A question for my Pascal gamer friends

How many of you 1080Ti/Titan owners who planned on snagging a 3080 are considering sticking it out with your current card for the foreseeable future due to not being able to get a 3080/3090? My excitement is waning. I went from “I need this card!” to “Do I need this card?” Is it just me?

I'm still on a 1080 and it's really showing its age in newer games and VR on the Index, so I am still in the market for sure. Especially with CyberPunk coming out.

I'm sticking with my Titan it's still a great card to me and does everything I need. The ek waterblock keeps the boost pinned at all times so it performs quite well at 4K with a couple unnecessary settings reduced.

2x 1080Ti's still going strong, if I play some backlogged titles I have a very long time before I would need to upgrade :D. Seems more prudent to wait for the 20gb 3080's as well as AMD 6000 series anyways. I don't think I will miss out much even if I wait until next year. Mafia Definitive Edition is working great on the 1080Ti, Crysis Remaster is working good on the 5700 XT as well as the 1080Ti. Still kinda happy in other words.

Attachments

• MSITRX40Pro2.jpg
    MSITRX40Pro2.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 0
I had a EVGA Black 2080, sold it for $575 before ampere launch. Tonight I gave up and bought a EVGA 1080TI FTW on Facebook marketplace from a local so I could get my gaming rig up again. I’ll wait for the dust to settle on ampere. I must have spent 30 hours or more trying to get a 3080. Slave to the distill.io and discord notifications. No dice. I’ve never been so entirely defeated in my life on a purchase. I must have had a couple dozen in my cart and all got ripped out from under me. I had multiple backorders. They’ve all fallen through.

So. I’m in the same boat. Sort of. When I consider this card cost me $325 and a 3080 will cost me $800 — and the frustration/wasted time to this point. yeah, my enthusiasm has soured...

1080TI is still a beasty card. Did a stress test in 3D Mark on the used 1080TI I picked up. 99.7% stability core. That’s about as good as it gets...

I’ll bid my time and buy from a place with no tax, and $700 MSRP. Probably the Asus Tuf 3080 from Newegg or B&H.

Got a 1080ti I bought here used around 2 years ago since I was unimpressed with the 2xxx series. Was hyped to buy a 3080, even waited at the local bestbuy for 15mins before opening but now I will probably just see what AMD has. $700 is close to the max I want to spend on a part I will probably be upgrading again in 2 years.

I managed to snag a brand new 1080ti Gaming X for $400 because I sold my Nitro 5700XT and my R9 Fury just wasn't working right with the new drivers.

I planned on upgrading but got tired of the Nvidia BS and will just wait it out till stock is finally released. The wanting something new feeling has worn off.

Last edited:
I've given up on finding stock right now. I'm rocking an overclocked RTX 2080 Ti with a waterblock on it. I'm not hurting. I want to upgrade but I can wait for this availability nightmare to ease up.

How many of you 1080Ti/Titan owners who planned on snagging a 3080 are considering sticking it out with your current card for the foreseeable future due to not being able to get a 3080/3090? My excitement is waning. I went from “I need this card!” to “Do I need this card?” Is it just me?
In exactly this boat. My 1080Ti plays 99% of my stuff just great on ultra at 1440p 80fps+ (& usually more). If Nvidia had stock at release I would have bought one immediately. Now that I have time to reflect on the purchase, I'm thinking of passing entirely & waiting until the next gen. However if I can get a 3080 for $630+ tax (best buy birthday coupon) I might do it. Otherwise I'm going to wait until the 1080Ti seems insufficient.

Feel the same way. I also recently got a new monitor so I was really excited to get a new GPU. Since acquiring one has been difficult and my titan xp handles what I play just fine, I'm no longer in a rush to get one. I'll see what AMD has to offer and weigh it against the 20gb 3080 when they become easier to buy.

Former GTX 1080 FE owner here who was lucky enough to snag an RTX 3090 FE on Nvidia’s site one week after they launched, then Fed Ex lost the package and took a week for it to arrive.

I’ve only had it for a week now but, going from a 1080 on a 4K monitor, it was a noticeable improvement and worth the effort to snag one. RDR2 pretty much maxed out at 4K is beautiful and smooth. Before, I was playing at 2K with mostly medium to high to get playable frame rates.

I was also surprised at how much the image quality improved on my Valve Index, Steam VR is cranking up the scaling and it’s made a noticeable difference in the detail. As for those with Ti’s and Titans, I can’t really say if it would be worth the same effort or not.

The heat sink and fan setup is an improvement too. Much quieter than the blower on 1080 FE and it doesn’t get as hot. I haven’t seen the GPU go above 69c on the new card in heavy load with stock clocks and stock fan profile. On my old card, it wasn’t uncommon to be in the mid to upper 70s, even touching around the 80c mark, and that was with a more aggressive fan profile and a slight over clock. Both were used in fairly small cases (Corsair 250d for the 1080, Fractal Design Node 804 for the 3090). If I adjust the fan profile a bit, I can probably get those temps to go down more and still have a fairly quiet card.

The downside to the quieter fan setup (and more power being consumed) is that coil whine can be heard with certain games.

I'm on a EVGA AIO 1070Ti, and it has been great for me, but it's definitely dragging a bit in newer titles. I'm moving on up.. to the East side.. to a deluxe GPU in the sky-i-i-i.

If I was on 4K, I probably would not have erected this thread as I'm sure my 1080Ti would be hurting. At 1440p though, this low/no stock situation is just an annoying inconvenience... 1st world problems I know...

I know everyone's waiting for Cyberpunk right now. I don't know anything about that game except that it has tons of hype around it, so i'll probably get it for that reason alone. Hopefully along with a 20GB 3080 if the rumors pan out.

I'm not a pascal owner, but I went from " I don't need it but I want it for kicks" to " I don't give a damn"

My 1080ti still is running everything great at 1440p. I'm waiting to see how Cyberpunk runs and what AMD has to offer.

If it plays cyberpunk fine (which I expect it will, since there are still only a handful of faster cards on the market.) then I will just keep running it into the ground.

Back