A Windows Gamer tries Manjaro

I don't want to derail this thread at all (so tell me if I am and I will create a new thread and remove this). Steam is installed and Proton enabled. I'm currently downloading KOTOR (KOTOR 2 was already enabled for Linux) and UT 2003 to see how well the Windows to Linux runtime works.

Steam already plays Civ V and Beyond Earth on Linux. I'm taking it on faith that it works so haven't tried it yet.

Battle.net with World of Warcraft and Diablo III were a bit of a pain to install (a great Reddit post exists for what to do to prepare Manjaro for the Blizzard transplant). Both WoW and D3 are buggy enough on Windows so I'm not anticipating a seamless journey here but if either have issues on Linux I still have the ASUS laptop running Windows to fall back to.
did you get KOTOR installed and working? I am fighting through trying to get it to work. I can only play in window mode, or else buttons do not work. Also not sure how to go about applying the Widescreen fix, as everything seems to be Windows-based (as well as all of the user created stuff, which is not in the Steam Workshop, unlike KOTOR2)
I will say games seemed to work more flawlessly in Ubuntu, but I enjoy KDE Manjaro much more as an OS, overall.

ThatITGuy, I've installed but not played either KOTOR or KOTOR 2. I intended on playing KOTOR 2 now that they have the fan patch to restore the massive cuts made before original publication but I keep finding other things to do.

Over the weekend we purchased an LG 43" monitor and as I'm half blind I've been trying to get my desktop to display so I can see elements. As this is the first time in probably a decade that I'm using KDE everything is handled differently than I'm used to (Xfce has been my go-to for the last few years). I've finally set everything up the way I like.

Ubuntu definitely appears to be the favored child when it comes to gaming but Debian has been a lot less of a problem than I thought it would be; it's certainly been working a bit better than Manjaro for me, mostly because Manjaro and Steam didn't seem to get along for me and, other than two Blizzard games and one DOSBox game, every game I play is on Steam. :banghead:

ThatITGuy, I've installed but not played either KOTOR or KOTOR 2. I intended on playing KOTOR 2 now that they have the fan patch to restore the massive cuts made before original publication but I keep finding other things to do.

Over the weekend we purchased an LG 43" monitor and as I'm half blind I've been trying to get my desktop to display so I can see elements. As this is the first time in probably a decade that I'm using KDE everything is handled differently than I'm used to (Xfce has been my go-to for the last few years). I've finally set everything up the way I like.

Ubuntu definitely appears to be the favored child when it comes to gaming but Debian has been a lot less of a problem than I thought it would be; it's certainly been working a bit better than Manjaro for me, mostly because Manjaro and Steam didn't seem to get along for me and, other than two Blizzard games and one DOSBox game, every game I play is on Steam. :banghead:

I run a 27" 4k monitor and under KDE fractional scaling is just as good as it is under Windows 10 using Xorg. I believe if I ran a 43" monitor I would be blind! How far away do you sit from it?

Approximately 4' and I use a wireless keyboard and trackball; I have all UI elements set to 2x, so essentially I've turned a 4K monitor into a 2K monitor but it looks beautiful even though it's not OLED. KDE Plasma looks really sharp on it. :)

Editing to add:

1581009285326.png

Last edited:

What problems did you have with Manjaro and Steam? I know I did have a few issues at first. After install, the games originally acted like they could not find the install folder. I also had to change the Steamplay to use a different version of Proton. Other than that, I have not had any issues.

That pretty much mirrored my experience except that no version of Proton worked for me. I tried everything that I could find in regard to Arch and Steam issues with no success. It's been smooth sailing on Debian as far as Steam is concerned.

Approximately 4' and I use a wireless keyboard and trackball; I have all UI elements set to 2x, so essentially I've turned a 4K monitor into a 2K monitor but it looks beautiful even though it's not OLED. KDE Plasma looks really sharp on it. :)

Wow! That must be one big ass, but no doubt clear, screen! It's still 4k, you're just using 2x scaling, which you'd have to use otherwise everything would be tiny.

Necro post :D

I'm in same boat, per this topic. I'm a Windows gamer, and I'm now running Manjaro KDE for my 3rd day this week...
Only issue is my gaming PC is my daily driver.. and I work from home in a Citrix environment.

Issues that have come up thus far:
- Microphone audio doesn't appear to be working well as it passes through my Citrix ICA connection.. team has been saying they can't hear me well on Zoom calls.. headphone audio appears fine and I can hear everything without issue
- Installed Foxit PDF reader on Tuesday morning , and my PC hard locked when I attempted to open a file... couldn't alt-tab to anything.. no kind of response.. had to hard reboot.. once rebooted.. was able to use Foxit normally (so far)
- Printing.. added our network/WiFi connected printer to CUPS.. seemed to add with no issues.. printing a PDF though printed out just characters.. and gibberish...

Minor issues:
On Windows, I like to have my C: drive for OS, and applications. My D: drive, which is my 1tb nvme drive, I like to redirect my Steam games to install there, and GoG games, etc... Had to hit up some searching on how to prepare my secondary drive to use the same way as I would Windows.

Necro post :D

I'm in same boat, per this topic. I'm a Windows gamer, and I'm now running Manjaro KDE for my 3rd day this week...
Only issue is my gaming PC is my daily driver.. and I work from home in a Citrix environment.

