A very basic (or is that complex) problem...

GeForceX

Supreme [H]ardness
I have maybe 5% networking experience, so excuse this post. Even looking at HowStuffWorks' site for networking steps and even looking at the "all-out solution to networking problems" sticky thread (which is by the way, exhausting *good job*), I still can't really get this problem I have. My cable company only allows two computer connections, however I have three computers. I want to use all three and have them all shared on the internet. Here's a basic ASCII layout (crappy but it's common sense):

Cable Modem.
.....||
D-Link 5-Port Switch Hub.
.....||....................||
Computer A.......Computer B.
............................||
.........................Computer C.

As you can see, I have no router. My goal is to set up Computer B to function as a router. Computer B and C has two ethernet ports (that makes four). They can be used reversibly such as Computer B --> Computer C --> D-Link Switch Hub but I chose it as C -> B. Well, I have Windows XP Professional on both and I have set up the wizard on Computer B to directly connect to the internet and let other computers connect to my computer. But then, a MAC was set up to bridge both ethernet cards together so it can communicate (well that's what it says on the networking wizard, heh). I believe I am doing something really wrong. Someone told me I had to configure an IP number that Computer B and C will connect on. I decided to put in a bunch of numbers for both (180.180.180.180 <-- lol). Question: does setting up the correct IP number really matter? Problem is that on both computers, the taskbar icon says "Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged". I use a Cat 6 wire connecting both computers, it's all in. I can't get it to work. That's where I'm stuck. Am I supposed to set Computer B's TCP/IP properties as having the "Use the following IP address" and set Computer C as having "Obtain an IP address automatically"? They both have default settings (like TCP/IP). I mean... what the ****? Ok. Yeah. Thanks for the help if anyone can provide a solution or any step-by-step checks.

TY again.

-Jeff.

Couldn't quite follow all that ( damn ADD ), but here's the short of what you want:

Cable modem -> Router ( PC 1 with routing software ) -> switch -> Network ( rest of computers )

This way, you are only using a single public IP, and the rest of the network is hidden from the outside world ( and, to a certain extent, the cable company too ).

Please keep in mind, I do not have a router and I prefer not to use a router. I want to use Computer B as a router. Now, is that possible (instincts tells me yes but I'm obviously too #$%@ to figure it out)? :)

-Jeff.

Originally posted by GeForceX
Please keep in mind, I do not have a router and I prefer not to use a router. I want to use Computer B as a router. Now, is that possible (instincts tells me yes but I'm obviously too #$%@ to figure it out)? :)

-Jeff.
The terminology is what is throwing you. Any device used in this capacity is called router.

I'd say you need some version of Windows Server so you can turn Computer B into a router with "Routing and Remote Access".

OR

If you are just trying to access the net from computer C using computer B just setup ICS.

OR

Cable modem > Computer B
(Setup ICS on Computer B) 2nd NIC on computer B > Switch/HUB > Computer A and C.

I think thats what you are trying to do...I don't think you really wanna setup a router.

Originally posted by DigitalPimp
I'd say you need some version of Windows Server so you can turn Computer B into a router with "Routing and Remote Access".

OR

If you are just trying to access the net from computer C using computer B just setup ICS.

OR

Cable modem > Computer B
(Setup ICS on Computer B) 2nd NIC on computer B > Switch/HUB > Computer A and C.

I think thats what you are trying to do...I don't think you really wanna setup a router.
Either way ( Routing and Remote access or ICS ), he's setting up a router.

Just a point of clarification ( whoa, is that how it's spelled? )

Cable modem > Computer B

This is the way I would do it...

Originally posted by XOR != OR
Either way ( Routing and Remote access or ICS ), he's setting up a router.

Just a point of clarification ( whoa, is that how it's spelled? )

Thanks for clearing that up ;)

Back