A Survey on Nvidia and ATI Graphics Cards

Cybercoco

n00b
I'm sure you've seen your fair share of "Nvidia versus ATI" threads, and this isn't meant to be just another one of those. I am working on an English final assignment that I decided was going to be an analytical report comparing Nvidia and ATI. I figure one of the best ways to gather data on this is by going to the gaming and PC communities that care about this topic.

I put together a few brief questions below. I am posting this to several gaming and PC community sites. Your participation by answering these questions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take up too much of your time, so simple answers (ex. yes or no) is all that I need. But if you wish to expand and discuss your opinion more, you're certainly welcomed to. Please keep it civil.

Thank you for your time.

1. Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer: Nvidia, ATI, or would you use either one?

2. What is more important to you, price or performance?

3. Is buying the latest graphics technology important to you?

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?

Since im bored:

1. Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer: Nvidia, ATI, or would you use either one?

Would use either

Both are important

Not anymore, not until new consoles are released.

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?

Yes....

Either
Performance
Yes
Yes

1. Whichever has the card I want. So either.
2. Both.
3. With consoles keeping the PC-ports at low requirements, not so much.
4. Yes, and always from several sources.

I would use either one.

Price, I guess? Bang for the buck matters.

Yes, but not in a "price is no object way". I get the best return by buying around 3 months after launch, and selling right after the next product comes out. I had a 5850 and upgraded to a 6950 for $75, before the price came down too much on the 5850 market. I will probably either upgrade to a 79xx when it comes out (hopefully for <$100) or buy a cheap used 6950 for <$200 for crossfire.

Yes, but not from either of those websites. I read HardOCP, Bit-Tech, Guru3D, and TechPowerUp to shop for GPUs.

1. Either.
2. Price/performance, then overclock to make up the difference.
3. Only once every three years.
4. Absolutely.

Either is fine with me.

Performance

Somewhat. I try to stay semi-current with what's out so I can hold onto it for a while until a generation or two goes by then buy back into high end stuff when it's "needed".

Always and with as many sources as possible to cross compare results and testing methods.

ATI because i got a laptop with a nvidia video card that had a known issue and caused me a tonne of grief but nothing was done about it. I refuse to buy another nvidia product because of it. I was open to both before though.

price. It's all about the bang for your buck.

no, again.. best bang for your buck is more important to me.

yes, read up as much as possible generally.

-Either.

-Performance, but price is obviously still a factor.

-It depends on the games I play at the time and if they will take advantage of that latest technology or not. I'm interested in the latest tech to the extent that I am able to use it, rather than marketing fluff with little real-world application.

Yes.

1. After some driver problems with my AMD chipset i've refused to buy nvidia products, unless they offer a good price/performance.
2. As stated above, price/performance is more important.
3. Nope, but I will use that to my advantage when I fully upgrade computers.
4. Somewhat. I take everybody into account, and see if users are reproducing the same results.

Either one. I have a slight lean toward Nvidia due to a good history with several cards (6600gt, 7600gt, 8800gts).

Price FOR performance is most important. I don't need bleeding edge top of the line, but getting close for less money is always nice. I look for the best "value" for my money.

No. Not at all. I generally enjoy games at high frame rates at medium. If my card cant do that, I am willing to get a new one. I upgrade maybe once every 2 years.

Yes. Not really for numbers, but to see what would be a worthwhile upgrade.

I would use either one.

Price, I guess? Bang for the buck matters.

Yes, but not in a "price is no object way". I get the best return by buying around 3 months after launch, and selling right after the next product comes out. I had a 5850 and upgraded to a 6950 for $75, before the price came down too much on the 5850 market. I will probably either upgrade to a 79xx when it comes out (hopefully for <$100) or buy a cheap used 6950 for <$200 for crossfire.

Yes, but not from either of those websites. I read HardOCP, Bit-Tech, Guru3D, and TechPowerUp to shop for GPUs.

+1...

Varies from generation to generation. Right now ATI. The previous few were NVDA.

Both.

No. You can blame that one on consoles.

Somewhat.

I've owned both. These days, I would probably buy nVidia for a desktop (I fold, and the ATI client isn't very good) and AMD in a laptop (lower power consumption).

A good solid mix will be the best sell. I typically have a fairly fixed price point of between 150 and 200, so I'll buy whatever performs best in that range.

Perhaps not the latest, but recent enough to continue playing new games at "acceptable" quality, and it's always fun to watch the jump in folding@home production from a new card.

Definitely. I usually read Toms and Anandtech, as well as browsing around [H] before I even consider buying.

