A Windows Gamer tries Manjaro

ThatITGuy

Limp Gawd
I don't want to derail this thread at all (so tell me if I am and I will create a new thread and remove this). Steam is installed and Proton enabled. I'm currently downloading KOTOR (KOTOR 2 was already enabled for Linux) and UT 2003 to see how well the Windows to Linux runtime works.

Steam already plays Civ V and Beyond Earth on Linux. I'm taking it on faith that it works so haven't tried it yet.

Battle.net with World of Warcraft and Diablo III were a bit of a pain to install (a great Reddit post exists for what to do to prepare Manjaro for the Blizzard transplant). Both WoW and D3 are buggy enough on Windows so I'm not anticipating a seamless journey here but if either have issues on Linux I still have the ASUS laptop running Windows to fall back to.
did you get KOTOR installed and working? I am fighting through trying to get it to work. I can only play in window mode, or else buttons do not work. Also not sure how to go about applying the Widescreen fix, as everything seems to be Windows-based (as well as all of the user created stuff, which is not in the Steam Workshop, unlike KOTOR2)
I will say games seemed to work more flawlessly in Ubuntu, but I enjoy KDE Manjaro much more as an OS, overall.

Algrim

[H]ard|Gawd
ThatITGuy, I've installed but not played either KOTOR or KOTOR 2. I intended on playing KOTOR 2 now that they have the fan patch to restore the massive cuts made before original publication but I keep finding other things to do.

Over the weekend we purchased an LG 43" monitor and as I'm half blind I've been trying to get my desktop to display so I can see elements. As this is the first time in probably a decade that I'm using KDE everything is handled differently than I'm used to (Xfce has been my go-to for the last few years). I've finally set everything up the way I like.

Ubuntu definitely appears to be the favored child when it comes to gaming but Debian has been a lot less of a problem than I thought it would be; it's certainly been working a bit better than Manjaro for me, mostly because Manjaro and Steam didn't seem to get along for me and, other than two Blizzard games and one DOSBox game, every game I play is on Steam. :banghead:

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
ThatITGuy, I've installed but not played either KOTOR or KOTOR 2. I intended on playing KOTOR 2 now that they have the fan patch to restore the massive cuts made before original publication but I keep finding other things to do.

Over the weekend we purchased an LG 43" monitor and as I'm half blind I've been trying to get my desktop to display so I can see elements. As this is the first time in probably a decade that I'm using KDE everything is handled differently than I'm used to (Xfce has been my go-to for the last few years). I've finally set everything up the way I like.

Ubuntu definitely appears to be the favored child when it comes to gaming but Debian has been a lot less of a problem than I thought it would be; it's certainly been working a bit better than Manjaro for me, mostly because Manjaro and Steam didn't seem to get along for me and, other than two Blizzard games and one DOSBox game, every game I play is on Steam. :banghead:

I run a 27" 4k monitor and under KDE fractional scaling is just as good as it is under Windows 10 using Xorg. I believe if I ran a 43" monitor I would be blind! How far away do you sit from it?

Algrim

[H]ard|Gawd
Approximately 4' and I use a wireless keyboard and trackball; I have all UI elements set to 2x, so essentially I've turned a 4K monitor into a 2K monitor but it looks beautiful even though it's not OLED. KDE Plasma looks really sharp on it. :)

Editing to add:

1581009285326.png

Last edited:

ThatITGuy

Limp Gawd

What problems did you have with Manjaro and Steam? I know I did have a few issues at first. After install, the games originally acted like they could not find the install folder. I also had to change the Steamplay to use a different version of Proton. Other than that, I have not had any issues.

Algrim

[H]ard|Gawd
That pretty much mirrored my experience except that no version of Proton worked for me. I tried everything that I could find in regard to Arch and Steam issues with no success. It's been smooth sailing on Debian as far as Steam is concerned.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
Approximately 4' and I use a wireless keyboard and trackball; I have all UI elements set to 2x, so essentially I've turned a 4K monitor into a 2K monitor but it looks beautiful even though it's not OLED. KDE Plasma looks really sharp on it. :)

Wow! That must be one big ass, but no doubt clear, screen! It's still 4k, you're just using 2x scaling, which you'd have to use otherwise everything would be tiny.