A serious OS stuttering issue

kakureru

2[H]4U
I have no idea where to post this;
Windows 10, my entire OS completely stuttered with certain internet traffic
websites streaming etc. video audio mouse and keyboard stutters.

Latency mon points to dxkernl.sys and ndis.sys

anyone else have it this bad?

here is a short demo;

losing my hair trying all the Solved! posts around the net that are not doing me any good

intel 4790k 24GB ram 500GB HDD Asus z97-a gtx 650

if I reinstall any network device (any model wireless or wired) it resets. Problem seems to accumulate over
several hours to days (even with reboots)

Edit; gets this bad pretty fast even after reload.

and no, its not the fact i have many tabs open. :p

Last edited:
How full is your drive? How fragmented is it?

Many many things could be causing this.

Might want to pick up a mid range ssd.

Have you scanned for malware/infections? If so with what?

Have you checks the Task Manager / Resource Manager for any anomalies?

Do you have any IRQ conflicts with the network adapter? (largely a thing of the past but not 100% gone)

- Have you disabled page file... DON'T
- defragted your drive DO IT
- How is CPU usage ?
- scanned for malware ? DO IT

Nothing is over clocked hdd half full but fresh HDD does same thing, no malware, no obvious resource anomalies. No conflicts ms is reporting and option to play with them grayed out (thanks MS) DX version is 12

edit; page file enabled. same issues on fresh install nothing else on hdd, no malware, CPU looks normal, the ticker also stalls when stuttering and does not report anomalies when not stuttering.

nope, this ONLY happens with internet traffic, i could be editing raw video and have zero issues.

any adapter does it with any brand / model and driver version. But for this specific question; 12.2.1.0 Broadcomm

Important note; video and other file traffic from my nas does not have any issue and is very fast.

Sorry everyone if I seem crass, and I appriciate the input / help.
This has been plaguing me for many many many months.

any adapter does it with any brand / model and driver version. But for this specific question; 12.2.1.0 Broadcomm

Important note; video and other file traffic from my nas does not have any issue and is very fast.

Is this an onboard adapter? If its a network card, have you tried moving slots?

EDIT: Other than moving slots, do you have the chipset drivers installed for your motherboard?

Tried both. on board, PCIe wifi and Ethernet in multiple slots. Since these counts as a driver reset the issues subsides for hours to a couple days even through computer resets.

I would agree with the ones who mention harddrive in question, either it is overtaxed or there is something wrong with it.

Tried multile installs of OS acorss many HDDs, as I said, this is ONLY internet traffic and the hdd light hardly blinks, blinks ALLOT if not solid if i were editing video which does not cause OS to stutter.

Virus scanner zapped it. I have to research it to ensure it only does what it sais. Thanks for info

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully, you haven't answered all of them while I've been typing this.

According to specs you listed, you have Asus Z97-a and the onboard is an "Intel® I218V, 1 x Gigabit LAN" it would be an Intel driver, not Broadcomm.
Have you tried NIC drivers from Asus site for your motherboard NIC?
Have you tried disabling Energy Efficient under network card settings?
Have you tried disabling the onboard NIC within BIOS or are you only disabling it within Windows? I would recommend disabling it within the BIOS and using your wireless or other add-in NIC.
You said you are running Windows 10 and have multiple hard drives. I'm not sure if as a test you could install Linux OS of some sort, even if you aren't familiar with it, if possible.
When you do fresh install of Windows 10, are you installing any other applications or firewall software? If so, just run with fresh OS with no other applications, not even Chrome or any other virus software scanner.

In your video link, at 14-15 seconds, there is a Windows sound. Do you know what is causing that?

Found old post via Google that someone said they found Windows driver verifiier was runnning ("verifier.exe") and 'deleted existing settings' fixed their issue. Not sure if the built in Windows 10 verifier.exe command is running in background.

Have you tried plugging into another port on your router/switch?
Do you have another router and/or switch to try?
Do any other devices on network having similar network issues?
Have you tried testing or replacing the cable?
Have you traced the cable to make sure nothing is interfering with it, such as runs near or by a fluroscent light?

Grasping at straws, but have you tried removing the video card and try running just from the onboard video? dxkernl.sys shows to be DirectX Graphics Kernel.

Ive tried many network adapters with many versions of driver
disabled whatever power savings
disabled all onboard crap I could just shy of SATA ports.
Will not try alternate os due to being contrary to productivity even if it solved issues.
Fresh install with only web browsers and all MS updates. (it is only web traffic so if i cant surf web, issues dont surface)
Sound is coming from a chat window and has no effect on asituation
tried verifier thing, no change
its not switch though i have tried other cables switches routers etc,
problem exists only on this machine. though its my main work machine and only run 10, all others run 7 and have no issues like this
tried several cards including onchip video, still bad.
I tried searching for electrical noise and found nothing that when removed would solve issue.

