A router that can have 2 port 80's

2 port 80's? Port 80 is used for http traffic, and most routers support more than 2 http connections.....if that's what you mean. Maybe you mean 2 WAN connections?

If you are referring to the ability of a device to forward external port 80 to two different internal locations, such a beast does not exist. How would it determine who to feed?

Now most web servers can do virtual servers based on host name sent to it in the headers, but that's completely seperate; The router used is irrelevant.

You will either need virtual servers configured on the webserver, or two IP addresses.

You will either need virtual servers configured on the webserver, or two IP addresses.

yep, xipher hit the nail on the head. With the cisco you can config static NAT's for ease with multiple IP addresses coming over the same link, or always do dual WAN cards(but remember, two interfaces cannot share the same subnet)

I need to port 80's because i want to run exchange on 1 server and my website on the other server. i have a block of 5 ip's, cisco is not an option because i don't know cisco. Is there something else i can do?

I need to port 80's because i want to run exchange on 1 server and my website on the other server. i have a block of 5 ip's, cisco is not an option because i don't know cisco. Is there something else i can do?

Dude, that doesn't even make sense. First of all "i don't know cisco" is odd. Everything we would suggest you wouldn't know then either, otherwise you wouldn't ask this question.

And then, if you have 5 static IP addresses and you need one server for exchange and one for webserver on 2 seperate machines, with 2 seperate IP addresses, WHERE IS THE PROBLEM???

It's not that you get a seperate wire for each IP address....

No offense, but either you're not asking the right question here or you're in over your head big time....

hmmm...ok let me try again

The topo. looked like this

Bellsouth-----Netopia 3347W-----Switch-----Servers

I had used a Netopia 3347W once before but didn't do that much with it so i decided to test out security on it and it failed so the plan is to change the topo. to this

Bellsouth-----Netopia 3347W-----Router----Switch-----Servers

The servers i want to be public already have both internal and external ip's. The website comes up fine on the outside but i want owa on the exchange to show but to do that i need another port 80 because i don't want to change the port it runs on.

Make any since now?

What type of webserver do you have running the "normal" website on?

Front-end Exchange OWA host? have you tried that? (if your webserver is IIS)

What are your addresses on your machines? Were they the 5 public addresses? Or were they private addresses 10.x.x.x 192.168.x.x 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 ?

If they were private addresses then you were probably doing NAT. If you have 5 public addresses then you can use a router that supports static NAT where you define a specific (one of the 5) outside address's are associated with a specific inside address.

KaosDG
IIS 6.0 on 2003 web edition

No. I don't know how to do that but i can look into it and if it can be done on 2003 web edition.

moetop

I have a private range 10.1.10.X on a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the public range of 74.x.x.x and a subnet of 255.255.255.248

KaosDG
IIS 6.0 on 2003 web edition

No. I don't know how to do that but i can look into it and if it can be done on 2003 web edition.

moetop

I have a private range 10.1.10.X on a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the public range of 74.x.x.x and a subnet of 255.255.255.248

A server running Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, cannot be established as a domain controller, and it cannot be configured as a host for other server applications, such as Certificate Services, Microsoft Exchange Server, or Microsoft SQL Server.

Looks like you are out of luck on that, but you could still do a virtual host.

SJConsultant

Wrong that's not the problem. Yeah the ip maps work but guess what there's no firewall all ports are open at that point. Not what i want...

SJConsultant

Wrong that's not the problem. Yeah the ip maps work but guess what there's no firewall all ports are open at that point. Not what i want...

You need to be more specific about what you want, had you said that earlier, I wouldn't have wasted my time. You simply stated the Netopia failed firewall tests without telling anyone exactly what failed. We are not mind readers. :rolleyes:

You need to be more specific about what you want, had you said that earlier, I wouldn't have wasted my time. You simply stated the Netopia failed firewall tests without telling anyone exactly what failed. We are not mind readers. :rolleyes:

SJConsultant

Did you read my previous posts?

Oh this thread is going to be so helpful for amadeus if he is not going to be helpful for us.

SJConsultant

Yes I did. Nowhere in any of your statements did you say you wanted or required a hardware firewall in front of your public facing servers. You only stated vaguely that it failed some "security tests" and made a vague reference that "it's not really a firewall more like just a modem can do some nat" which isn't accurate either.

I merely posted a technote that showed how to correctly configure the Netopia for using multiple static IPs to which you retorted claiming the technote is "wrong". The technote is correct in how the Netopia operates, just because it doesn't suit your exact needs doesn't make the technote invalid.

But if you want some helpful advice you can try these:

Netopia ------ 5 port switch port 1----- Router 1
5 port switch port 2-----Router 2
etc
Configure the Netopia as per the technote giving each router its own "public" ip.

Alternate Method
Configure the Netopia router as per the technote and use the built in firewall in Windows.

Yet another alternate method.
Replace the Netopia with an ADSL modem, and use a router than CAN be configured to your liking.

Some more helpful advice: Be CLEAR about what your trying to accomplish. Making vague or unclear posts doesn't help. When someone offers advice, don't automatically assume they understand your problem and call their post wrong as you may find yourself not getting the help you want later down the road.

Easiest solution would be changing the port that is used to access OWA, but you said you did not want to change that. The only other solution I can think of, is to use host headers.

Is there some kind of limititation that another public ip can't be used? I thought you said you have 5.

Which mode is your Netopia on? There are a few different levels of firewall, clear sailing, and..hmmm..can't remember the other level.
*edit..remembered it..Silent Running*

Never seen one fail an online test in any manner that would worry me...long as you didn't DMZ a PC or punch open too many pinholes...the NAT should do all you want.

Anyways...I've not played with them..but some *nix router distro's can do "aliasing" of web ports. I believe, so a name will point to port 80 on one LAN IP address, and a different domain name will point 80 to a different LAN IP address.

SJConsultant

#1 I think we have all read them and are still confused. SJConsultant is a regular on this forum and one of the better techs here, so insulting people will get you no where. Considering the length of your initial post as well as your follow up posts you can expect many more questions.

You may find this helpfull. It would require a PC with Squid.

It looks like your nettopia does IP maps (Static NAT), but does not allow for any blocking on them. The easiest way would be to get a router that allows static NAT as well as rules based firewalling.

You could do a rather complex arrangement of Web virtual hosting, redirection, and PAT "Pinhole" with your router it looks like. (i.e. www.myexchange.com and www.webserver.com are hosted on the same machine. www.myexchange.com has a index.htm that forwards to www.myexchange.com:81. Then have a "Pinhole" (PAT) that redirected port 81 to the correct inside server ip address and port 80. This is certainly a ass backwards way of doing it, and I think you may have issues because I think OWA uses more ports than just 80.

Back