A Simple (Hopefully) Question

Traze

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I have wireless built into my DSL Endpoint (modem), its also a basic switch. (Zoom X6)
I'd like to hook up my 2nd computer, Xbox, and PS2 in the Living room wirelessly to the internet, and the network.

Is there a single device I can get to do this? I'd like all 3 on the network, without running any wires, and at the cheapest price.

Now, I am not afraid to pay for quality, I'd just rather set up one device, cause I am lazy :p

Look for something called a "wireless ethernet bridge" and you'll find what you want. Basically, one end plugs into your existing switch/hub and sends a signal to the other end which decodes the signal and turns it back into a physical signal to which you can plug in a device (good ones you can plug back into a wired switch and go nuts). You're not going to find a wireless repeater like what you want unless you haxxor some Linksys (or other) router with DD-WRT for less than, well...a lot of money.

A client mode wireless bridge would solve the problem a bit simpler (if I've understood the desired layout properly) -- it would connect wirelessly to the main router-modem, and then share that connection with locally wired (only) clients. Because it connects like a standard client, it places no special requirement on the main wireless router/access point, and works with only one addition to the network.

Such devices appear under numerous marketing labels, from "wireless bridge" to "gaming adapter" to "wireless access point / ethernet client" (SMC SMCWEB-N), "wireless ethernet converter" (Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP) and even "wireless print server" (Netgear WGPS606).

I suggest the Buffalo.

If you want more flexibility or repeater-bridge functionality, you'd have to pay more or install and configure DD-WRT on a compatible device, as mentioned previously.

ZyXEL P330W can be configured as a client bridge, and it has 4 ethernet ports on it.

Ok, so if I bought, say, a Linksys WRT54GL, and put DD-WRT on it, that would do what I need? (With appropriate settings of course) What compatible router would you all suggest?

That Buffalo looks like it might do the trick out of the box.

And Madwand, you got the setup correct.

Thanks all so far ^^

Unless you really need the repeater functionality, you might be better off getting an off-the-shelf client bridge. It should do the job, and would be the easiest to set up, and you could even get support from the vendor for it instead of invalidating your warranty and in the worst case, risking a "bricked" product.

I suggest the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP for an off-the-shelf bridge.

The WRT54GL is a good option for DD-WRT because it's one of the easier devices to flash.

Unless you really need the repeater functionality, you might be better off getting an off-the-shelf client bridge. It should do the job, and would be the easiest to set up, and you could even get support from the vendor for it instead of invalidating your warranty and in the worst case, risking a "bricked" product.

I suggest the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP for an off-the-shelf bridge.

The WRT54GL is a good option for DD-WRT because it's one of the easier devices to flash.

What he said. Less functional than DD-WRT, but for your purposes, DD-WRT is overkill.

Back