A very insightful article on Nano IPS

Anemone

Gawd
This engineer is making some guesses but they are pretty reasonably based and may help people better understand what is being delivered with "nano IPS".

I will also note that most wide gamut displays have a far better green and red wavelength response than ordinary White LED or White CCFL backlights. You will notice a better variety of red shades as well as much more proper greens (with varieties) and aqua colors which an ordinary backlight simply cannot provide. Once your eyes notice it, you may find it difficult to go back to simple white backlights and srgb screens.

That said here is the link: http://palomakiconsulting.com/what-is-lgs-nano-cell-technology/

So it's a cheaper, slightly worse equivalent of the quantum dot enhancement film that's been in TVs for years now.

So it's a pc monitor
Which have also been around for a little while. Samsung has a few VA displays with QDEF backlights, plus there's the Acer X27 and ASUS
PG27UQ on the IPS side. "Nano IPS" offers nothing new, except maybe lower cost for IPS+QDEF(-like). I guess it's nice these incremental improvements are spreading to more of the market, anyway.

This is mostly LG finally catching up on their non-OLED stuff.

First had qdot on my samsung js9500 and 9000 and they get some use as a monitor, wide gamut is so nice with more realistic real world colors. Some things can be over-saturated if you don't adjust at all but it is not the monitors fault, just content being stuck in sRGB/NTSC-land forever. The CHG monitor series has this too, at least the 32" curved freesync does.

It's not Quantum dot (or at least that's the supposition). If it were they'd call it that. Qdot films require a thicker bezel due to the way the sandwiching works. Just something more to ponder.

In the past we had SIPS, AH-IPS, Premium IPS and other marketing prefixes that denoted that the panel in question had the latest iteration of premium IPS technology, to distinguish it from "budget" IPS. That's all Nano Cell IPS is - just the latest best IPS panel that LG makes, not really a significantly distinguishing technology from other clever polarizers and filters we've seen in the past, IMHO.

Back