A small datacenter build and other projects

Dat hardware! Lot of neat stuff in this thread. And you're Portland local to boot?? Where the hell was your guys' Jr. Admin position when I was looking for work last year? :p

Thanks. I have two hundred resumes to short through. Looks like only 50 have passed the initial screening.

Thanks. I have two hundred resumes to short through. Looks like only 50 have passed the initial screening.

Oh I'm sure. I used to work at a local mom and pop hardware shop, and after the economic downturn a ton of the IT crowd I was acquainted with got cut from their positions. Made it hard to find a better job when every IT position that opened up is swarmed with resumes.

Just for curiousity's sake, what are you looking for in a candidate? What would it take to get that job in your opinion? I would love to do something like that, but there's rarely ever any opportunities around here for that kind of thing.

The Spyder the "portable" rack cases that you installed in the van and show in many photos, where can they be purchased?

Regarding /usr/home's question about what you're looking for in a candidate I'm also interested in that ;)

The Spyder the "portable" rack cases that you installed in the van and show in many photos, where can they be purchased?

Regarding /usr/home's question about what you're looking for in a candidate I'm also interested in that ;)

So far I have had a delivery driver, a Pizza franchise manager,a Fry's sales people, a waiter, and a baker apply. Along with super over qualified IT Managers, Network Admins, Web Designers and Linux admins.

Tips to have your resume automatically trashed:

The first line on your resume is "Resume.txt"
Intro line: Dear People,
No experience in IT.
"I Wasn't graduated yet"
Apply for two jobs with one resume/cover letter - separate departments
The first 10 lines include your nationality, DOB, name, email, phone, and SSN.
Listing previous non IT related jobs. IE Baker or Assembly line technician.
Change the job description to fit your skills. (Jr. Admin -> Computer Analyst)
Apply to the wrong job. (English teacher?)
Refer to yourself in the third person.
List DOS/HPUX/Windows 3.11 as your preferred OS.
"Please help me find a job/help me out."

Here is what I need right now, fairly cut and dry.
I need someone to answer helpdesk calls/tickets, to image machines, and take care of RMA's. This person would also be responsible for basic sever maintenance, checking logs/backups/ect- and help me with ongoing infrastructure upgrades. Half the resumes I have received fit none of the above. I am looking for a hard working, intelligent, and personable person. Someone who wants to try different operating systems, has played with Linix, and who is always wanting/willing to learn new things.

These resumes have really overwhelmed me. I can see why so many people are without work.

Seeing as this has brought upon another onslaught of PM's- If you are interested, apply via the website. I am not reposting it, if you can not find it, then too bad :p.

I absolutely hate to play the nepotism game, but if I don't start getting some decent candidates soon, I am going to steal a friend from another company. He fits all the requirements, except that he worships Steve Job.... Haha.

Seeing as this has brought upon another onslaught of PM's- If you are interested, apply via the website. I am not reposting it, if you can not find it, then too bad :p.

I absolutely hate to play the nepotism game, but if I don't start getting some decent candidates soon, I am going to steal a friend from another company. He fits all the requirements, except that he worships Steve Job.... Haha.

Man, I totally fit that description. I'm just in a completely different country lol.

Check out the terrible patch job the roofing company did.
26yanl.jpg

pbukBl.jpg

Just about ready to deploy...
rn8Kul.jpg

Cluster is up and processing, hit 130 later last night.
CMTx9l.jpg

One small project done, the 5515-x's are installed and half working.
EPr5ql.jpg

4JWNJl.jpg

Excellent work Spyder! your work ethic and dedication are an inspiration.

I only hope your employer is adequately compensating you... its just a matter of time before someone else notices these traits and hires you away.

Another small/big update.

Order a 3pk of Unifi Pro's
CYNuSl.jpg

Got a few IT related servers racked over in the datacenter.
BtQzYl.jpg

Had to adjust the roof fan, still pretty tidy up top.
od9xql.jpg

Ordered a MBA to use with a rechargeable bluetooth serial converter + high gain antenna.
ytKlsl.jpg

H8TZql.jpg

ICcLQl.jpg

The big part of this update is I finally swapped out the overloaded Netgears with the new HP setup. Vlans, Inter-vlan routing, ip helper-addresses, everything is setup and working. Users are happy. Speeds are much better. I did not take many pictures, but here is what I did grab.

Engine room redone.
5bC30l.jpg

AP installed.
MVhlfl.jpg

Main server room redone for now.
HGHyel.jpg

What the above replaced.
kjvbcl.jpg

Been there for years. Have 6 at my house right now. One is finished and headed back to it's owner this weekend. Hopefully I can get the other 3 wrapped up. Two are mine, but currently sitting waiting for a 20b to be finished in one and a stock rebuild for the other.

That's the one. Outside of changing it to 9600 baud, it worked out of the box. Very happy with it. I can access the main server room from my office.

Be careful if you are planning running OSPF with the 5515s and asa861-smp-k8.bin image:

"I found a matching bug :--

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugT...ls.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtt07457
It would be fixed in 8.6(1.2) .