Im ok with people throwing ideas out, it helps ticks boxes and maybe narrow this down.

So in that video you are streaming Idiocracy (good movie) with VLC? Not playing it from a file on your drive? I've never used it to stream video just watch movie files.
Saw some similar issues just recently with my machines, One Drive was freaking going nuts on the upload killing everything. Not sure what the hell it was even syncing. Used Gpedit.msc to turn it off and cleared it up. But it was easy to see watching the Process tab in task manager with Network usage set to priority.

The 500 GB HD, is that a mechanical or SSD?

that was a local video not a stream, it did that when i loaded the browser in the background.

mechanical hdd (again, its speed seems to have no effect over problem)

Last edited:
Have you tried plugging your keyboard and mouse into different USB ports if they are USB based or tried a mouse and keyboard from one of your other computers? I was going to ask if you've done a speed test to see if your upload speed is non-existent, but I have only seen that cause slowness and not stuttering. As soon as your tabs stopped loading in the background everything went back to normal.

yep, tried all that weirdness because i saw it could be the USB stack. Even tried PS2 ones. Speed test is arond 2Mb upload

I've seen a bad RAM stick cause stuttering like this on a friend's PC. You might try one stick at a time to see if the issue goes away.

yep, unless all my ram is bad, ive cycled through all the stick i have and same issue

Something in the browser has to be pegging your cpu. You said certain traffic. So if you play the video and open just 1 browser to a specific page it happens? Are you watching task manager when it does?

various pages do it to various degrees. if i open one or 2 pages it still stutters but gets over it fast. what you see in the video is pages stuttering other pages in a horrible cascade effect until all pages are loaded.

Could it be audio drivers? I have an occasional issue that sounds similar to your video. I go into Services -> Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, right click and select Restart. If it has any dependencies it will ask if you want to restart them also, select Yes. This is on Win7x64 but I'm guessing Win10 works similar.

Doesn't happen very often but when it does this or a reboot solves it.

You've really got a weird problem there!

Backup anything needed and try "Rest This PC" or just do a clean install would be my suggestion.

What ISP are you using?

They could be throttling you.

Changing the mic driver being enough to reset the counter.

Have you tried a second computer in the same network?

What router? Does your router have QOS? If so how is it set?

Will not try alternate os due to being contrary to productivity even if it solved issues.
Fresh install with only web browsers and all MS updates. (it is only web traffic so if i cant surf web, issues dont surface)
problem exists only on this machine. though its my main work machine and only run 10, all others run 7 and have no issues like this
I tried searching for electrical noise and found nothing that when removed would solve issue.

Im ok with people throwing ideas out, it helps ticks boxes and maybe narrow this down.

Have you tried installing Windows 7 onto it to see if it does same thing.

My only reason for trying out another OS is just to see if it isolates issue to something within Windows 10 is all. I'm not saying use Linux as your primary game/work OS, but just to try what you are seeing to duplicate issue, but do it when you have time to troubleshoot the issue and not during your work/video editing stuff. If it happens in both OSes, then it would lead me to believe it is something with motherboard or BIOS setting.

to recap, its not malware, internet throttling or sound drivers. I dont know if i have the Creator update but I do know this got REALLY bad soon after the anniversary update. The issue seems to accumulate over time after I make a change like video card and or network driver (which is why I keep trying things with those) I dont have anything nicer than my 650 but anything I try seems to do the same thing. I can see the latency build up over hours or days with latency mon and once it hits the top, the stuttering starts and or gets real bad (capacity carries over system reboots.) Did not have this issue with windows 7, well I had issus but those boiled down to browsers and I was able to resolve it by not using specific browsers.

Currently, I have swapped back to my IGPU and am watching the latency mon fill again. Yesterday it got up to half, now its up to around the 60% mark

have you disabled all the xbox dvr/game mode stuff(dxkernel)? maybe try an older nic driver(ndis).

to recap, its not malware, internet throttling or sound drivers. I dont know if i have the Creator update but I do know this got REALLY bad soon after the anniversary update. The issue seems to accumulate over time after I make a change like video card and or network driver (which is why I keep trying things with those) I dont have anything nicer than my 650 but anything I try seems to do the same thing. I can see the latency build up over hours or days with latency mon and once it hits the top, the stuttering starts and or gets real bad (capacity carries over system reboots.) Did not have this issue with windows 7, well I had issus but those boiled down to browsers and I was able to resolve it by not using specific browsers.

Currently, I have swapped back to my IGPU and am watching the latency mon fill again. Yesterday it got up to half, now its up to around the 60% mark

Have you tried telling the nic card to only operate at 10/100?

I had a situation like this where it kept wanting to operate at 1000... but due to a slight line issue it kept renegotiating cause random lockups and stuttering.

When I switched it to 10/100 it stopped trying to negotiate the 1000 and the problem went away.

Axe

P.S....
Try turning off - Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly.

Last edited:
Sounds like time for a clean OS.
he did that

Back