A Survey on Nvidia and ATI Graphics Cards

1. Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer: Nvidia, ATI, or would you use either one?

Couldn't give a monkeys. I've flitted back and forth between them dependent upon who has the best at the time.

2. What is more important to you, price or performance?

Both, in fact more accurately it's who has the best sweet spot. My current card is off ebay and I would have gone for anything in the £50 region, it just happened to be a 9800GTX+ that I lucked out with.

3. Is buying the latest graphics technology important to you?

No. With anything as fast paced as computers I see no point in ever buying the latest and greatest because it won't be for long. I find it far better to always aim for the performance/price sweet spot. That way you have respectable performance and the funds to make upgrades more frequently.

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?

Always. I don't see how else you can make an informed decision without the review data and benchmark comparisons

1. Does not matter. I'll switch back and forth all of the time.
2. Both are. Finding the sweet spot; most bang for the buck... occasionally I'll throw down a couple more bones on a peripheral just for bragging rights, or e-penis waving... but usually there is a marginal increase in performance if none at all...
3. nope. I'm still rocking my HD5850... I'm happy with it. No desire to drop $300-500 for an tiny margin of performance increase.
4.Hell yes. the more reviews I read, the smarter I become at two things. 1)more reviews of a product gives you a better idea of how the product is going to do for me. 2)you begin to learn the reviewers bias....

1. Red makes me Green with envy. 2. Hey everybody let's upgrade to this slower than shit video card, because it's cheaper than the fast ones !!! 3. Oh how much do U want for your greatest video card of all time, that you're going to replace in 4 months. 4. Why yes I do Tom, ;) so keep up the good work. Psst your checks in the mail.

1) Don't care which anymore.
2) Both, and if the sweet spot for middle of the road performance is around the same (6800's and 460's), i will go with the one that is more power efficient (AMD this time around).
3) Not at all, i just upgraded my HTPC from an 8600gt to a 5670 and then a 6850 for that sweet spot and some great deals i found.
4. Of course, but only from reputable sites, and i look around until i find enough data on the graphic modes i care about (between 720p with AA to 1080p w/o this time to match my screen, and both companies are great with accelerated playback so i don't need those benchies anymore)

Wow! You guys rock! Thanks so much for your excellent feedback. :)

I realize that question 4 might be a given and silly to ask you guys. I pasted this survey to several different kinds of sites including gaming sites (even a couple MMO sites). It's great that some of you shared which sites you refer to. I wasn't aware of some of them. By the way, that link to the steam page is awesome! :)

Any more feedback from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys! :)

Last edited:
1. Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer: Nvidia, ATI, or would you use either one?
Either really, but I'm leaning toward the green side since they tend to have more stable drivers.

The price/performance ratio I'd say is most important.

Absolutely not. Until a game/application comes out that needs it.

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?
Of course!

Good luck with your assignment!

i use either, whichever is the current best bang for my buck. i have no brand loyalty for videocards.

the sweet spot. i usually buy a step or two down from the top end when i purchase videocards.

its nice to have, but my current videocard is a gtx 260. the original 192 shader version. its still running strong for me.

always. but i put more faith in the reviews from some sites than others.

1. I have a small preference for ATI but I have own many NVIDIA cards. I find NVIDIA to be more arrogant and I will never forget that they used (or maybe still?) to pay peoples to infiltrate forums.
2. Performance is very important but not at any price. I will not pay 100$ for a 5% performance increase. Multi-monitor support, Image quality, drivers stability, power consumptions and noise are other important factors. I do not care about 3D gimmick nor physics.
3. Yes if there is something worthy. I upgrade once every year.
4. [H] than Hardware Canuck. I prefer real gaming benchmarking than canned benchmark.

I usually base my upgrade decisions on that "one" game I'll be playing for a long time. This fall I'll upgrade around BF3.

1. I have no preference. I've been switching back and forth from nvidia to ati for a long time.
2. Price/Performance is what I look for most of the time. Tho I wouldn't be opposed to buying the most expensive one as long as it's performance can justify the premium.
3. I buy the latest technology thats available when it comes time to upgrade.
4. Yes, of course!

Don't have a real preference, I purchase whatever is best at the time.

Mix. I want the most bang/buck. I won't pay 500+ for a card just because it's the "best." I buy the best available that's attainable for around $250-350

Only when it comes time to upgrade.

I use reviews extensively before I purchase. I use reviews from newegg, toms, [H], and anand.

ATI/AMD

Both are important.

Not as much as it used to be.

Yes. I prefer Toms Hardware.

1. Either, but last few years it has been AMD. NV burned me with their bumpgate fiasco (2x dead laptops) and last year my 8800GTS640 died for no reason (paid over $600 for that card at launch w/ taxes so I feel bummed). Using my old X1900GT right now that runs fine so I conclude AMD/ATI makes better hardware.

