A to be Kaby lake build

Discussion in 'PC Hound System Builder' started by Karlovsky120, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Karlovsky120

Karlovsky120 n00bie

Okay, I made a list of components I'd like to create a computer out of. I already do have a case (Coolermaster Stacker, not sure which one exactly) and storage(Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Intel 120GB SSD and 2x 500GB HDD).

Here's the rest:

CPU: Intel i5 7600K - price should be more or less the same as 6600K, about $280
    Cooler: Noctua NH D15 - about $110
    MBO: Some overclocker friendly Z270 MBO - about $160
    GPU: MSI GTX1070 Gaming X - about $570
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4@3466MHz - about $150 (which is a great price for such fast RAM)
    PSU: Corsair RM650X 650W - about $120 (note that 550W unit is $105 - it seems stupid to take that one)

Those are Croatian prices recalculated into dollars.

P.S. What thermal paste do you recommend? As long as it's not that liquid metal thing, or the one that needs burning in, I'll take the best one. At least the best one I can get my hand on here.

Also, I have Antec Truepower (or was it Tripower?) 550W PSU, but since it's an average 8-year old unit, I think replacement is in order, especially for overclocking purposes.

I do intend to overclock - not crazy over the top overclock - but something that will give me a boost without shortening the lifespan of the components significantly. I do not intend to do SLI on this machine, so 650W should do just fine.

Are my investment ratios sane? Am I sinking too much money into something and not enough into something else? I'm aiming for a lower high-end computer (i5 with 1070).

Any suggestions, improvements?

2. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

the paste that comes with the noctua is really good imo

i have a personal bias towards seasonic powersupplies but i doubt you can go wrong with the corsair

the 1070 is a powerful enough card but 570 usd is steep -- are they hard to find for reasonable prices in the EU?

3. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

I think you would be a fool to build a higher end gaming pc with an i5 at this point. We already have several games now that will peg an i5 and some games will not only lose performance but will hitch and stutter at times. You will likely keep your cpu for at least 3 to 4 years so it is pretty silly to start of gimped from day one.

Karlovsky120 likes this.
  4. Karlovsky120

Karlovsky120 n00bie

Maybe a bit, but when you calculate shipping and import taxes in, it comes to about the same number. It is very sad, I know. 1080 is usually over $800.

gigatexal likes this.
  5. gigatexal

really? 4 solid cores OC'd will be fine i think

wonder what intel will do to i7 prices if Zen is competitive

6. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

No it wont, not even close for some games. I will just copy and paste this from another thread where someone claimed an i5 is not a limitation for any card.

In Mafia 3 I get 25% better average and 43% better minimums with HT on than with it off. This was tested with FRAPS just driving a loop with zero action going on so as to be repeatable. And even though the fps numbers look ok with HT off the actual game plays like jittery ♥♥♥♥ as the cpu is pegged basically the whole time. it is perfectly smooth with HT on though.

4770k @ 4.3 with HT on

Min, Max, Avg
    70, 94, 81.966

4770k @ 4.3 with HT off

Min, Max, Avg
    49, 83, 66.119

And how about Watch Dogs 2? The 6600k is getting 59 fps average and 47 minimum yet the 6700k is destroying the 6600k getting 90 fps average and 74 minimum.

[​IMG]upload an image

7. gigatexal

Hmm. Then it's settled if those numbers are legit and games are going that direction which they probably are.

8. lukart

lukart [H]Lite

Even 4 cores probably yield higher overclocks.
    Zen is not coming until probably late Feb, which means its a lot of waiting...
    I have my eyes on the new Z270 Fatal1ty, looks pretty good and they are pretty good oc friendly motherboards as well.