A website that scans my pc for driver updates?

HardLiner

Gawd
Is there a website that scans my computer to make sure all my drivers are installed and up to date?

Device Manager can tell you if all your drivers are installed.

Driver versions are more "if it ain't broke don't fix it" types. Updating a perfectly working driver isn't always the best thing.

Besides, in this paranoid computing world we live in, I don't think any site that could probe your system like that would be very popular.

I just formated my friends computer and re-installed XP,I installed his motherboard drivers and everything but he has a 56k modem (Lucent Win modem) PM560LH is the number I found on it and I got the driver but when I went to install it..it said:

CANNOT CONTINUE THE HARDWARE UPDATE WIZARD

The Wizard cannot find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

To keep the current software,click finish.

To search again in another location click back.

Do I have the wrong driver? Unless windows installed the driver for me then it isn't installed.

I need to know it is installed because my friend live 40 minutes away and I don't want him to get all the way up there and find out it isn't installed.

Windows Might already have the basic driver in it's files, plug into a phone jack and use his info to connect to his ISP, if it works then he should be good to go, if not then recheck everything and go from there.

Remember try the easy stuff first, it quite often is what is wrong. :D

Lot of stuff that plugs into PCI slots doesn't need driver installation past what winXP does on its own. This is where the device manager becomes your friend again

in the device manager, does it show as being not installed? Cuz if it says it is working properly then you are good...if not, make sure you have the right driver for the card (different hardware version may require specific driver versions)

in the device manager, does it show as being not installed? Cuz if it says it is working properly then you are good...if not, make sure you have the right driver for the card (different hardware version may require specific driver versions)

Yes it says it is working properly.

when I click on the driver tab and click driver details it says in the list:

DRIVER FILE DETAILS

C:\\windows\system 32\DRIVERS\Itmdmnt.sys
C:\\windows\system32\drivers\Modem.sys

Provider: LT
File version: 8.28
Copyright: Copyright LT 1997
Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

When I first installed the 56k modem it came up as new hardware in the corner but the little icon went away so I "think" windows already had a driver for it.

What do you guys think?

It's my friends computer...I have cable.I just merely formated his computer and installed xp and hopefully his 56k modem driver.

is it possible to dial out from my house without a dial-up account?

well... you plug a phone line in, type in your friends telephone number and hit "dial"... and see it it... dials. That's generally known as "a good sign";)

It's been a million years since I had a dial up modem, but in the modem properties you can have it do a test to dial out. Or like markintosh said: just type in a number and see if it dials.

Also Windows Update will tell you if it finds any newer drivers for your hardware. But if windows detected the "new" hardware then it should be just fine.

I mean, ideally, it would be nice to dial to an ISP to see if you get a decent connection... so maybe your friend can provide his ISP information so you can complete the install.

Right now I'm using Broadband on "his" computer through the Ethernet port,how would I go about setting up a dial up connection.....I've never used a 56k modem before...do I have to shut down the broadband connection I'm using now first? or can I have both of them active?

Back