A Word to the Wise: Regarding [H]ardOCP Phenom II Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMoIsEviL

Gawd
I usually visit this website as a ghost and simply read the posts. But quite frankly I'm quite annoyed at what I'm seeing.

The response to the Phenom II article is just childish. I keep hearing folks accuse Kyle of being some Intel shill. I'm sorry but I remember Kyle being the type of guy (an enthusiast) who just prefers what is faster and offers better performance. When AMD was top notch Kyle clearly wrote articles favoring them because they produced better performing processors.

If you're the type of person who favors price/performance than I don't believe [H]ardOCP writes reviews for you. The numbers [Hard] produced are consistent with other reviews I've read elsewhere. The only variation is the conclusion each website comes too. Clearly some websites are not aimed at the enthusiast crowd and speak volumes about Phenom IIs price/performance. If this is something you feel is the most important factor in your purchasing decisions than you're not an enthusiast. Don't go off on rants accusation Kyle of all sorts of deceiving practices just because you're a fan of AMDs.

I personally am aligned more towards Kyle's logic. I buy whatever performs best. Price is not really a factor for me. If it is for you than take [H]ardOCPs review for what it's worth and seek out others whose logic is more aligned with your own.

But please.. stop the crying. You're all sounding like little 11yr old school girls did when David Archuleta lost on American Idol. (see below video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70f0chZVudA

The only seemingly whiny person on this thread is you. Was it really necessary to create this thread, other than as an attention grab? And, American Idol? WTF You can go back to lurking now.

The only seemingly whiny person on this thread is you. Was it really necessary to create this thread, other than as an attention grab? And, American Idol? WTF You can go back to lurking now.

Yes it was necessary. They act like children and need to be told just as you do children to calm down. Look at it from a different perspective. It's been a non-stop attack on Kyle without even looking at why he drew the conclusions he did.

If you look at the video you'll understand. The people crying out loud are acting just like those little girls. It's sad really.

As for going back to lurking well that's up to me and not you. I'd tell you where you can go but I think that would be against the ToS.

personally i think you are hoping to bait people with this post, along the lines of trolling.

Ok. Fair enough. You won't find me to be one of those glib and unreasonable a$$holes. I take note of your self-restraint, which is mostly lacking on these forums.

Though I'm actually surprised it took this long for his readership to call out Kyle. And not for his overall stance on AMD (or even his glaring deficiencies in technical knowledge) as much as his take on life. Unlike yourself, these complaints [here and elsewhere] have somewhat restored my faith in the enthusiast community.

one - I don't think he who wields the banhammer needs you to run to his defense.

two - what happened to the original thread title ? change of heart or too hypocritical ?

two - what happened to the original thread title ? change of heart or too hypocritical ?

I wouldn't have responded in the same manner (if at all) without the original title intact. For whatever reason it was altered.

Thank you for your reassurance. We all feel better now.

one - I don't think he who wields the banhammer needs you to run to his defense.

No, I figured that perhaps I'd give all the folks accusing Kyle a chance to understand what I understood and have understood [H]ardOCPs point of view as being.

A picture is worth a thousand words, unfortunately i cannot post those just now but i am sure others know the types i am meaning.

Something for those *bleeps* that thinks Kyle is biased towards Intel:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html...qzYra6BMba3pnhDTRPOtA3rJLaKR2q3Tgi3onsNtNOddt

The Bottom Line

AMD’s Athlon 64 X2 is currently leading the pack in the world of dual core computing. If you are a computer user that wants to be able to heavily multitask and are into 3D gaming or content creation, you would be remiss to not purchase the AMD Athlon 64 X2 solution. Combine the overall AMD Athlon 64 X2 mega-multitasking-performance with its subtly increased power needs and its compatibility with current 939-pin Athlon 64 motherboards and AMD has what amounts to a silicon homerun with the bases loaded.

I love when the past contradicts whiners...

Should have been posted at the end of the review thread, with the rest of the troll posts. And if you could also reverse your position, that would be a big help, because you make the rest of us look bad.

