A question for 213T and/or VP201 owners

swinchen

Weaksauce
I just got my VP201 today and have noticed that on a black background the backlight shines through very bright on the top right corner, and sort of lights up a good portion of the screen.

Also, I have noticed the dreaded screen door effect. I wouldnt send this monitor back just because of the screen door effect, but if the 213T doesn't suffer from it as much then the combination of that and the backlight would.

Please give me your input.

Thanks,

Sam

I have a 201 and the upper right corner does seep light in more buts its not very noticeable.

Screendoor effect I really havent noticed much but the LCD sure does blur alot in games, same for a DEll 2001fp I tried on teh same games.

GreenX said:
I have a 201 and the upper right corner does seep light in more buts its not very noticeable.

Mine seems quite noticeable. Here is how I test it: Turn background to black, and turn out all the lights in the room... the screen sort of has a gradient of light from the top right corner. Maybe it is defective?

I would like to know if the 213T suffers from the same problem?

You could probably go through a dozen monitors to find on with no light leakage. Some are much worse then others. I really don’t think the “perfect” unit exists.

I have a very slight light leak on my Samsung 213T but even on black screens with no light in the room (a very unusual condition) it’s not in the least distracting. I do a fair amount of work in Photo Shop, doesn’t bother me there either.

My Dell had screen door that was unacceptable for any kind of use and they were aware of this as a problem and took it back.

I have a total of four LCD screens I use for various things, two Envision and two Samsung. None of these monitors exhibit any sort of screen door effect at any viewing distance.

I won’t try to tell you the 213T is perfect but I love mine and from the comments here on this forum it would seem most owners are pretty happy with theirs.

Luck

BillR said:
You could probably go through a dozen monitors to find on with no light leakage. Some are much worse then others. I really don’t think the “perfect” unit exists.

I have a very slight light leak on my Samsung 213T but even on black screens with no light in the room (a very unusual condition) it’s not in the least distracting. I do a fair amount of work in Photo Shop, doesn’t bother me there either.

My Dell had screen door that was unacceptable for any kind of use and they were aware of this as a problem and took it back.

I have a total of four LCD screens I use for various things, two Envision and two Samsung. None of these monitors exhibit any sort of screen door effect at any viewing distance.

I won’t try to tell you the 213T is perfect but I love mine and from the comments here on this forum it would seem most owners are pretty happy with theirs.

Luck

Hmm well this light leakage is very distracting. To the point that I wonder if the monitor is faulty. And the screen door effect is really quite noticeable.

I am just trying to figure out if I want to go through the hassle (and cost) of sending back to buy.com and order the 213T I imagine it would cost atleast $20 bucks to send it back.

*hrmph* I hate when I have two things to choose between and then pick the wrong one. hehe.

I think if your doing and exchange they might just send you a pickup ticket for your old one. They are actually pretty easy to deal with on most stuff.

Give it a shot.

Luck

just got my vp201s from zipzoomfly today and this thing is awesome.

using dvi on a 9800 pro

zero dead pixels and I honestly see no light leakage.
I turn off all the lights and set my screensaver to blank then hit preview. I see no light leakage, of course if I look at the monitor from some extreme angle >170 degrees I start to see the leakage. I also don't see the screen door effect at all. 880 shipped well spent.

rickten said:
just got my vp201s from zipzoomfly today and this thing is awesome.

using dvi on a 9800 pro

zero dead pixels and I honestly see no light leakage.
I turn off all the lights and set my screensaver to blank then hit preview. I see no light leakage, of course if I look at the monitor from some extreme angle >170 degrees I start to see the leakage. I also don't see the screen door effect at all. 880 shipped well spent.

Well hold on.... Isn't the screen door effect the same on all LCDs of the same model? For example the screen door effect on your VP201 should be the same as the screen door effect on my VP201? I can see that light leakage might vary.

BillR said:
I think if your doing and exchange they might just send you a pickup ticket for your old one. They are actually pretty easy to deal with on most stuff.

Give it a shot.

Luck

Eeek, I can't even find an email address to email them at!

-edit-
ummm nevermind... just had to click on a help topic and it said "if this didnt help email us"

swinchen said:
Well hold on.... Isn't the screen door effect the same on all LCDs of the same model? For example the screen door effect on your VP201 should be the same as the screen door effect on my VP201? I can see that light leakage might vary.

The fact is, no it’s not. Go way back and look at the tons of 2001FP reviews, some had it some didn’t. Many had it on only part of the screen and some didn’t have it but ended up with it.

Much of the effect is not the panel but the driver boards that make the panel work.

Luck

BillR said:
The fact is, no it’s not. Go way back and look at the tons of 2001FP reviews, some had it some didn’t. Many had it on only part of the screen and some didn’t have it but ended up with it.

Much of the effect is not the panel but the driver boards that make the panel work.

Luck

Well forget that then! I will go back to CRT. What happens if I exchange this for a 213T and that has screen door effect? So far the screen door effect is the most visually disturbing problem with this monitor so far. The blue bar that goes across the ICQLite window looks striped..

I would be upset if I got another monitor with a similar effect.

swinchen said:
Well forget that then! I will go back to CRT. What happens if I exchange this for a 213T and that has screen door effect? So far the screen door effect is the most visually disturbing problem with this monitor so far. The blue bar that goes across the ICQLite window looks striped..

I would be upset if I got another monitor with a similar effect.

And the gray panels next to each message has the screen door effect very strong.

I have yet to hear one complaint about a 213T with screen door effect. First monitor that I bought that ever had it was the Dell.

Luck

BillR said:
I have yet to hear one complaint about a 213T with screen door effect. First monitor that I bought that ever had it was the Dell.

Luck

So that only leaves the backlight issue, and the dead pixel thing. Although I have to say I found a dead pixel on the VP201 and unless you really look for it you can't see it.

So for the sake of argument lets say the 213T doesn't have the screen door effect and I don't care if I have a dead pixel or whatever.... I guess it all depends on how even the backlight is...

I wonder if I can get them to turn off all the lights at circuit city =P

Back