I'm 100% in the ATI camp. Back in the day it, IMO, they focused on image quality more so that won me over at first. Most of all, I ran into a Nvidia employee at a LAN 10+ years ago and he was a massive douche bag.

Price.. In a trade off of FPS vs $$$, I'll side on saving some coin..

Yes, but with question #2 in mind.. So newer model line, midrange level like say 6870.. but it's not important like "Oh new card, I just want to buy one".. I need something to drive to me to it, like a new game is out I can't play that well FPS wise or whatever. BF3 for example will result in some sort of upgrade, I'm sure..

Yes but mostly just to talk myself into it.. I already know that a newer card is going to be better, being I don't upgrade until my older gear starts to feel "old"..

but modern video cards have a lot more going on now then just FPS.. You have heat, power consumption, over all size and even stuff like where the power connections or the type of output connection they have.. You have to hit the review sites to find out the info.

Either one

Price for performance.

No

Yes

Either one

Both, bang for the buck is very important

Yes, and although I can't typically afford the high end, I'll usually upgrade each cycle to a mid range card or a high end card from the previous generation

Yes, with [H]ardocp being my first, and then just reading a multitude of other reviews

Neither in terms of brand name. But there are differences outside of benchmarking numbers that I factor into purchase. If all else is equal, I prefer to own 1 of each brand at the same time.

Price, more so value, after a certain performance threshold criteria is met.

Yes in terms of feature set, efficiency, and technological interest. I do not care about straight performance numbers after meeting my needs. This is why I prefer more mid range cards that I can resell and upgrade every generation, as I value those factors more so then straight performance from very high ends cards or multi GPU configs.

Yes multiple, but for the test data and information presented, not the conclusions and opinions presented.

1. Either one. AMD generally has better bang for your buck, and has a more forward-thinking outlook, and has a pro-consumer business model, so I like AMD more for these reasons, but I would use either.

2. Both. More specifically, the ratio of price to performance, or "bang for your buck".

3. No, as long as it has the performance and features that will satisfy my usage scenario. The newest graphic cards have the advantage of more advanced manufacturing processes and other non-performance improvements, leading to greater efficiency and usability, which I value. To sum up this anachronism, I value the improvements offered by more recent generations, but the whole package has to be taken in context to the price and what I will use it for.

4. Yes. Benchmarks, relative performance, thermal/acoustic characteristics are all very important factors which make review sites a valuable tool. A reviewer's opinion is one iota of my consideration compared to the above factors.

Last edited:
1. Whichever one gives me the performance I'm looking for at the best price point. I have been to both camps and have no issue swinging both ways. For my present graphics card ATI had the best deal going by far.

2. Both. I'm not some tard that will spend $750 on a GPU. Nor would I purchase a card that under performs because my budget is set so low. If the day came that I was required to buy a $750 GPU in order to stay in the game, I'd jump to the console boat in a heart beat.

3. No. As long as the game looks good to me and performs well in high quality, I'm fine. Most of the graphical enchantments don't do much upon release. Usually takes a generation or so for the developers to play catch up.

4. Duh. I look at several sources and compare the games and applications that I use. I prefer Apples to Apples reviews. I might takes a friends advice. But I find them to be even more bias and less informed than most reviews.

BTW this may help you
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Either one. Whichever provides the best bang for the dollar.

A combination of both. Best performance for the dollar.

No. For the games I play, at the resolution I run, having the latest graphics technology is not important to me. Especially since if I needed more performance I can just buy a 2nd video card to SLI or Crossfire.

Absolutely yes. I prefer sites which review hardware based on real-world gameplay. Any others basing their reviews on pre-defined / scripted benchmarks are worthless to me.

1. either
2. price. but price vs performance. i dont buy highest end stuff but, the best value
3. no.
4. websites.

• Either. I'm currently using both in two different systems.

• Performance then price. I'll pay good money for good performance, within reason.

• Not as much as being able to play the most recent/demanding games with all the eye candy turned on.

• Absolutely. As long as they are unpaid and unbiased. Any review where a GPU receives super high or perfect scores is a little suspect. Beware the fan boy...

Ati since the Radeon LE days

Price vs performance and ATi usually wins that one

See my signature

No, I just read the forums and wait until the ATi card I want gets to my price range and buy it. Most likely will get a 7xxx series card

1. Either. Depends on the purpose.
2. Both. Good performance at a good price.
3. No, as long as games play fairly well.
4. Toms is just a glorified advert site these days but I do consider what some websites say. I use a few of them to get an overall impression of hardware.

