A way to boost system audio? New speakers too low sometimesa

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
I just picked up some new speakers, and well, my last set of speakers I never had to go above 75% volume, but my new speakers I find I need to turn it all the way up for some low audio files and still not loud enough. The previous speakers had enough left over in the volume to make any file loud.

Though, once I hope in a game with these new speakers, the audio doesn't need to be more than 1/3. So I know the speakers sound good, but it's volume doesn't have enough headroom for those low sound files like my last set.

So, is there a software way to boost the overall audio, like making the system sound 200% when needed? Or maybe an app that can run in the background to auto adjust sound, like how some tvs auto adjust when some commercials are louder than normal.

Or, is there a way to buy some extra hardware that can amplify the sound before it reaches the speakers?

My previous set was some Creative Inspire 5.1 speakers that were nearly two years old and began to have a problem with the volume control where the sound becomes louder by itself then back when the volume was set low.

The new speakers I got are Altec Lansing 5.1 Speaker System (VS3151)

Oh, and I have an Audigy.

Here is what I'm suggesting:

Unless you have an external amp, it wouldn't be a very good idea to try and amplify the sound using anything software based. The Audigy/2/2 ZS has a low clipping ceiling, like around 60%. Anything above that, and you start losing definition; believe me, I've tried it, and I'm never raising my Windows main volume above 60% ever again. Putting that kind of signal through any software amp will just make things worse.

Bottom line: keep your windows main volume set to around 60% and control the volume with your speakers volume control. If it's still too quiet, you might want to look into getting an external amp.

There is no real software way to make the signal coming out of the soundcard jack louder. The signal is communicated through modulating voltage. The limits on the fidelity of that signal of modulated voltages are hardware-based. If you try to crank the volume to %200, then you'll get really nasty clipping.

I think I still have time to return these speakers. I don't care if I even have to pay a restock fee at circuit city.

Any good recommendations for speakers around $100. I'm thinking of the Creative Inspire series again.

Those look nice, but a little out of my price range, plus I already have a nice audio system in my living room. If I didn't have any sounds system already, I'd probably get those. Also, how would one connect those to PC, I assume they connect using normal speaker wire to an audio reciever?

It's going to be a pain to pack up my new speakers again for return, but I can't stand how I feel they don't live up or surpass my last set.

So far I found a good price for the Creative Inspire T5400 5.1 for $54.95 at Amazon

Or some Klipsch Factory Refurbished ProMedia GMX D-5.1 for $99
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=803

I'm leaning to Creative Inspire speakers, though, the only local store that still carries them is Best Buy, but for $90. It's like it's being discontinued, maybe for a new model, or is Creative just going to focus on 7.1 sets from here on?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
GodsMadClown said:
There is no real software way to make the signal coming out of the soundcard jack louder. The signal is communicated through modulating voltage. The limits on the fidelity of that signal of modulated voltages are hardware-based. If you try to crank the volume to %200, then you'll get really nasty clipping.

The reason I though it might be possible is from what I've done when encoding movie files. Like TV shows I record with my tv tuner. The audio is way too low, so when I convert them in VirtualDub, I set the audio volume to increase by 300% and it works great. Before that the volume was way too low, but after I could blast it.

BUMP i have the same problem but i have laptop speakers. any suggestions..

Back