a very interesting find guyz I think u should read

Wow, I guess it was a good call.

I had my doubts, but that statement by OCZ clinches it.... Some batches were made with as little as <1 percent silver, some with <30 percent silver.

I would wager to say that the first batches met specifications, but later batches were fudged with less silver content. I get the feeling the ones I have are from the early batches (just due to the "silver" feel of the heat performance.)

yay, see. ocz isn't so bad!!! i guess my testing way woulda been really bad if it was only 1% silver!! haha, oops...hey, im 14 lemme be!!! prop's to ocz for a quick and good resoltion!

How does artic silver help isnt that the stuff you put on the bottom of your heatsink? Im new i need info everyone once used to be new like me

Originally posted by r4tio
How does artic silver help isnt that the stuff you put on the bottom of your heatsink? Im new i need info everyone once used to be new like me

OCZ Ultra 2 is just like Arctic silver. It is used for the same thing that Arctic Silver is used for.

how much compound are you suppose to put on the bottom are you suppose to make it think and cover the whole bottom?

Originally posted by r4tio
how much compound are you suppose to put on the bottom are you suppose to make it think and cover the whole bottom?

For that one, I suggest you goto arctic silver's website for application instructions.

That was cleared up way too fast. I'm glad to see that someone is watching the ball on these sorts of things :)

Definite thanks to the author at overclockers and Silversink here who brought it to light so that it could be resolved quickly. This is by far the fastest I have ever seen something resolved (Now if only Dell and Sandisk would admit there is a 1+ year old problem with the Axim and SD cards, I'd be happy)

So, I've emailed OCZ already, and I'm guessing I just return the three full tubes I have (threw away the other three empty tubes on a batch of six just last week) for a swapout of whatever they are using now, which is a tube made by Arctic Silver? OK, I got no problems with that...

Nevin is the guys name over at AS right (anyone know for sure)?

Anyone here use Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-749 TIM? It has been rated the best in a few reviews, and it is my paste of choice. It's really thick, and silver. Whenever I mention it, it seems nobody has ever heard of it. It is [H]ard to find, but is currently available at crazypc.com...

Props to OCZ for jumping on this one right away. Glad to see some companies still care about their customers :)

Pretty surprised OCZ even responded but they gained a little more respect from me.

Given OCZ's track record.... shitty, really shitty, and fucking rediculas....I am not sure kudos are in order. While there might be a chance they were actually duped (and I don't fully believe that yet). They could have very easilly known about it. Just like thier shitty ram practices of the past, they are fucking thier customers with inferior products that are not what they are claimed to be.

Before you give them kudos, why not give kudos to the many companies that have never fucked or ripped off thier customers in the first place?

Originally posted by DocFaustus
Before you give them kudos, why not give kudos to the many companies that have never fucked or ripped off thier customers in the first place?

By that metric, I can now list the companies that exist on this earth that deserve kudos:

Well, that was certainly a short list. Feel free to continue disliking them or concocting conspiracy theories (it is your right, and there is enough to be suspicious), but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I know my company has been in a situation or two where a high quality service or product we recommended to our customers became inferior later on. Not intentionally done, but it's hard to police some of these things. Sure, you can micromanage everything and police everything to an extent where you do nothing else, but if you want to get anything done you're going to have to give some trust somewhere at sometime.

I'd hate to be the man that trusts no one. What a shitty existence

Heh, Fair enough.

But, I should clarify. I am specifically talking about OCZ in that post (and all in this thread for that matter). I am not trying to say that all other companies are ran flawless, or even anything close to that for that matter. I am really just saying OCZ has been sooo shitty in the past that they deserve to be watched with more scrutiny. Also, what makes OCZ different is that they have been doing the same things with malicious intent for a long time now(see buying reviews and intentionally selling bogus ram and banking on the people that don't return it), that is a far cry worse than the occasional quality control issues.

It all comes down to the old addage: Burn me once, shame on you; Burn me twice, shame on me.

Hey Silversink,

If your testing process isn't too time consuming and expensive(at the lab not the litmus), you might want to test this stuff:
link here

Given CompUSA's response, I would like to see Best Buy's as I'm sure anything made by Dynex isn't of Tier 1 quality. Although I would give them benfit of doubt until I saw test results.