I use either- whichever fits my requirements for a particular build (budget and performance and power/heat/noise)

The most important to me is the price/performance ratio. I will usually get the best performance I can get at a given price point, unless it there are specific power/noise/heat requirements for a particular build (say server/HTPC type build)

Generally I like to get the newest generation I can afford unless I can get a much better price/performance point on an older generation that still meets my minimum performance requirement.

Absolutely. Mostly just [H] these days as I am finding sites like Toms and other to be more biased than I would have expected, as well as finding out how different the results are with their canned benchmarks.

Nvidia, Would & Have used ATI before

A combonation of both. Fast enough it wont need to be replaced in the near future, Cheap enough that the card isnt worth several hundred dollars less than what i paid for it when i upgrade and sell it.

No

Yes

At this point, Nvidia. My old 8800GT worked great, then I wanted to try ATI, my 4870 is great, but then I ordered a 5870 and had nothing but problems. Enough to say I'll probably never buy an AMD card ever again.

Definitely a balance. But I'd say performance

No, but I wish I could afford it :p

Yes.

ATI, but will use either. Which ever is best for the situation.

Balance of both.

Yes.

Yes, especially |H|ocp!

Nvidia and ATI/AMD have different strategies concerning the GPU. Nvidia has been designing large die chips. AMD has been trying to design their chips to be smaller compared to Nv. AMD also has been an early adopter of new process technology. I think this has helped their engineers become more knowledgeable on how to handle new processes. Nvidia has waited longer before going to new process tech, letting others deal with working out the bugs and allowing them to have higher yields than if they would have tried to make the chip earlier in the process transition. I like ATI/AMD's approach myself and it is working well for them.

1. Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer: Nvidia, ATI, or would you use either one? Nvidia

2. What is more important to you, price or performance? perf

3. Is buying the latest graphics technology important to you? hell yes

4. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card? yes

Bottom line is what card is best for you. If it's gamming, then what card works best for those games.

1. Either
2. The (Performance / Price) ratio is the most important thing to me.
3. Yes, but I don't upgrade to a new $500 card with every generation release. I upgrade when the games I play start to show some performance drops.
4. I make extensive use of reviews.

I'd use either one, but I feel more comfortable with NVIDIA (been using exclusively NVIDIA for years, but have built some AMD-based rigs for friends).

Prerformance.

Yup. Latest tech (well, in the past anyway) meant games looked better and played better.

Of course. How else would I know what performs the best?

1. Only Nvidia. Had problems with ATI in the past and just don't have trust in them anymore.
2. Both are important. If a $200 video card is just 2-5% lower performance than a $300 card, I just can't justify the $300. If I'm getting 25-50% higher performance from the $300 card, then I'd get it.
3. Nope. As long as I can play at the highest settings with no AA/AF at 1920x1200, I don't care if it's the latest or last gen. I don't use AA/AF, cause I never have a magnifying glass on my screen looking at crap in the background.
4. Yes. I look through Anandtech, HardOCP, Tom's Hardware, etc sites. I don't look at magazines cause it feels like the writers are out of touch with tech.

1. Either

2. Performance

3. Yes

4. [H]ardOCP, PC Perspective, Hardwarezone, VR-Zone, /r/hardware and /r/buildapc on reddit

1. Price Performance. Whatever is the best card at the time for the best price. Right now its AMD.

2. Both

3. It depends if there are games to accually push the video cards, and if the newest technology accually has anything that will make it that much better over the previous generation.

4. Depends on the website. Some websites are very biased toward a certain brand. This is why I keep coming back to [H]ardocp. They review how it is, and dont bullshit around, no matter if it offends a certain Graphics card company or not.

which ever one has the best performance to power usage. though folding(GPGPU) performance also plays a big role in what card i choose.

both, price to performance and performance to power usage both play key roles in how i choose my card(s).

depends on what it brings to the table and if its worth paying the new technology premium price tag.

yes, i'd say 90% of what i decide on is based on what i read in the review here on [H]ardocp and what i read on 3-4 other sites as long as the information/reviews are consistent.

good luck on your english final paper.

• Either. I'm currently using both in two different systems.

• Performance then price. I'll pay good money for good performance, within reason.

• Not as much as being able to play the most recent/demanding games with all the eye candy turned on.

• Absolutely. As long as they are unpaid and unbiased. Any review where a GPU receives super high or perfect scores is a little suspect. Beware the fan boy...

I'm the exact same way; except i obesssivly research it for days >.>

Back