A TB+ of data and looking for cheap, reliable backup!

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
Trying to figure out a way, if there is one, to back up almost 1.5 TB of data cheaply and reliably. Tape drives look nice but each tape uncompressed (don't trust compression) is roughly 200gb, so that is a lot of tapes.:( If I went hard drives I might as well have a mirror machine.

Any other options?! Not sure what else they have available besides a hard drive or tape backup. :confused: :confused:

Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick 2.

750GB Barracudas in eSATA enclosures are an option.

So is getting a Blu Ray burner.

As much as tape sucks, there's a reason why pretty much every enterprise out there uses it as their backup method...it's an absolutely horrible backup strategy...until you compare it to all the others.

Yeah, I could do 750s and copy everything over via eSATA and just have a basic little computer sitting around actting no more then just a backup server and it would cost less then buying a $6,500 tape drive set up capable of holding 2.8 TB of uncompressed data.

Then that computer could crash too... :mad:

I would setup a RAID6 machine to mirror the data.
A RAID6 setup would mean you could lose 2 drives from the array and it still not fail, you would have to lose 3 for a complete failure.

But then comes the real issue you are going to face, what happens in a fire/flood? This is where tapes and offsite backup come in real handy.

4x 750Gb SATA HDs.

Backup on 2x 750Gbs. (onsite)

Backup on 2x 750Gbs (offsite, or throw it into your safe)

First, I would first do an audit of what you really need to backup. 1.5TB is a whole lot of data, I can't imagine all of that would be *crucial.*

And yes, since price seems to be a concern, eSATA would be a way to go.

RAID6, doesn't seeem to be an option in your case.

Back