2. Price and performance. But price before performance.

3. Yes. I went from a GTX295 to a 5870 for DX11 and better single GPU performance, less power consumption and heat, even though overall performance may have been slightly less. Didn't regret it one bit.

4. Yes. I only read [H] and Anandtech. Lately AT's GPU reviews has been entirely useless so I only go there for the SSD/CPU articles mostly.

-- nVidia

-- Performance

-- Yes

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?[/QUOTE]

-- Yes

Here's the opinion of a gamer:

- ATI, no doubt about it (I've always found them to be more attuned to the market, they perform for less money and when the games world requires new technology ATI is usualy up to date on their cheaper cards so no point buying a heavy duty Nvidia card for a lot of money, you barely notice the performance increase on most games anyway).

- Both obviously, I want the newest technology, above average performance for a descent price.

- It only is important if it makes a lot of visual changes wich are noticable in game.

- I always consult tests & reviews for all hardware parts but I also consult the reviews from consumers because their voice is important too in desciding what to buy (testers usualy don't test for long and don't test it for all applications to fully know what hardware is truly worth).

1. Either, I choose whoever has the best card.
2. Both, though I care more about performance.
3. Yes, I like to keep up to date with the latest technology.
4. Always, I need to research and read the reviews and benchmarks before purchasing a new video card.

1: Either one is fine for me depending on what i want to do.

2: I try to get the most bang for my $$$, but like all others if price is no issue then i get the best of the best.

3: No, When i am in need of an upgrade or more horse power then i will either get a 2nd or 3rd card of the generation i have and thats all within 1.5 - 2 years. Then when a upgrade is needed after that i get the Best of the Best.

4: Yes, before i even consider buying I go to local stores and take notes on what they have that i need and their prices then compair with newegg and others. After that i will go to about 15-20 sites to look over reviews and benches of the cards i would like to get and see if there is a better option to the cards i want and what not.

I'm sure you've seen your fair share of "Nvidia versus ATI" threads, and this isn't meant to be just another one of those. I am working on an English final assignment that I decided was going to be an analytical report comparing Nvidia and ATI. I figure one of the best ways to gather data on this is by going to the gaming and PC communities that care about this topic.

I put together a few brief questions below. I am posting this to several gaming and PC community sites. Your participation by answering these questions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take up too much of your time, so simple answers (ex. yes or no) is all that I need. But if you wish to expand and discuss your opinion more, you're certainly welcomed to. Please keep it civil.

Thank you for your time.

I use either one.

Performance.

Only if it offers something over previous generations beyond an incremental bump in speed.

Yes.

Does not matter.

Price per performance (aka best bang for the buck).

Only when serious upgrading is required and if I want to play the latest Crysis at least barely playably.

[H]ardOCP and advice from [H]ardForum members.

Either one

Performance

No

Yes

Either

Price (I am assuming you mean"performance" to say that money is no object, and you will get the fastest thing out there)

Yes

Yes

Simple question of preference and habit - I use Nvidia.

Both!

No - I want a GPU that does its job.

Yes - I read as many reviews as possible and try to get some user feedback also.

AMD/ATI. Have used both. NV has constantly let me down so haven't used them since the 6000 series. I'm an anomaly because NV cards have always been unstable in my computers but AMD/ATI have always been rock solid.

Both are equally important. Thus why cards like the 4870 and 5870 series are so great. You get the best of both worlds.

Only when I build a new computer. If hardware dies it gets a nominal upgrade. For instance right now to replace my 4870s I would get a single 6850.

Absolutely. If I didn't I wouldn't be here at the [H]. ;)

NVIDIA, they generally have the fastest chip and the most features. Plus better drivers. Although I have stuff from both

Both. I don't want the cheapest card but I can't afford the fastest.

Usually. If it's useful.

Websites, yes. Magazines, no not in years.

1. Would use either
2. Both
3. No
4. Yes

Small note here, you should consider it now as AMD, since last year, the ATi brand is no longer in use.

Either. I've used Nvidia ( GTX295 ) and ATI ( 2600Pro, 9800Pro, ATI Rage... ) ... but recently i sold my GTX580 and got 2 6970's.

Usually i look at performance more than price, since i don't buy graphic cards that often ... but after getting the 6970's i will lean towards a solution that gives good performance for your buck.

My graphic cards have a lifespan of 2 years +- ... so not that important for me ... usually only when i get a game that starts requiring more power than the one i have, i start thinking about getting new cards

Absolutely. It's impossible for the common mortal to try cards before buying one. So we rely on reviews. Usually i read 5 reviews of the same product and if all say the same thing about the product that will motivate me to buy it or not.

No preference. Depends on needs and how they are met by the product.

Price/performance balance is top. Next comes noise. Next is Eyefinity/Surround performance.

Nope, as long as I can play all the games, I am cool with what I have.

I consider everything. Including individual users experiences.

