A snapshot of Linux gamers just one year ago...

BulletDust

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's an interesting article from Boiling Steam based around the results of a survey they performed 12 months ago. Some very interesting points raised dispelling a number of misinformed assumptions by a number of users relating to Linux and gaming:

• There’s a healthy growth in newcomers to Linux gaming every year, about 20% of the whole Linux gamers surveyed.
  • Exclusive Linux desktop users are very likely to be/become Exclusive Linux gamers, too.
  • About 70% Linux gamers play “mostly” on Linux.
  • Experienced Linux gamers tend to clearly favor nVidia rather vs AMD.
  • About 40% of nVidia users may have high-end GPUs.
  • Hardcore Linux gamers spend a lot more time (3x more) gaming than casual gamers.
  • Linux gamer average spending is about 26 USD per month (give or take).
  • Revenues coming from Linux gamers may be in the hundred of million USD per year. I said maybe. Don’t quote me OK ?
  • SteamOS runs a lot more often on DIY Steam Machines than Branded ones.
  • Alienware is moderately more successful than any of the other Steam Machines makers.
  • Steam Machines’ opportunity may lie in the lower price range (less than 500 USD ideally).
  • Steam remains the main channel for Linux gamers to purchase games, and enjoys quite high user satisfaction.
  • About 1 Linux gamer out of 4 seems to have a Steam Controller already.
  • The Steam Link and the Steam Machines failed to find any kind of market among Linux gamers.
Grab a coffee and have a read, very interesting.

http://boilingsteam.com/a-snapshot-of-linux-gamers-just-one-year-ago/#oo

That's kindofa shame. The Steam Link is pretty snazzy.

I enjoy the heck out of my Steam Link + Steam Controller setup.

I bought a Stem Link when they went on sale during Valve's last Winter Sale. I actually have two due to an ordering mix up where I thought my first order didn't go through. Played with it for a couple of hours, haven't touched it again. The device works well, nothing wrong with it. But I don't think PC gamers are looking for lag and suboptimal image quality to play games with a controller on the couch. If that's what they want, they go buy a console.

I bought a Stem Link when they went on sale during Valve's last Winter Sale. I actually have two due to an ordering mix up where I thought my first order didn't go through. Played with it for a couple of hours, haven't touched it again. The device works well, nothing wrong with it. But I don't think PC gamers are looking for lag and suboptimal image quality to play games with a controller on the couch. If that's what they want, they go buy a console.
You're probably right, based on the survey results. Personally, I've been thinking of getting a second one. :D

I use the steam link almost exclusively for my 5 year old so he can sit in front of the tv & play star wars legos. I leave the "render vm" locked up in the server room.

Myself? I use a kb+mouse+linux most of the time or a windows box if a linux version isn't available. Played 5'ish hours of madmax yesterday without an issue on Ubuntu 16.04+nvidia 1060.

I use the steam link almost exclusively for my 5 year old so he can sit in front of the tv & play star wars legos. I leave the "render vm" locked up in the server room.

Myself? I use a kb+mouse+linux most of the time or a windows box if a linux version isn't available. Played 5'ish hours of madmax yesterday without an issue on Ubuntu 16.04+nvidia 1060.

A good way to tackle the issue of gaming while supporting a change for the better, good job /dev/null.

A good way to tackle the issue of gaming while supporting a change for the better, good job /dev/null.

I actually got the lego games working under wine (2.3) perfectly but steam big picture mode doesn't work. I get DX11 errors. Once that gets fixed, my rendervm will be linux as well instead of a windows vm under linux.

I have to admit, I've never used it.

I have not either. I honestly don't even own a TV either though.

Ironically I think the Linux avg. monthly spending is higher than the avg windows user spending. But that might be because there are fewer of us and we are mostly all enthusiasts.

Ironically I think the Linux avg. monthly spending is higher than the avg windows user spending. But that might be because there are fewer of us and we are mostly all enthusiasts.

He was guessing at that but it would seem logical considering the gap in the number of Windows vs. Linux gamers on Steam. But I'm guess was well that Windows gamers in a place like this are Steam's best customers.

He was guessing at that but it would seem logical considering the gap in the number of Windows vs. Linux gamers on Steam. But I'm guess was well that Windows gamers in a place like this are Steam's best customers.