Issues that have come up thus far:
- Microphone audio doesn't appear to be working well as it passes through my Citrix ICA connection.. team has been saying they can't hear me well on Zoom calls.. headphone audio appears fine and I can hear everything without issue
- Installed Foxit PDF reader on Tuesday morning , and my PC hard locked when I attempted to open a file... couldn't alt-tab to anything.. no kind of response.. had to hard reboot.. once rebooted.. was able to use Foxit normally (so far)
- Printing.. added our network/WiFi connected printer to CUPS.. seemed to add with no issues.. printing a PDF though printed out just characters.. and gibberish...

Minor issues:
On Windows, I like to have my C: drive for OS, and applications. My D: drive, which is my 1tb nvme drive, I like to redirect my Steam games to install there, and GoG games, etc... Had to hit up some searching on how to prepare my secondary drive to use the same way as I would Windows.
Check mic/line-in boost in your mixer settings (might have to open up kde settings and adjust from there). If there's no boost setting there, open konsole and run alsamixer, switch to the correct device (F6 iirc), go to the inputs and it should be there.

Edit: alsamixer, not amixer.

Check mic/line-in boost in your mixer settings (might have to open up kde settings and adjust from there). If there's no boost setting there, open konsole and run alsamixer, switch to the correct device (F6 iirc), go to the inputs and it should be there.

Edit: alsamixer, not amixer.

Awesome. Thanks so much. Should have mentioned my headset is a Plantronics usb headset.. Assuming this should still apply in this case.

Yeah, alsa/pulseaudio should create mixer controls for it just like your onboard audio.

Out of curiosity, what's the Linux distro that has the most visual "pizzaz" ? Something that looks like a graphic artist was seriously involved. There are other reasons, but one of the biggest reasons I've stayed away is that all the Linux distros that I've seen are drab. Like someone saw Windows 7 and thought it had too much flair. Are there any that are especially visually compelling?

Out of curiosity, what's the Linux distro that has the most visual "pizzaz" ? Something that looks like a graphic artist was seriously involved. There are other reasons, but one of the biggest reasons I've stayed away is that all the Linux distros that I've seen are drab. Like someone saw Windows 7 and thought it had too much flair. Are there any that are especially visually compelling?
Mandrake 9 with enlightenment desktop environment was pretty good back in the 90s. Today? You'd probably have to go on distrowatch and scroll through a few dozen, but most are like that.

It's like house shopping–everyone makes their house sorta neutral with a few accessories/features to make it stand out, to appeal to a wider audience. If you want it to look good, you're probably going to have to dress it up yourself.

Another good eye-candy distro is Deepin which is I believe based on Debian. I used them for a bit and it was really solid.

Another good eye-candy distro is Deepin which is I believe based on Debian. I used them for a bit and it was really solid.

Looking at some screenshots, that's the type of look I'm going for. It's even a little MocOS'ish, which I like aesthetically. If I ever go Linux, that'll probably be where I start.

Looking at some screenshots, that's the type of look I'm going for. It's even a little MocOS'ish, which I like aesthetically. If I ever go Linux, that'll probably be where I start.
It's pretty but from China...

At least there are some visually appealing options out there. I'm one of those people who saw 90's movies showcasing computer UI/UX visuals that are still beyond what we're using today. I want that, and Apple seems like the only company that gives a damn about aesthetics. Seeing all of those Windows NT 4 UI clone distros just feels like a step backward.

At least there are some visually appealing options out there. I'm one of those people who saw 90's movies showcasing computer UI/UX visuals that are still beyond what we're using today. I want that, and Apple seems like the only company that gives a damn about aesthetics. Seeing all of those Windows NT 4 UI clone distros just feels like a step backward.
You could always run a hackintosh... But to be honest I think the 800 dollar M1 mac mini is actually great bang for buck at the moment. I have the M1 MBP and I love it. Fast, never gets hot even when at full load, 20 hour battery life...

Having said that, it's linux dude! You can shape the UI just the way you like it even if you install a headless server and change your mind afterwards...

I've had the ISO on a thumb drive for a while now but haven't found the time to try it out but there's another Arch based distro called Garuda. They have some different versions which are supposed to be visually distinct out of the box.

I'm just saying that don't be lazy and hunt for different distros. Pick a vanilla Ubuntu or somethiing and install the DE you want. It's always a risk to go distro hopping, they may be small and badly maintained distros that end up giving you only headaches. In my experience it's best to keep things as stable as possible and tweak from there. That's why I use Ubuntu and Debian mainly. Arch is great for people who really want to get into tweaking though.

I happen to like my KDE Neon desktop. Furthermore the OS is rock stable and I have no Steam/Proton issues - All I did was download and install Steam as a .deb from the Valve site, in fact that's all I've ever done.

I run a 4k desktop, so picture size warning:

XDexMNW.png

Team AMD so running Ubuntu works just fine for me. During Win 11. ETA I had a bad crash and then Wi does would not boot; would not detect my boot drive anymore. Attempted repairs and finally it was going to be a reinstall so switched my main rig over. Steam Deck coming out helped push my decision also since that will add even more game compatibility. Lutris does help also.

I have ran various distros since the 90s but before this it was always dual boot or not on my main rig.

Currently been playing a lot of Baldurs Gate 3 (early access)

If you like the macOS look and feel you might like elementary OS; I haven’t personally used it.

Back