In general, I lean toward Nvidia. I like how their control panel can be used to adjust lots of settings (and force things like vsync) all in one location. Plus, I appreciate how their hardware can work with my 3DTV. I've had great ATI cards in the past, but more recently I've found their hardware to be troublesome.

Some of both, but I'd be willing to pay a premium for performance and stability.

Yup. I hate playing at under 50 fps. Can't stand it. If I'm going to be forced to do that, I'll just get the Xbox versions of everything.

Yup - mainly the ones here, at Anand's, and at Guru3D.

I would use either one, usually which ever is faster. I currently have Nvidia in my 4 pc's.

Performance is the most important to me.

I would not say that the newest technology is per se. I guess it depends on if the new technology is actually used and if it speeds up my games.

Yes I always read reviews on websites such as hard/guru/anand.

I have bought both in the past. Tend to prefer Nvidia due to better Linux drivers.

If I had to choose, I'd go with performance, but really neither. I like to feel like I got a good bang for the buck, so a lot of performance for not much money :p

When I buy, I buy the latest generation, so yes. I don't want to buy something that's already on its way out. For instance, I'd rather buy a mid grade DX11 board (Like the GTX460), than a high end last generation board. (GTX285)

I do consider reviews, but I don't recall reading PCWorld, and I haven't read Toms Hardware since the 90s, and don't really trust that publication.

I read mostly Hardocp and Anandtech

1. Nvidia. I've always had problems with ATI cards, so I've stopped buying them. I'm sure I've just been unlucky, though.

2. Both, but price more so.

3. Not really. When there are huge (and affordable) technological advances, I'll make the leap.

4. Yes, I do a lot of research before selecting something; usually benchmarks and comparisons from several different sites.

nvidia

both

yes

[H]

Slight preference for nvidia, but I buy both. Right now most of my systems have ATI chips inside.

Price. But performance/$ is a major factor after minimum performance is met.

No.

Yes, but not the n00b sources mentioned. ;) I find 100% of magazine reviews to be 100% worthless to judge gaming performance or even learn about notable features. Give me [H] or TechReport any day over those.

1. AMD preference but have no problems with Nvidia
2. Price, but like everyone else it is more of a Price/Performance
3. Not so much, I tend to buy every few years or when there is something I can't play to the settings I want. When it is time to upgrade I try to get as close to the top of tech as I can within my budget (a 6950 this time)
4.Yes, but anymore I just use [H] because of the testing methods

I generally run nVidia, i perferred them back when ATI drivers were junk. I've since stuck with them as I feel they offer a better video card product.

I like to take a mix. I don't normally run bleeding edge technology video cards.
I find that the high end mid range cards to be the best of both price & performance.

Not really.

I definitely research the hardware I buy extensively before hand. I don't want to make compatibility mistakes down the road so I make sure everything will be copacetic.

I'm slightly swinging towards Nvidia, but the recent generations ATI has been impressing me.
Performance, but it has to have a good value towards it.
No, I buy what will run my games at good settings at a steady frame rate.
None at the above, but yes I use reviews to help me choose.

I tend to swing towards nvidia but I will go either way. ATI has really cleaned up their act these last few years.

Neither. I look at performance per dollar and buy the most efficient card when the time comes. This is usually in the $200-300 range.

No. I only buy a new video card when it will offer at least a 100-200% increase in performance at the minimum for a reasonable price

Yes. How could anyone gather the information necessary to make an informed product decision without looking at reviews?

Most of all, I ran into a Nvidia employee at a LAN 10+ years ago and he was a massive douche bag.
So if I find a AMD employee who is a douche you'll just stop buying graphics cards? That's a pretty bad reason to pick a company...

1: nVidia. Less driver bullshit I've found, coming from a 5970 that was nothing but hell.
2. Some balance of them...but I own a GTX580, so perf matters more, I guess. I only bought a 5970 because it wasn't full price.
3. Meh, as others have said, DX11 support is lacking, so it's not huge to me.
4. Some places, yes. If it's a magazine, I don't read it. If it's an in depth 15 page review from Anandtech, [H] or a similar site, I read it - and I try to read a large number of reviews before buying.

nVidia

both

no

yes

You guys are awesome. The feedback is of great help and greatly appreciated.

I guess I could've phrased question 2 better. Obviously, both price and performance are going to be important to everyone when buying a graphics card. The question was meant to ask which side of the price : performance ratio you tend to lean more towards.

Thanks again guys!

i prefer AMD for the value you get. kinda sketchy on nvidia. their high end is typically overpriced and their mid range is competitive with AMD at best so outside of high end they don't stand out to me. i see their features as gimmicks. physx, i dunno what CUDA is exactly, and 3D splits my head(played guild wars in 3D back in the day on ATI).

both, and AMD almost always mops up when both are factored in.

i'd buy whatever is current at the time of purchase, but as i said i don't want gimmicks that cut my framerate in half.

only certain sites, but yes.

Back