The last time Humble Bundle statistics were released they tended to support the observation that Linux gamers in general do tend to spend more than Windows gamers. However, that was about twelve months ago now.

The last time Humble Bundle statistics were released they tended to support the observation that Linux gamers in general do tend to spend more than Windows gamers. However, that was about twelve months ago now.

If you like games, regardless of the platform, you'll spend money on it. I imagine the typical person that's into Linux gaming is probably trying to support the platform so it makes sense to me that they'd spend more than a causal Windows gamer that's just playing a few games here and there.

If you like games, regardless of the platform, you'll spend money on it. I imagine the typical person that's into Linux gaming is probably trying to support the platform so it makes sense to me that they'd spend more than a causal Windows gamer that's just playing a few games here and there.

This is true. I have purchased many times things just to support the developer. Virtually always Linux though because for better or worse I think that is where the world is going to go and I vote with my wallet.

This is true. I have purchased many times things just to support the developer. Virtually always Linux though because for better or worse I think that is where the world is going to go and I vote with my wallet.

I also like to support the developers making the effort with Linux, if it means buying games I've already bought under Windows again to play on Linux I'm supporting a good thing and I have no problem with that.

I bought very few windows games through steam, most of my windows games I ended up buying physical disks..... granted my windows usage was a few years back now and digital distribution is bigger in general now.

With Linux though there really isn't another option. Not many companies shipping Linux games on disc.

Still no doubt I buy Linux games at a higher rate then I bought windows games. That has more to do with supporting the companies that support Linux. I have bought a lot more indie games then I ever would have under Linux. Discovered some really great gaming houses as well. I know some people will suggest a lot of the Linux games are lower quality... hasn't been my experience though. Some of the smaller inde games I have picked up for Linux the last year or so are my favorite games right now. I know most of us pick up all the AAA ports when they hit for support more then anything... but some of the smaller houses that are supporting Linux are putting out some great games made with real love. They may not always push the hardware but if you consider games to be an art form, there are some real gems on Linux right now.

I bought very few windows games through steam, most of my windows games I ended up buying physical disks..... granted my windows usage was a few years back now and digital distribution is bigger in general now.

With Linux though there really isn't another option. Not many companies shipping Linux games on disc.

Still no doubt I buy Linux games at a higher rate then I bought windows games. That has more to do with supporting the companies that support Linux. I have bought a lot more indie games then I ever would have under Linux. Discovered some really great gaming houses as well. I know some people will suggest a lot of the Linux games are lower quality... hasn't been my experience though. Some of the smaller inde games I have picked up for Linux the last year or so are my favorite games right now. I know most of us pick up all the AAA ports when they hit for support more then anything... but some of the smaller houses that are supporting Linux are putting out some great games made with real love. They may not always push the hardware but if you consider games to be an art form, there are some real gems on Linux right now.

I'm the same ChadD,

I mostly used to buy physical media because internet speeds in Australia are so woeful that downloading a major title just took way too long, next thing you know games take up 9 DVD's and I may as well just have downloaded the digital copy! Thankfully it looks like internet in AU is improving...

I've also found the same thing with smaller indi titles. TBH, by the end of my time with Windows I was pretty much over so called AAA titles being released half finished with issues I'd expect in a beta release, not only that but six months into playing the servers would dry up and that $120.00 was a definite waste of hard earned $$. The last game I bought under Windows on Steam I actually returned which was a first for me, it was that bad! Although, admittedly that's got more to do with the developer than Windows, although it highlights that popular titles can quite often be over hyped. Having said that there are a number of AAA titles available under Linux.

I still find the best games are the ones that allow me to set up my own dedicated server and play with mates - However with the exception of Valve titles, that appears to be a dying art form.

It's not like all of those indie titles that are on Linux aren't there for Windows and then some. I have plenty of indie titles, especially because of VR now as there aren't a lot of big studio VR PC titles out now anyway. As for AAA titles, there are many that are good and that just don't make it to Linux. Prey is big one coming that's a Day 1 buy for me unless the review are just flat out bad.

At any rate, gaming options are as varied as ever for Windows, everything from Fruit Ninja on a touch screen to Fruit Ninja VR. It's actually a lot more fun in VR I think.

