A slight scare, x1900xt oh geez

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
So the other day, I decide after a rousing session of oblivion (cut short by a crash :rolleyes: ) that it is COD2 time. After a quick romp there, I quit to join another server through xfire. The second the game starts, monitor goes black and it does its little sizzle like you just clicked it off. Computer promptly reboots itself about 5 seconds later, hangs again like this when windows loads, reboots and hangs at the lanparty screen. I press my mystical reboot button and it loads fine. After another epic COD2 session, I either start to go crazy or notice little black flickers and here and there, I go and check the temps which were apparently at about low 80's. After sitting in the fetal position and browsing the internet for about an hour, I turn down the heat in the room, as before I deemed that it was indeed too god damn cold (about 60 f, it was up to around 80-85 when I turned it down finally) Thats a pretty good temperature difference, but could it have really pissed something off that badly? I later that night, beasted some oblivion and temps were at a happy 70 range.

So what in the fuck happened exactly? Everything seems dandy right now, but the whole picture going kaput is a bit unsettling. Is it possible that anything horrific could have happened to the card, ie damage? It seems to be perfectly fine now though. :confused:

probably not, I have the same issue in COD2, if I play for more than an hour with the stock fan settings then my temps go above 80 and I get corruption. So I just changed the fan speeds to try and keep it at 70c...

COD2 is the only game that does this. If it makes you feel better I was just about to go berserk when I saw the artifacts too.

can u tell me how the card runs cod2 with eye candy?

im stuck with dx7 since 9 is so demanding.

This never happens to me.. It's probably card overheating. Turn up the fan a bit and don't overclock.

Update: It died last night. :(

I dont understand why this would happen so suddenly, it was beasting strong for about a month and a half and temps were always really good. Oh well, it's getting sent back tomorrow. It will give me time to tidy up my case.

COD2 runs pretty good in DX9 on it. 1280x1024, 4xfsa 16xhqaf it pulled probably around 60+ fps average. Same settings in DX7 pulled 100+ at all times. It was mostly in DX7 because in multiplayer, stupidly high fps is nicer.

What PSU do you have by the way? It'd be educational to gather as much information as we can about your system. Perhaps heat wasn't the culprit.. :eek:

socK said:
Update: It died last night. :(

I dont understand why this would happen so suddenly, it was beasting strong for about a month and a half and temps were always really good. Oh well, it's getting sent back tomorrow. It will give me time to tidy up my case.

COD2 runs pretty good in DX9 on it. 1280x1024, 4xfsa 16xhqaf it pulled probably around 60+ fps average. Same settings in DX7 pulled 100+ at all times. It was mostly in DX7 because in multiplayer, stupidly high fps is nicer.

yea i dont like slow downs in multiplayer especially smoke and stuff.
and dx7 has now snow falling and whatever so easier to see.

Thats suddent rebooting always makes my opinion lean towards PSU problem. Could you give bit more info about your PSU.

I think its an Antec Trupower 2.0 550w or something. It wasnt so much a sudden "reboot" as it was the monitor went black, everything stayed on for a few seconds and during this time the monitor light went green to orange like it turned off. Maybe 10 seconds after it finally rebooted itself.

e: PSU looks visualy fine, no horrific scorches, burns, smells or anything. Rails and things of the such always looks great whenever I looked.

Ever got the problem fixed? I am having the same problem with a DFI board X1900xt and an antec truepower 550 2.0 ....

sluzbenik said:
probably not, I have the same issue in COD2, if I play for more than an hour with the stock fan settings then my temps go above 80 and I get corruption. So I just changed the fan speeds to try and keep it at 70c...

COD2 is the only game that does this. If it makes you feel better I was just about to go berserk when I saw the artifacts too.

I get crashes in NFSMW on my x1800xt if I have it overclocked. After about thirty minutes to an hour - like clockwork it crashes (still using stock HSF).

If I drop the clocks to stock speed, its fine. OC'ing in some games either doesn't work right or gives corruption, so i stay at stock.

Running it on a 500 watt Enermax Liberty.

I have a different issue with COD2. Even since I installed my new X1950XT 256MB i get framerates between 1-5 fps. When I set everything to their default values i get like 20fps max. What the hell is going on? My X800XT was able to get in the low 20-30 fps with everything turned on!

The card runs farcry and 3dmark just fine. I also have a Core2Duo 6300 so that isnt holding me back either. When I installed my new card I uninstalled the 6.11 drivers and installed the 6.12. I also have COD2 v1.3. Is this game incompatible with this card or something?

Back