A Startup Is Pitching a Mind-Uploading Service That Is “100 Percent Fatal”

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Nectome is a startup tasked with archiving the human brain and its memories: the hope is that one day, technology will advance to a point where people can be immortalized by having their thoughts and experiences uploaded to the cloud. Unfortunately, the process not only requires a $10,000 deposit, but euthanasia.

Nectome’s storage service is not yet for sale and may not be for several years. Also still lacking is evidence that memories can be found in dead tissue. But the company has found a way to test the market. Following the example of electric-vehicle maker Tesla, it is sizing up demand by inviting prospective customers to join a waiting list for a deposit of $10,000, fully refundable if you change your mind.

kzrider likes this.
  2. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardness Supreme

3. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

Didn't they show backing up the brain would require such a large amount of storage it's completely impractical?

4. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

"Refundable" deposit. Right, that's if you catch them before they cut with the money.

Surprised they didn't roll the service into a coin and say they're putting your brain into the blockchain for eternity.

Master_shake_ likes this.
  5. Spaceninja

Spaceninja [H]ard|Gawd

Most of the people I deal with on a daily basis would fit on a 4GB flash drive.

6. viivo

viivo Gawd

Americans will only be compatible with FAT file systems.

boushidosan, Wierdo, scojer and 12 others like this.
  7. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

Shit you just gave me a half decent idea. Anyone know exactly how much data a human brain has?

kzrider likes this.
  8. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

Ight so the internet's said 100tb. If I made a coin for this and gave everyone say a 6 month roi at current hardware prices it would cost roughly 9k a year to hold all the information on a block chain with quite abit of redundancy. That seams pretty reasonable do when we are able to extract the data someone link me and I'll make the coin :p

9. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Sounds like "Altered Carbon"
    Hope they don't store the data on seagate hard drives. :eek:

KazeoHin, Vercinaigh, Compddd and 4 others like this.
  10. EchtoGammut

EchtoGammut 2[H]4U

No one really knows how much storage the human brain has since we are not sure about the compression algorithm and/or/if the brain has data culling or permanent retention. There are some studies that show you may retain everything, but your brain's archival system is such that you may lack the index to look it up. If you truly retain everything, then estimates of 2.5 petabytes is within a reasonable guess. There are also some good studies that show people develop different compression algorithms and data indexing, which is why some people have much better ability to access memories while others are very bad at it. Anyway, estimates are between 100 terabytes and around 2.5 petabytes.

11. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist [H]Lite

That's giving them too much credit IMO.

mynamehere and Doward like this.
  12. focbde

focbde Limp Gawd

"Change your mind"... hahahaha...

13. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Sounds like a waste of a 4GB flash drive to me.

HardDocs likes this.
  14. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

My favorite part of this is they are taking deposits on a process that has no basis in fact (though a lot of sci-fi). If this is what immortality looks like, I'll pass. Unless it's actually me that gets to live forever I don't see the point.

DLGenesis likes this.
  15. Ranulfo

Ranulfo Gawd

Recall, where the real memories are made! I think I'd rather take my chances with a Elon Musk designed Johnny Cab during rush hour.

16. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

They need to find out how to use spare brainpower to crypto mine, that will be a money maker.

17. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

dang still seams to much mystery for something like this to be a reality.

you already can. solve some bitcoin blocks by hand. turns out the brain is really really shitty for somethings and manipulating large numbers in your head is one of those things.

18. jedijeb13

jedijeb13 Limp Gawd

Or a single sided single density 5.25" floppy :)

Want to be really scary, imagine restoring Einstein's memory doing the floppy frisbee method.

Also when I first saw the post it made me think of Futurama.

mynamehere likes this.
  19. RealBeast

RealBeast Limp Gawd

If this actually ever worked, I would use it on my dogs -- but the wife, nah just the dogs. :ROFLMAO:

dvsman likes this.
  20. hawkeye_wx

hawkeye_wx n00bie

21. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Hey I got an empty fish tank and a sawzall... I'll cut your head off for only $2500 and upload your brain to the "cloud" (aka - fish tank)

Indeed.

s640x480.jpg

dvsman, Krazy925, Compddd and 3 others like this.
  22. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

I read somewhere it's 2.5 petabytes. If this is accurate then it's expensive, but possible.