It's not like all of those indie titles that are on Linux aren't there for Windows and then some. I have plenty of indie titles, especially because of VR now as there aren't a lot of big studio VR PC titles out now anyway. As for AAA titles, there are many that are good and that just don't make it to Linux. Prey is big one coming that's a Day 1 buy for me unless the review are just flat out bad.

At any rate, gaming options are as varied as ever for Windows, everything from Fruit Ninja on a touch screen to Fruit Ninja VR. It's actually a lot more fun in VR I think.

You still don't get it.

Windows 10 has many issues and there are people that don't want any part of Microsoft products anymore and wish to move on. So claiming that 'Windows has all those indi titles and then some' is a pointless comment.

I'm glad you like Fruit Ninja under VR, but for many of us Windows is no longer an option.

You still don't get it.

Windows 10 has many issues and there are people that don't want any part of Microsoft products anymore and wish to move on. So claiming that 'Windows has all those indi titles and then some' is a pointless comment.

I'm glad you like Fruit Ninja under VR, but for many of us Windows is no longer an option.

That's fine. Whatever one's view of Windows I was simply pointing out that there's plenty of indie titles for Windows, most indie titles don't even see Linux. So it's not like Linux folks are the only ones that patronize indie PC game developers.

That's fine. Whatever one's view of Windows I was simply pointing out that there's plenty of indie titles for Windows, most indie titles don't even see Linux. So it's not like Linux folks are the only ones that patronize indie PC game developers.

We like to point out the healthy Linux indie scene because we take flake over mentioning Linux gaming. We say things like their are over 2300 Linux games on steam and in response you and others say things like... 2000 shovelware titles. lol

Yes all of those games will run under windows. Its simple if I code a game in Linux publishing it for windows is often any harder then changing a few flags and recompiling. That has nothing to do with MS and everything to do with the type of people that are open to working on Linux.

I'm glad MS is keeping you happy and you love windows. For most of us it isn't an option cause yes Heatle we will admit it we HATE microsoft, I hope they go out of business >.< Sure that isn't going to happen anytime soon but damn if I will support them or companies that only publish on them. Prey cool might be a great game I loved the first Prey... but if they plan to be Windows only they don't exist. Just as I'm am willing to bet if they where Linux only you wouldn't ever consider it either.

We like to point out the healthy Linux indie scene because we take flake over mentioning Linux gaming. We say things like their are over 2300 Linux games on steam and in response you and others say things like... 2000 shovelware titles. lol

The reason for the flak isn't that. The reason is just how little gaming support Linux gets compared to Windows. The overwhelming number of titles on Steam are from small and indie developers and overwhelmingly they support Linux much better than Windows.

Yes all of those games will run under windows. Its simple if I code a game in Linux publishing it for windows is often any harder then changing a few flags and recompiling. That has nothing to do with MS and everything to do with the type of people that are open to working on Linux.

Valve says according to the latest Steam hardware survery that Windows users outnumber Linux users on Steam by over two orders of magnitude at almost 125 to 1 at over 96% of all Steam users. Even if these numbers are off by one order of magnitude in Linux's favor, this why virtually all PC games come to Windows, not some nebulous pious reason. When it comes to support, popularity does matter.

I'm glad MS is keeping you happy and you love windows. For most of us it isn't an option cause yes Heatle we will admit it we HATE microsoft, I hope they go out of business >.< Sure that isn't going to happen anytime soon but damn if I will support them or companies that only publish on them. Prey cool might be a great game I loved the first Prey... but if they plan to be Windows only they don't exist. Just as I'm am willing to bet if they where Linux only you wouldn't ever consider it either.

It has nothing really to do with Windows, it's all about the hardware and software support. It is amazing how easily some Linux folks glance over this. But I think it's why after all these years desktop Linux hasn't gained much traction. The OS really is irrelevant when it comes to day to day use of devices and application. The OS just needs to support that stuff.

Oh yes heatle we get it you love windows. Enjoy it most of us don't care if there are 30,000 games compared to 3,000 for Linux. Keep your windows have fun. Now how did you end up in the Linux subsection.... did you install Linux on one of your machines and neglect to tell us ?