The symptoms are :--
Connected routes go into "possibly down" state on Active ASA after failover when OSPF is configured and traffic stops.
For example:
C 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.252 is directly connected, faillink
C 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 is possibly down, routing via 0.0.0.0, inside
C 192.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 is possibly down, routing via 0.0.0.0, outside
O 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 [110/11] via 192.168.1.2, 0:00:57,
inside S* 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [1/0] via 192.0.2.2, outside

Workaround: Do not use OSPF with failover. Shut / no shut affected interfaces to populate routing table."

words cannot describe how jealous I am of your job lol

The Macbook is ok. Really ticked I did not read the vSphere downloads page before hand... Time to install a VM.

Silasbear, I am not running OSPF, but thanks!

Decided to make this week a 2-fer and replace our Admin NAS. Another 12pm night, but well worth it.

The laptops... they just won't stop coming!
tjBCkl.jpg

20 Intel 520 Series 240gb SSD's
BU0sul.jpg

More laptops.... I think I have about bought out the remaining W520's from CDW.
0CCuPl.jpg

What better to do with a $140k Flir IR camera?
J1mUxl.jpg

p93cPl.jpg

0WLevl.jpg

Switches from the network change over for factory resets and then resale.
3NLjYl.jpg

Not having very good luck today... Bad stick of Crucial DDR3.
mdpNNl.jpg

'they just won't stop coming'
If I don't stop looking at this thread, neither will I! :D

So the Unifi pro's light up Blue instead of Green, that is interesting. Do you seeing a noticeable difference between them and the normal Unifi APs?

So far users have reported faster speeds. I did have 20 devices per unit and on the 100mg line, you could tell when someone was downloading a 1gb file.

You are reselling the netgears (if they were Cisco's I would be asking about price) but what about the AP's?

Don't feel like opening a division in Quebec ? :p

I see a opening as Admin JR it's tempting but my wife just got her paper to be Canadian citizen... don't feel like going through all that **** again.

I would love to be a JR Admin and I would match what you are looking for but I'd have to start off as an 'intern' lol

Anywho, awesome thread Spyder...Whoever will get the JR Admin position will be extremely lucky to work with such a skilled Admin as yourself!

Buried in resumes.... Heeeeeeelllllppppppppppp mmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Haha. Busy time, sadly I am only getting to go through a handful at a time. My current project list is crazy. We have half a dozen new staff coming on, I am demo'ing TrueNas, planning for replacing our NAS/SAN/Vsphere cluster/Phone system, and helping production get some systems out the door.

Buried in resumes.... Heeeeeeelllllppppppppppp mmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Haha. Busy time, sadly I am only getting to go through a handful at a time. My current project list is crazy. We have half a dozen new staff coming on, I am demo'ing TrueNas, planning for replacing our NAS/SAN/Vsphere cluster/Phone system, and helping production get some systems out the door.

You need a Superman T-shirt. Seriously :)
Good stuff!!

Switches from the network change over for factory resets and then resale.
3NLjYl.jpg

How much are you selling for? I need two switches with SFP ports.

-Goose

I still need to figure out how to get these released.

Updates: Got a decibel meter.
bdqF1l.jpg

1l5sMl.jpg

0WePtl.jpg

pMihnl.jpg

xdpyBl.jpg

g5Abxl.jpg

1FVtNl.jpg

gwK53l.jpg

Still getting things patched in over at the warehouse.
EFEcsl.jpg

aamG4l.jpg

Half depth servers are a PITA to have neat cables.
5JkH4l.jpg

Made some filter covers/holders for the warehouse door intakes.
XN8Z4l.jpg

O3drwl.jpg

6frjcl.jpg

I have been over at the warehouse site far to much and found this when I returned to my office.
bB2dil.jpg

Ouch. Wonder who found the 6x SSD's and 6x 8gb Ram kits :fail:
N1aful.jpg

jgDw0l.jpg

Wahoo! Phone system eval gear.
EEUJhl.jpg

97wpil.jpg

htEdyl.jpg

UJpTil.jpg

QNTuPl.jpg

4BKa6l.jpg

A2s4ol.jpg

My admin assistant had no clue why I was ordering under cabinet LED lighting... Works great though!
kWIo7l.jpg

BsOIAl.jpg

Programmers at it again!
c0QOml.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if its been asked before but where did you get all your experience with this equipment and setting it up? Purely on the job or on the job and some schooling?

Personal: Buying old equipment, setting it up, learning basic configs. Built my own computers from 286-> up. Was one of the first watercooling a PII/Celeron when I was ~12.
Job: Building out large school networks, homes, businesses, ect.

My education was based around IT, but only in the sense that I worked for the schools I attended from age 12-20. I have no degree in IT or a related field. I have a very high mechanical aptitude and appreciation for design. Most days, this job is a blast. I was literally hooked on the job the minute they told me I got to build what I want, how I wanted, from the ground up. Most of what you see that I have created is based off design ideas I got from sites like this, lots of reading and research. Sadly I am learning some downsides of a fast growing company, but I believe in the end no matter what the experience is always worth it.

Back