This is just the memories though. I have no idea if this figure includes all the other stuff that make us who we are.

23. Azphira

Azphira [H]ard|Gawd

24. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

we should all chip in for 10k$ and send kyle to the cloud, who's with me ?

HardDocs likes this.
  25. Chupachup

Chupachup Limp Gawd

That euthanasia clause will definitely cut down on the number of complaints and customers requesting a refund and damages!:rolleyes:

Burticus and SticKx911 like this.
  26. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

The general concept is very interesting.. I get that there's no guarantee that any of these methods will one day result in the successful preservation and revival of the human mind (and in some sense, immortality). But if we assume that we do get there one day, then those who undergo this wouldn't even feel time elapse. One day/night, they closed their eyes for the last time, then they're alive again hundreds/thousands of years later. What will life be like? Maybe mankind never achieves this goal, but an alien race comes across a cryo'd brain and spins them back up. Maybe you were better off dead at that point!

These guys must have just watched Altered Carbon. :LOL:

27. Spartacus

Spartacus [H]ard|Gawd

I don't think memories are stored in the flesh, so this probably won't work.
    I believe the brain is like a transceiver that interfaces the spirit world with the physical world.

There are mediums who communicate with people who have departed the physical existence
    and the departed ones still have their memories long after the brain was cremated and gone.

That said, it may be possible to model a living person's memories and knowledge into some
    type of cyber storage system. Once the body is dead though, I don't think that data will be
    accessible by trying to access dead brain tissue.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  28. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZ8EREs_SGdX75wLZY6Swz_Fc657vgzJNGj138JjHYR-SL6Vb5fPIyR97wOQ.jpg

29. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

and while we are adding unnecessary and unlikely steps in the prosses i belive the same thing you do except the medium is actually a copy of stalin riding a unicorn around a keyboard and that sound entices a bear to write a book that is then read by someone who doesnt understand language who then only controlls a persons tongue. then again time and sciance will eventually advance to the point we know enough to say EXACTLY how everything happens

Vercinaigh, Parja and Jim Kim like this.
  30. Spartacus

Spartacus [H]ard|Gawd

So let me guess.... your belief system is based on all of existence just being an accident right?
    Everything just came into existence by chance? No spirit world, no God, no nothing right?

We're all here to just play Xbox and jack-off and then we die and that's it right?

viscountalpha likes this.
  31. 45454asasa

45454asasa Limp Gawd

.... yes

Even if I did believe in God, mediums are total frauds.

32. Spartacus

Spartacus [H]ard|Gawd

Many of them are.
    Some are not.

33. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

i find it odd that the believed conclusion is the much more complex one. how did god come into existance? do you belive he just came into existance by chance and then decided to create another existence for the heck of it? just seams like alot of unnecessary steps.

Vercinaigh likes this.
  34. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

ftfy

BlueFireIce, Vercinaigh and Parja like this.
  35. Spartacus

Spartacus [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, existence is complex.

How did God come into existence?
    I do not know. It is said that He always existed.

And no... I can't prove any of that to you.

36. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

nothing can be proven when it comes to this and i dont think anything ever will be proven. thats why people belive strongly. you also cant disprove that "a copy of stalin riding a unicorn around a keyboard and that sound entices a bear to write a book that is then read by someone who doesnt understand language who then only controls a persons tongue" and i cant prove it either. thats why i chose to believe the absolute simplest thing that, yes we are just here for the heck of it. everything else just seams like that plus more steps. and i dont strongly belive anything, if one day god came down and proved himself or whatever i would then accept that as a truth without my life changing. but i would still accept the simplest solution. if he did prove himself to be real people might ask where did he come from did a god create god? and i would belive no unless say god's god came and proved himself. HOWEVER your original point can be disproven as we advance. if we managed to record ever bit of data from a dead brain that would invalidate your first claim.

37. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Altered Carbon anyone....

38. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment Pick your own.....you deserve it.

If you believe in God, he did give you choice...so people just make bad ones..

Red Falcon likes this.
  39. Red Falcon

Red Falcon [H]ardForum Junkie

When your brain dies, you die.
    Remember everyone, cut and paste, don't copy and paste!

dangerouseddy likes this.
  40. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

I'm dying to be immortal.

Red Falcon likes this.