A warning about MSI and its graphics cards

After 10 months same thing happend to me. MSI GTX 780 Gaming Twin Frozr

Last edited:
My buddies MSI 780 Twin Frozr just took a similar dump....

Went over to check it out myself, and when I plugged in and powered on his system ~ POP and a wisp of smoke. Forget his exact setup but 1050hx corsair, think its a 4670k on an asus rog mobo.... he is not an overclocker in anyway.... machine been working fine since assembled little over a year ago. Pulled the cooked 780 out and machine booted right up with no issues.

Got the card in my possession now, will crack it open and see wtf happened....

Guess it's a good thing that my pc is completely powered off when I'm not using it.

The fact that they're replacing the cards with burns on them without question tells me they now they're faulty. Usually if you ever try rmaing any hardware with burns on it they throw you out immediately.

Been rocking my MSI 680 GTX Lightning since it was released, did have to RMA it once but it was because of the voltage issue that some 680s were having at the time and causing driver crashes, have not had a problem otherwise.

Going to be getting the 980 Ti Lightning when it comes out later this year.

You really should buy an outlet tester and check the outlet that your PC is on. Do you run your PC through a UPS or at least a surge protector?

You really should buy an outlet tester and check the outlet that your PC is on. Do you run your PC through a UPS or at least a surge protector?

While I would agree that testing should always be done in a situation like this, and the two card scenario does tend to point in other directions, it's not out of the question that it was the cards either. It sounds like he's swapped a bit of hardware at least.

To those saying it couldn't possibly be the video cards: He's not presenting it as "Fuck MSI", just a "Hey, this happened to me, keep your eyes open." I've had my share of faulty MSI hardware, but it was just motherboards, not video cards. I've had my share of their hardware, and they did seem to cut some corners. This was several years ago now though, and to be fair, it looks like they've been stepping up their game a little these days.

Anyway, the issue could lie in several different places, but it's still good for people to report issues like this. At least other users can keep an eye on things. Maybe in the end it's proven to be something else, but it's still helpful.

While I would agree that testing should always be done in a situation like this, and the two card scenario does tend to point in other directions, it's not out of the question that it was the cards either. It sounds like he's swapped a bit of hardware at least.

To those saying it couldn't possibly be the video cards: He's not presenting it as "Fuck MSI", just a "Hey, this happened to me, keep your eyes open." I've had my share of faulty MSI hardware, but it was just motherboards, not video cards. I've had my share of their hardware, and they did seem to cut some corners. This was several years ago now though, and to be fair, it looks like they've been stepping up their game a little these days.

Anyway, the issue could lie in several different places, but it's still good for people to report issues like this. At least other users can keep an eye on things. Maybe in the end it's proven to be something else, but it's still helpful.
I'm not saying it's not his hardware. It could be. It's just statistically unlikely, and I would try and rule out power delivery as a culprit too. Better safe than sorry in the end.

This event could be anecdotal. From the thousands of MSI customers, a certain number will have issues. Without data it is impossible to compare the statistical issue distribution of MSI with the industry. The OP could possibly just be a victim of bad luck.

That being said, I would investigate the stability of the power to rule out potential external factors.

If you know anything about MSI motherboard like 10 years ago =)

I dont think that all MSI products are crap but I did have a MSI 6600GT start on fire and shoot flames out of it about 5-7 years ago. Not sure what happened but I was running sli so I just threw out the bad card and used the good card and never had an issue with it.

My brother and I used to build machines for family and friends several years ago. MSI components are the only ones that had problems down the road (mostly motherboard melt). I avoid them if at all possible from that experience.

I'm not saying it's not his hardware. It could be. It's just statistically unlikely, and I would try and rule out power delivery as a culprit too. Better safe than sorry in the end.

I don't disagree at all there.

My brother and I used to build machines for family and friends several years ago. MSI components are the only ones that had problems down the road (mostly motherboard melt). I avoid them if at all possible from that experience.

I have had quite the opposite experience. I've built tons of computers for myself, family, friends and customers and I have used MSI for motherboards and graphics cards more than any other brand and the reliability has been outstanding.

Removed the heatsink and took some pics... gotta find a free pic host that won't annoy the crap outta everyone now....suggestions welcome.

Did get a kick out of the sticker that was located over one of the heatsink screws stating "warrenty VOID if removed" ....

I will reserve my personal judgement until I go poking around his computer more this weekend.

Backside has very little evidence of the balls to the wall party the electrons on the frontside were having. Just by looking at the soldier around some of the componets you can tell the card had been VERY hot in some areas.

The word china is more prevelant than i'd like to see as well... but thats just me being a stupid american.

I think this thread makes it evident that MSI 780TF cards have an inherent issue that results in A. high temps of certain components, and B. that issue can lead to sparks and fire. I think it is undeniable.

Back