Originally posted by saturnine2
Anyone here use Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-749 TIM? It has been rated the best in a few reviews, and it is my paste of choice. It's really thick, and silver. Whenever I mention it, it seems nobody has ever heard of it. It is [H]ard to find, but is currently available at crazypc.com...

I have heard of G-751, what is the difference?

Oh, and it looks like the BestBuy stuff is the same stuff. If it is very thick and looks like it has flakes of aluminum in it when it has been on there for a while, chances are that is the stuff that is the problem.

thank you very much for part 2 of the article silversink I just finished it and I can tell you I am shocked.... But all in all I am glad that OCZ has decided to straighten this mess out :D B@D COMPUSA BAD

P.S. MY THREAD WAS HIGHJACKED GET BACK ON TOPIC :D Thank You

Very good article indeed. I'm wondering if anyone here has fried a CPU/Vid card using this stuff.

Originally posted by cgrant26
Very good article indeed. I'm wondering if anyone here has fried a CPU/Vid card using this stuff.

No, why would it fry anything?

I think what he is implying is that since it's bogus paste, it might have caused things it was used on to overheat to the point of self destruction.

just cuz it doesnt have silver deosnt mean it's bad...this ocz stuff actually did VERY good in reviews!

I stopped buying stuff from OCZ a long time ago.
shady operations, and poor products. I'm surprised they're still around.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/news/3

Check that out. Put the blame on someone else.
As was pointed out at OC.com, they had they're testing done (sent out to third party, tested, and returned) in less than 24 hours... They must not be using FedEx.

If everyone stopped buying stuff with the OCZ label, many more people would be happier.

Originally posted by md262626
I think what he is implying is that since it's bogus paste, it might have caused things it was used on to overheat to the point of self destruction.

Actually, I was mostly implying about anyone frying their CPU/GPU simply while using the bogus paste. (and not necessarily because of the paste) I only say that because I'm wondering how many people will attempt to make CompfUSSR or OCZ pay for their FUBAR'd stuff by citing this article.

The paste while being misrepresented in itself won't cause harm to a processor or video cards, after all it's simply a run of the mill generic Aluminum oxide in a silicone base. I do question the reviewers that gave it high marks though. It's possible what they tested was not what was in the majority of tubes being sold.

But the truth is out there now and it's up to the end user to decide for themselves what is best for them to use at this point in time.

Hey, I'm Silversinksam and its my civic duty to look out for my friends in the Overclocking community ;)

Regards

Sam

Well, OCZ used to buy reviews for their ram. It could very well be that they did the same for thier thermal compound. Given thier track record, I wouldn't trust anything they said. Expecially with their 24 hour turn around time on testing the stuff in an independant lab.....that is pretty fucking fast.

Just a FYI,

Larry Mondry, Chief Executive Officer of COMPUSA was sent a Notarized copy of my findings and it was sent to HIM directly via Certified Express mail this Afternoon.

Things will get interesting soon.

HAHAHAHA

HAAAAAAHAHAHA

That's amazing. You truely are the man, mr silversink.

Originally posted by Silversink
Just a FYI,

Larry Mondry, Chief Executive Officer of COMPUSA was sent a Notarized copy of my findings and it was sent to HIM directly via Certified Express mail this Afternoon.

Things will get interesting soon.

Predicted response:

Mr. SSS,

Clearly this is the fault of our supplier(s)... it's not our fault (never). We thank you for your time. I've included a free coupon for one syringe of our Silver Thermal Compound.

Originally posted by ATLPIMP
Predicted response:

Mr. SSS,

Clearly this is the fault of our supplier(s)... it's not our fault (never). We thank you for your time. I've included a free coupon for one syringe of our Silver Thermal Compound.

Just remember, if CompUSA is paying lots of money for a thermal paste, and the company that makes it is subbing in cheaper paste, then really, we aren't the only ones getting ripped off... :p

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
Just remember, if CompUSA is paying lots of money for a thermal paste, and the company that makes it is subbing in cheaper paste, then really, we aren't the only ones getting ripped off... :p

I suspect that is not the case, I believe Compusa has known about this for a long time, they prefer to buy this inferior cr@p from China and sell it at a Premium (I suspect it costs them under a buck), and they sell it at $9.99. So who is it again that is getting ripped off ;)

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ

A welcomed change. No longer am I the only one looking like a Moron.

Back