A trap for the entertainment industry

NeghVar

2[H]4U
I'm not going to do this because of the fact I am already guilty, but I have been curious what could happen if someone setup a p2p trap for the RIAA, MPAA or their cronies.

here's the trap. create a bunch of files filled with massive amounts of random text to make it appear as a audio or video file then change the filename and extension. for instance, bait.txt is 673MB. Rename it to Hancock.avi and seed it. Doing this with multiple video, audio, iso, etc. files.

Get your call or letter from one of the companies or their cronies claiming copyright infringment. You have proof that they do not examine the files but simple send in the subpoena. Try a counter suit for the baseless claim.

This is completely out of curiosity.

This is all assuming they (RIAA, MPAA) don't examine the files for content. I've always assumed that they do more than just look at file names as the basis for preparing letters or lawsuits.

I don't see what's illegal, unless the false advertising in this case would hold up in court, which would be laughable.

I've seen articles about how the RIAA or MPAA's henchmen do this all the time. Also, think about "To Catch a Predator" the its actually other people posing as underage girls. The solicitation occures, meet at the house, get the interview and get arrested. Yet no actual underage girl was involved. They're still around

On technical grounds, you have a point. On legal grounds, there is always the concept of intent. What was your intent in creating these files? To maliciously defraud and attack the resources of a corporation? They'd nail you on something.

I was thinking it would be entrapment, but that only applies to law enforcement.

an attempt to prove that an investigation is not conducted. An extremely simple investigation. Perhaps to save time from downloading to verifiy that is is genuine and just get the subpoena out ASAP. I guess what I am trying to force them to do is follow due process. If they check and verify that my files are just junk. then there's nothing to worry about

While you aren't doing anything wrong, that's still a world class headache I wouldn't even attempt without some serious backers. I'm sure there is some organization out there that wants to stick it to them and wouldn't mind footing the legal bills. Because there will be legal bills if you get an official letter.

I was thinking it would be entrapment, but that only applies to law enforcement.

Thats why there are private investigators. They don't fall under the same rules as law enforcement authorities

And if I download the said text file, I'd be pretty pissed as well. :D

But, if done correctly, it would be a great idea. It'd really get some media attention and put another nail in the head of the MPAA and RIAA. Bastards.

I doubt the media would cover it since they are part of companies associated with the RIAA and MPAA. It would be through places like EFF.org, tech news site and digital rights advocate groups. It would hit congress and the judges, but not TV or radio. It would not be in their best interest for news stations to cover it.

You'd have to up front the legal bills, anyway. You'd get them back if your lawyer isn't a dumbass, when you countersue for legal costs.

Not worth it though.

what everyone else said about nasty lawyers...

Of course you run a huge chance of not even getting noticed given their is so much shite out on al gore's creation. :D

Back