Oh yes heatle we get it you love windows. Enjoy it most of us don't care if there are 30,000 games compared to 3,000 for Linux. Keep your windows have fun. Now how did you end up in the Linux subsection.... did you install Linux on one of your machines and neglect to tell us ?

I love my VR headset a lot more than Windows. And yet again a pro-Linux desktop person that doesn't seem to get that what makes an OS relevant has little to do with the OS but what it supports.

See the difference is that if I needed to install Linux to experience VR, I'd just do that and not think anything about it. But pro-desktop Linux folks would NEVER touch Windows to experience VR.

I love my VR headset a lot more than Windows. And yet again a pro-Linux desktop person that doesn't seem to get that what makes an OS relevant has little to do with the OS but what it supports.

See the difference is that if I needed to install Linux to experience VR, I'd just do that and not think anything about it. But pro-desktop Linux folks would NEVER touch Windows to experience VR.

99+% of the Windows gamers are apparently NOT touching VR either. So what's your point?

Reactions: ChadD
like this
99+% of the Windows gamers are apparently NOT touching VR either. So what's your point?

Year to date on Steam just as many game titles have been released for VR only (which currently is Windows only except for the 4 currently showing Linux support) as there have been for all of Linux. If Linux gaming has exploded as many pro-desktop Linux folks have said, then VR is right up there and Linux is MIA for now.

I require Linux for things that actually make me MONEY... not fad toys.

As for VR if I cared about having VR right now I would buy a PS4 pro and a sony VR set. Cause for the next year or so it is the only platform I would be confident I would see games worth buying until the current generation of hardware is replaced. That is where I would go if I was worried about VR today... 2-3 years from now I am confident VR on the PC will be both more affordable and have a good variety of games shipping for Linux. So again give it up with the VR... we don't care. Deal with it.

Year to date on Steam just as many game titles have been released for VR only (which currently is Windows only except for the 4 currently showing Linux support) as there have been for all of Linux. If Linux gaming has exploded as many pro-desktop Linux folks have said, then VR is right up there and Linux is MIA for now.

You really don't absorb anything you read ever do you.

Steams Public Beta for Linux VR has been live for what 6 weeks.... dude give it up. Linux VR isn't even 2 months old. Check back when the Vive 2 launches... if you are still pointing at 4 Linux VR games I will eat my CPU.

You really don't absorb anything you read ever do you.

Steams Public Beta for Linux VR has been live for what 6 weeks.... dude give it up. Linux VR isn't even 2 months old. Check back when the Vive 2 launches... if you are still pointing at 4 Linux VR games I will eat my CPU.

My findings exactly ChadD, his incapable of absorbing anything proving negativity towards Windows and support towards Linux. Claiming it's frustrating is an understatement.

like this
I require Linux for things that actually make me MONEY... not fad toys.

Since I have to use Windows for my job your point is what?

As for VR if I cared about having VR right now I would buy a PS4 pro and a sony VR set.

And that's fine. Just not sure why pro-desktop Linux folks are all into limiting the choices of others. That's right, you don't really care about choice.

So PCVR isn't important because desktop Linux is a year behind and will never catch up. Got it!;)

My findings exactly ChadD, his incapable of absorbing anything proving negativity towards Windows and support towards Linux. Claiming it's frustrating is an understatement.

Let's see, Windows has privacy issues, configuration issues, update issues, malware issues. Nope. I get it perfectly. You guys don't simply don't accept that popularity creates ecosystems. Again, there's not a single reason to use Windows if what you say about Linux were true. It's not. Linux has its own issues, the desktop Linux community isn't interested in dealing with them at all. Just blame Microsoft. You guys have been doing for 20 years. Nothing's changed.

Let's see, Windows has privacy issues, configuration issues, update issues, malware issues. Nope. I get it perfectly. You guys don't simply don't accept that popularity creates ecosystems. Again, there's not a single reason to use Windows if what you say about Linux were true. It's not. Linux has its own issues, the desktop Linux community isn't interested in dealing with them at all. Just blame Microsoft. You guys have been doing for 20 years. Nothing's changed.

What a load of rubbish!

5 years ago I was an avid Windows user! Claiming that I've been doing it for the last 20 years like some died in the wool Linux neckbeard is just flat out crap!

