A Startup Is Pitching a Mind-Uploading Service That Is “100 Percent Fatal”

A problem that solves itself. too bad there is no "permanent" storage medium no matter what some would claim

Eh, with the boundless oddities in physics ranging from the too finely tuned constants, strange evenness of the universe or space-time being too flat to be a coincidence all the way to a cosmological constant indicating that even nothing is still something and the uncanny existence of a scaffolding to keep everything together I pretty much expect reality to be determined to be a simulatiom of another existence's creation.

I agree.

God's gaming rig is more bad-ass than anybody's! :D

Hebrews 11:3

New Living Translation
"By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God's command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen."

Eh, with the boundless oddities in physics ranging from the too finely tuned constants, strange evenness of the universe or space-time being too flat to be a coincidence all the way to a cosmological constant indicating that even nothing is still something and the uncanny existence of a scaffolding to keep everything together I pretty much expect reality to be determined to be a simulatiom of another existence's creation.
With the recent loss of Stephen Hawking (a fine athiest, I might add), "Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places" is free until March 23rd
curiositystream.com/hawking/
It's the Good Stuff

Color me impressed, someone decided to talk about God on a tech forum and the forum didn't go rabid! Good job, guys!

Just remember, every believer has a dark, depressing place where they wonder if there is no God, and every atheist has a lonely, sad place where they wonder if God might actually exist.

A thinly veiled assisted suicide factory is what I see.

Sometimes I think scientists get too big for their britches.

Sounds like "Altered Carbon"
Hope they don't store the data on seagate hard drives. :eek:

Altered Carbon is too recent and "nice", you need to go back further in Cyberpunk history for this one:

Software_(novel).jpg

A strange read to be sure, but actually very close to this concept: The brain is eaten in pieces, while the person is still conscious, by robots to get all the information. At the same time, they also harvest everything else in the body for fun and profit altogether in what is a rather stomach-churning description. As a creepy sci-fi bonus, the year in the story is 2020.

I can be sure some they we will be in robot armor. Its already know dead people will live.

But.... Can it run Crysis?
Just couldn't help it.

About the brain thing, maybe some day we can scan each and every connection between neurons, all their positions and a lot of the energy patterns and chemical patterns and reproduce... Something? ... I imagine we will soon discover that the surface arrangements affects things further and shit like that.

hey i didnt think of that. would that be legal?

I was thinking about the same thing. How is this going to be legal in many places when assisted suicide isn't. Is that their actual desire, they claim to have a product and need people to help test it. Start with sick people who don't want to live anymore and when the process fails to backup anything, it is just a setback and the person is dead. Maybe they don't actually want to really backup people's minds but instead just want to assist people in suicide but are using a fake company to get around any legal setbacks.

Yes, existence is complex.

How did God come into existence?
I do not know. It is said that He always existed.

And no... I can't prove any of that to you.

Obvious troll is obvious.
Well fed troll is well fed.
Damn, why did we feed obvious troll?

Even if brain uploads become technically possible I can't see too much interest when the customer realizes they still die all the same. Someone above got it right with cut\paste, not copy\paste

Assisted suicide is long overdue.

And considering the insanity you put faith in your jab at scientists is completely meaningless.

Obvious troll is obvious.
Well fed troll is well fed.
Damn, why did we feed obvious troll?

What... because I post something you don't agree with that makes me a troll?

lol.... no noobie, it doesn't work like that.

Shouldn't you be in your Mom's basement watching CNN and making anti-Trump signs?

Yes, existence is complex.

How did God come into existence?
I do not know. It is said that He always existed.

And no... I can't prove any of that to you.

Of course you can’t because it’s all fairytale bullshit contrived and perpetuated by insecure humans and those like the Catholic Church that seek to control and fleece their sheepish followers.

Of course you can’t because it’s all fairytale bullshit contrived and perpetuated by insecure humans and those like the Catholic Church that seek to control and fleece their sheepish followers.

"89% of Americans say they believe in God"

http://news.gallup.com/poll/193271/americans-believe-god.aspx

The vast majority of the U.S. and the majority of the planet believes in God.

You are on the wrong planet sir.

BTW, I'm Christian but not a fan of the Catholic Church.
I would agree with you that their motives are not always so pure.
The sins of the Catholic Church are not God's fault.

"89% of Americans say they believe in God"

http://news.gallup.com/poll/193271/americans-believe-god.aspx

The vast majority of the U.S. and the majority of the planet believes in God.

You are on the wrong planet sir.

BTW, I'm Christian but not a fan of the Catholic Church.
I would agree with you that their motives are not always so pure.
The sins of the Catholic Church are not God's fault.

Atheists are the fastest growing group in the US. People are waking up and realizing these man made religions are bs.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Atheists are the fastest growing group in the US. People are waking up and realizing these man made religions are bs.

And the bible tells us that many will lose their faith. That is not a surprise.
It's a very sad thing, but not a surprise.

Didn't they show backing up the brain would require such a large amount of storage it's completely impractical?

Completely impractical today? Remember in the 90s most drives sold were still in MB. The first 1TB HD wasnt until what 2007? Now we have 10TB and larger. And didnt Seagate just put 60TB into a SSD? Probably cost as much as my truck for a year or three...

Id say its within the realm of possible to be practical within a decade if storage tech continues to improve.

Sounds like "Altered Carbon"
Hope they don't store the data on seagate hard drives. :eek:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

I don't think memories are stored in the flesh, so this probably won't work.
I believe the brain is like a transceiver that interfaces the spirit world with the physical world.

There are mediums who communicate with people who have departed the physical existence
and the departed ones still have their memories long after the brain was cremated and gone.

That said, it may be possible to model a living person's memories and knowledge into some
type of cyber storage system. Once the body is dead though, I don't think that data will be
accessible by trying to access dead brain tissue.

Ok fine, then build a new antenna to access it. Problem solved.

This whole thing is looks to be illegal, immoral, and highly improbable.

They can't even keep a human brain alive outside of the body. How on earth would you think that they could do this??

This whole thing is looks to be illegal, immoral, and highly improbable.

They can't even keep a human brain alive outside of the body. How on earth would you think that they could do this??

They arent keeping it alive. They are embalming it with a process that they claim will be perfect embalming to enable future scientists to read the data off the brain.

No one really knows how much storage the human brain has since we are not sure about the compression algorithm and/or/if the brain has data culling or permanent retention. There are some studies that show you may retain everything, but your brain's archival system is such that you may lack the index to look it up. If you truly retain everything, then estimates of 2.5 petabytes is within a reasonable guess. There are also some good studies that show people develop different compression algorithms and data indexing, which is why some people have much better ability to access memories while others are very bad at it. Anyway, estimates are between 100 terabytes and around 2.5 petabytes.

If you want to experience the compression, the next time you have a 'tip of the tongue' experience start reciting words. Assuming you don't mind the strange looks of the people around you, you will eventually come to the word you were looking for.

Back