A Team of 50 Engineers Spent 6 Months Making a Fidget Spinner

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by rgMekanic, Mar 12, 2018.

1. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

Mitsubishi Precision Co Ltd. designed and built a fidget spinner based on MinebeaMitsumi Inc.'s ball bearings to break the Guinness world record for "Longest duration spinning a fidget spinner on one finger." The team of 50 people spent 6 months creating and perfecting the design, with a heavy brass outer ring, and a lightweight aluminum center section, which spun for 24 min 46.34 sec.

You thought it was over didn't you? You thought the whole fidget spinner thing was something you wouldn't have to hear about again. HA! The article does state that you can buy one of these rotating masterpieces from the Japan Handspinner Club for $450. NMB makes some seriously high quality bearings, couple that with the lack of battery and this one has almost no chance of exploding.

"By incorporating technologies used for space satellites, we were able to realise smoothness and overwhelming rotation time that we’ve never seen before. We also applied bearing manufacturing technologies used for aircraft as well as wheels and rings. We use materials with the highest strength among aluminum alloys and highest quallity brass so that wheels and rings are thoroughly thinner and lighter than conventional ones," - Shigeru None.

sleepeeg3 and janas19 like this.
  2. Jovian

Jovian Limp Gawd

Holding my hard out that long would be painful

THUMPer likes this.
  3. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

I believe you're still safe, it's 6 hours before you should consult a doctor

NeoNemesis, mord, craigdt and 17 others like this.
  4. Absalom

Absalom Limp Gawd

The real value isn't in the spinner itself, but the technology and r&d that went into making it the perfect spinner.

5. vinciblegod

vinciblegod n00bie

This is basically the same as that video of some aerospace engineers making the perfect spinning top, the point is to show off their engineering prowess.

6. ZLoth

ZLoth Gawd

I'm about 20 years removed from being a machinist. You should google the specs on Timken bearings. Some of the specs can get interesting, especially with the maximum RPMs. I always got a chuckle whenever I reviewed the receipt from the bearing supplier, and the explicit disclaimer that it could not be used in missiles and nuclear reactor systems. Nope, just food processing equipment.

janas19 likes this.
  7. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

was that supposed to relief or induce stress... team of 50 engineers to miss the primary fonction of the tool...

Spidey329 and rgMekanic like this.
  8. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

But what if my food processor is located inside a nuclear reactor?

cyclone3d and rgMekanic like this.
  9. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

want to buy one for son but at $450 I'll pass. 20+ minutes will only find use so many times before it's just shelved :(

I wonder what the wear down ratio is for a piece like this? I would assume due to the massive precision required and the attention to dust proofing the batch used, that it wouldn't take long to start degrading performance. Regardless, you might still be hitting 18 minutes 5 years from now, which wouldn't be anything to scoff at.

craigdt likes this.
  10. Mike89

Mike89 Gawd

I've got 7 minutes out of my spinner (on desk). 24 minutes is insane. So is the price. Mine was $35, this one is $450. No way Jose. I was interested in spinners...........for about a minute. Now I take mine out every once in a blue moon and fiddle with it.

11. Travolta

Travolta Gawd

What the article doesn’t mention is it took 50 engineers to make the spinner, but a machinist to fix it for them. Hahaha!!!!! (I’m a machinist).

12. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

They're only about a year late with this.

craigdt likes this.
  13. Mugato

Mugato Gawd

Misogynist. Did you see the "nerdy girls" getting smoked by those guys? Couldn't be that they are simply better at that...not at all.

14. Gottfried Leibnizzle

Gottfried Leibnizzle Limp Gawd

Surely removing the holes from the disc would make it more efficient?

15. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Limp Gawd

Having this in a laptop will save some precious battery life.

16. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

17. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Team of 50 people.......you can't even find these at Walmart anymore unless the Toy dept. still has them we even carried the replacement bearings from them at one time.

18. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

I want one! Getting my checkbook ready...

19. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak Gawd

I find this ironic since Mitsubishi was known for crankwalk problems. Maybe this was a team building exercise to figure out bearings.

20. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

21. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous 2[H]4U

You are not having fun with your kids until you tell them to follow you to the garage with that fidget spinner.
    Then tell them "Ok, hold it like that"; then you hit it is 100 PSI of compressed air from the air gun.
    It takes off sounding like a turbo spooling up and they quickly get scared and start whining. It is hysterical! :D

22. Fuzzy Logik

Fuzzy Logik [H]ard|Gawd

23. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

I had a fancy version of that 30-35 years ago. Even came with a stand. Ran me out of about $8.

Gyroscope.jpg

mord, Travolta and TwistedAegis like this.
  24. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

cool now mount it on my rims...