a stupid hard drive story

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
Quick story that you guys might find useful one day.

Mother in law asked me to fix her desktop. I don't do much of repair these days, but can't refuse family. Old system now, remember the q6600?

She sent me a text image. Right away I figured hard drive failure. It's a 13 year old drive after all.

So I tried the usual tricks, couldn't get it to work in my usb dock. Hoping to recover the data. Windows seemed to recognize that something was there, but couldn't access it in any way. I was about ready to declare it a lost cause and then on a whim I took a closer look at the drive itself.....

The sata contacts were corroded. Connector on the cable was pretty green inside too. Bit of sandpaper and a new cable and it works fine again.

Doesn't seem to be any reason for this, everything else is fine. Can't say I've ever run into this one but I'll sure be checking for it again in the future.

Probably not, and it sits in the basement. Could very well be high humidity. She's not going to listen anyway.

Buy her a SSD

Already done. I had my old 250GB 850 evo doing nothing in my system so dumped it into the MIL's system and clone over. Now I'm overclocking for shits and giggles. I never had a chance to play with the q6600 G0 until now. Quite the fun cpu, I missed out back when these were new. So far I've gone from 2.4 to 2.9 on air. Temps aren't breaking 60C and so far doesn't need anything more than stock voltage. With how the old memory dividers are I think I'll leave it there. Plus I want this to be as safe as possible so I don't have to mess with it later.

Back