I wasn't aware that one's status as an computer enthusiast was solely determined by the size of their wallet. I must have been delirious in my belief it had something to do with their dedication to the minutiae details of tweaking and otherwise getting the best performance possible within the given restraints. Thank you OP, you have opened my eyes. From now on when someone posts a thread asking which AMD processor to upgrade to I'll just tell them to get a better job 'cause apparently that's what [H] stands for in your eyes.

I agree.... we need to always look at price/performance. Of course, Intel wins this hands down as well. AMD is the problem here... it's not looking good. And I'm crying... it's a mournful cry for a company that could have been great, but got cocky instead and now... might lose it all.

I own two powerful (well... they used to be) AMD platforms. One is a dual 246 system and one is dual 275's. Would have loved to have owned an AM2 based system... but can't justify it cost wise. I bought a dual E5440 box, 4G with 10K raptors and dual GPUs for $1800... AMD just can't touch that price. Sorry AMD.

When the C2 architecture FIRST came out, kyle believe AMD was still a good buy because they had the dollars down, and the performance was still pretty comparable in enthusiast conditions (Graphics card limited) but now it's back to Intel totally dominating and not being as expensive, so Kyle jumps ship... Makes sense to me... Whats the issue here?

Phenom II is a loser sorry whiners, my A64/opty setup was great but it's all intel right now.

lol @ video :)

Don't you think that variety = the spice of life!???! Makes things cheaper too, so it will be with the low to mid range Intel and AMD CPU's, good buys for the price.

Hmm you are in the wrong forum. the Intel Forum is 1 click above the AMD forum

Yes it was necessary. They act like children and need to be told just as you do children to calm down. Look at it from a different perspective. It's been a non-stop attack on Kyle without even looking at why he drew the conclusions he did.

If you look at the video you'll understand. The people crying out loud are acting just like those little girls. It's sad really.

As for going back to lurking well that's up to me and not you. I'd tell you where you can go but I think that would be against the ToS.

if kyle doesn't like rocks being thrown at him then he needs to stop passing them out. overall the review was correct, phenom two was slightly disappointing. they are not quite on par with the high end core two offerings but falls in between. less then I hoped but about what I expected. Kyle appears to have

1. not done the most complete review. no the difference in memory probably did not affect much but WHY not make it as even as possible? why would you leave your conclusions open to speculation like that? sorry that was just dumb. any high school science student would have been able to pick up on that. And WHY THE HELL NOT use an intel cpu of the same price range? why would you even invite the argument? I am sorry but with his experience he should know better then that. it might not make a difference but someone was bound to take up arms. and he should have known it.

2. Used plenty of venom. I am disappointed too but I am not throwing a fit witch is largely what I got from all that. He came across to me as disappointed in the cpu and was letting it out, but it came across as vindictive and that is where he has really lost some creditability with some people. He said he was calling it like it was (and probable is) but the way he did it is going to cause a lot of people not to believe it.

If he had left it at being disappointed instead of vindictive I don't think you would be seeing a lot of this back lash against the articale. especially when the majority of other sites saw this in a much more positive view. the phenom II did not do so bad in a lot of area, clock per clock.

What I do not like is your elitist attitude. Price does matter to me and many others here. Glad you have the resources to do as you want. But I find the reviews informative and beneficial even when I disagree with the conclusion, which is seldom.

While there are some childish posts here this is still the best tech community I have found and the only one I am registered with. Kyle does a great job with this tech site, even the complainers would agree I am sure. But saying this is not the site for the price/performance crowd is crap.

Have a great day!

ElMoIsEviL: "If you're the type of person who favors price/performance than I don't believe [H]ardOCP writes reviews for you."

Maybe you should read Brent and Kyle's reviews of the 4850.

eh, was gonna post, but really not worth it to battle words on the internet when obviously this thread is not made to enlighten or help any situation that has arisen.

(by post i mean: respond to the original poster)

When the C2 architecture FIRST came out, kyle believe AMD was still a good buy because they had the dollars down, and the performance was still pretty comparable in enthusiast conditions (Graphics card limited) but now it's back to Intel totally dominating and not being as expensive, so Kyle jumps ship... Makes sense to me... Whats the issue here?

Lol! I don't know either. Happy new year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back