouths. Its like the 12 year olds got out of school and decided to spam their nonsensical idiocies on everyone in their surroundings.

Aside from that... I enjoy the game as long as i'm playing with people that take it more seriously and know how to play their characters. My levelling duo partner plays smart and between the two of us have set a good pace.

I'd have to agree with you here. I'm currently working up my 3rd toon to 70 on Staghelm and i'm awed by the immaturity and stupidity of a large portion of the populous. I must have near 100 people on my ignore list so I dont have to listen to the poo spewing from their mouths. Its like the 12 year olds got out of school and decided to spam their nonsensical idiocies on everyone in their surroundings.

Aside from that... I enjoy the game as long as i'm playing with people that take it more seriously and know how to play their characters. My levelling duo partner plays smart and between the two of us have set a good pace.

I see people trying to defend the game they play, but think about it.... I have a lvl 55 and a 40, met a ton of people on my server, out of every 100 people I meet, 90 of them are younger than 16.

That's besides the point, anyone have any info on upcoming graphical updates maybe? :)

Did you ever play the game pre Burning Crusade?

The only way they can change any major amount of graphics will be the next expansion pack like they did with BC.

I prefer DDO over WOW just for the community alone, almost all the gamers (at least 90%) on DDO are adults.

[ T ] A C O;1031689822 said:
Im also trying to figure out how that was a troll post...:rolleyes:

Quite simply it didn't add anything to the discussion. Saying "ZOMG, the only people who play X are kids, and Y looks better" is a troll post. Plain and simple. If you want to play Y, go play it. If you no longer like X, fine, go play Y then.

You could change this to an intel/amd comment or an nvidea/ati comment and it would still be the same thing. If i posted in an intel thread, "It's amazing all these kids making computers with intel processors, i am using AMD and it roxxors!", that would be a troll thread. Same thing.

Quite simply it didn't add anything to the discussion. Saying "ZOMG, the only people who play X are kids, and Y looks better" is a troll post. Plain and simple. If you want to play Y, go play it. If you no longer like X, fine, go play Y then.

You could change this to an intel/amd comment or an nvidea/ati comment and it would still be the same thing. If i posted in an intel thread, "It's amazing all these kids making computers with intel processors, i am using AMD and it roxxors!", that would be a troll thread. Same thing.

I know your a mod and all but comon, your reading way too deep into something that isn't there. There was nothing inflammatory about that statement, he was just telling people what he thinks, and reading other posts it seems others agree.

You know all the people that talk about there being nothing but little kids i would be willing to be the almost all are playing alliance toons. I have been a Gm of an end game guild on shadow moon and we only have 2 people in a guild of 120+ people under the age of 18 and i wouild say most are in the age range of 25-40.

And Blizzard has said they will not be doing a complete overhaul of the graphics engine but will be making slwo strides with each expansion. BC had 30% higher poly count and they are saying that WOTLK will likely have another 30-50% more polligon count. with all things they are trying to avoid the mistakes made by other MMO's

For what WoW is the engine is extremely efficient and the art work is fantastic. We all know WoW is more cpu dependent and can be a ram whore. I much rather see new content, zones, raid dungeons, and instances ect.. then a graphic update:rolleyes:

Although I'm dropping out of WoW in my current guild we have 45 people on alliance of whom only seven are under 25, only three under 18.

The whole "WoW is for kids and they all stink" argument is old and stupid. Even EvE, for all its complexity seemed to have a similar percentage of idiotic young people as WoW.

I just logged into WoW after a 3 month layoff, and got the new 2.3 update, and I could swear the graphics look a little better...

The "WoW is for kids" statements are total crap for one reason. It doesn't matter how old you are, you can still be an immature little prick.

For what WoW is the engine is extremely efficient and the art work is fantastic. We all know WoW is more cpu dependent and can be a ram whore. I much rather see new content, zones, raid dungeons, and instances ect.. then a graphic update:rolleyes:

As would I.

But we were talking about this last night at work and one guy was saying that if there isn't a graphical update and there is another game comparable to WoW with better graphics people will start to move to that. I can see where that would make sense kind of. Oh well.

In no way was I trying to say that WoW was total crap, hell I played it a ton back in the day.
Something has changed for me once I got my new computer. I for one want a mix of great gameplay + awesome graphics, not one or the other. Granted, WoW still looks alright, but nothing to drool over. The fact taht you have to build your life around it is a deal breaker too.

I agree with you but personally the BC art direction just doesn't feel like the WoW universe to me. However, the new expansion is DEFINITELY the WoW universe that I know and love and I look forward to it.

The dual-core patch rocked!

The "WoW is for kids" statements are total crap for one reason. It doesn't matter how old you are, you can still be an immature little prick.

I'm still trying to find where someone stated WoW is for kids. Point me to it, I am blind.

I'm still trying to find where someone stated WoW is for kids. Point me to it, I am blind.

Not to fuel the fire but here you go, well more or less I suppose it says that. But that's all I could find.

I also recently returned to the game and I swear I couldn't for the life of me find a group from 1-40 that wasn't retarded. Thank god the leveling curve has been eased or I would've been immediately put off by these groups.

Oddly enough one of the best players I played with proclaimed he was eight years old. He couldn't spell, and had no idea about what he was doing, but he payed attention instead of ranting on how high his DPS was or the last most totally awesome insane crit he had.

That's an amusing statement. Back in my WoW days, the majority of people I knew were in their early-to-mid twenties.

The original Warcraft was released in 1994. I bet there are a lot of fans of the franchise that started playing back then, which would make most of them at least twenty-something years old.

That's an amusing statement. Back in my WoW days, the majority of people I knew were in their early-to-mid twenties.

The original Warcraft was released in 1994. I bet there are a lot of fans of the franchise that started playing back then, which would make most of them at least twenty-something years old.

I wasn't trying to be stereotypical, was just pointing out the fact that I came across on the server I have played on.

From what I understood, when I read about the next expansion, there will be a graphics overhaul in WoW. At least the wording of some of the things in the FAQ caused me to believe that.

WoW's environmental art direction was its only saving grace. Even so the art assets are heavily cut and paste and the tech behind the game was old at release.

It was never a game that was going to age well and it hasn't. It looks awful now and they seem to have lost the plot with the equipment and player textures. Any area with lots of players looks like multicolour vomit.

For a game that makes so much money, they never struck me as pumping enough of that cash back into the game. Content is slow to come and repetitive. Older, less successful MMORPGs have been much better at churning out innovative content and upgrading their graphics engines. Blizzard spends aeons implementing and polishing the smallest of details, which is laughable since WoW is the most derivative MMORPG to have appeared in the last 10 years. It's finely polished... but at what price?

A realtime HDR lighting system with dynamic shadows would do wonders for WoW graphics, right now there is no lighting of any kind. But sadly like someone already said, it would just cause a massive bitchfest on forums by idiots who are trying to run it with 4xAA at high res on like a 6600gt or some weak shit like that. I had a few of these people in my old raiding guild (which just killed Illidan btw) and helping them get the game running adequately was like banging your head againt the wall.

Blizzard was very smart to keep the engine light, many are running the game on laptops with integrated video and as long as people keep subscribing (over 9 million now) it doesnt really matter. Many wow people dont really play anything else and have no point of comparion so to them the graphics look just fine.

They were smart to keep the engine light because of how laggy places like Ironforge and Shattrath can be when there are hundreds of people standing around.

Back