What you fail to understand is that you vastly overstate the necessity of Windows - The thing you blame Linux users of doing you do yourself, and to make matters worse you do it because you honestly don't know any better as you don't use desktop Linux!

like this
So PCVR isn't important because desktop Linux is a year behind and will never catch up. Got it!;)

PCVR is supported under Linux, its been supported for about 3 months in comparison to Windows which has been supported for substantially longer than 3 very few months. Adoption is not instantaneous and both Chronos and Nvidia as well as Steam are behind the push to adopt VR under Linux, if it happens to take off, if it happens to grow I see no reason whatsoever why Linux will not be on that bandwagon.

It's crazy how you constantly bring VR up in every discussion related to Linux! VR is supported under Linux, it's well known that it's in it's infancy - Well, it appears to be well known to everyone but yourself! You seem to think that three months into VR the technology under Windows was perfect! Which is far from the truth.

You really have trouble relating to comparative time frames - It's downright bizarre.

Last edited:
You really have trouble relating to comparative time frames - It's downright bizarre.

The "lead" he supposes windows has in VR is BS. There have been 2 companies pushing it on windows with in closed store console like platforms. Yes it seems vive is now going to go ahead with Steam and the rest of the industry and support openxr. Nvidia is behind openxr and Linux... all the major game engines are also part of the OpenXR standard. Everyone keeps telling heatle that mainstream VR is 2-3 years away, and he just doesn't get it. Over the next few years multiple headset manufacturers are going to be in the game and they are going to build to the OpenXR standard... and all the major engines from Unity to Unreal will also be fully compliant. Its that round of games that is going to matter... they will be the make or break mark for PC VR, they will also all very likely all be Windows/Linux releases, seeing as they will almost for sure be shipping on steam and already be on now fully Linux compatible engines.

Anyway not sure why we bother replying anymore... we are arguing with a guy that has 2 min of 2 year old Linux experience who has wondered into the Linux subforum to tell us how terrible Linux is. lol

The "lead" he supposes windows has in VR is BS. There have been 2 companies pushing it on windows with in closed store console like platforms. Yes it seems vive is now going to go ahead with Steam and the rest of the industry and support openxr. Nvidia is behind openxr and Linux... all the major game engines are also part of the OpenXR standard. Everyone keeps telling heatle that mainstream VR is 2-3 years away, and he just doesn't get it. Over the next few years multiple headset manufacturers are going to be in the game and they are going to build to the OpenXR standard... and all the major engines from Unity to Unreal will also be fully compliant. Its that round of games that is going to matter... they will be the make or break mark for PC VR, they will also all very likely all be Windows/Linux releases, seeing as they will almost for sure be shipping on steam and already be on now fully Linux compatible engines.

Anyway not sure why we bother replying anymore... we are arguing with a guy that has 2 min of 2 year old Linux experience who has wondered into the Linux subforum to tell us how terrible Linux is. lol

I could almost justify his comments if there was obvious comprehension that he understood how that lead is a result of a long period of time vs heavy handed marketing tactics on behalf of Microsoft. But he doesn't, he just thinks adoption of everything under Linux, including desktop Linux itself should just be instantaneous, even though that was by no means the case with Windows! And yet in a PM intercepted between himself and ManOfGod they question my intelligence?!

Last edited:
like this
Since I have to use Windows for my job your point is what?

Remember how we have said many many times now heatle that your experience isn't the same as mainstream users, or developers, or web developers, or artists... ect.
VR isn't selling companies on windows I hope.

I thought we got that point across at some point and you agreed. Good great for you your company uses windows. I switch companies over to Linux for a living... I help them build internal intranet style communications and data banks ect. Well honestly good friend does most of that hes a real coder I'm not... but I have helped him overhaul his internal tools with a lot of web tech that frankly is just 1000% easier to deal with on Linux. Clearly I could care less what you company is using. I'm doing things for companies at a fraction of what it would cost them to do if they ran MS solutions... and imo and I hope the opinions of everyone I have ever done work for its not just cost savings, we provide better efficiency better reliability, and an end product that is easier for them to handle when we aren't around.

Games are a fun thing I do when I'm at home... Linux is my main OS >.< I have told you multiple times I run Windows 7 for a few games... but at the end of the day if MS forces me to windows 10 I'll just say good by to MS. Linux has been my working OS for years and that is never going to change.

Back