A quality made powersuply with Japanes capacitors?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Need recommendations... My Antec SmartPower blew up today... taking motherboard with it :mad:

I need as many options as you guys can provide, quality made PSUs with Jap capacitors.

Thanks.

Many of the better PSUs out there use Japanese capacitors. Some more info is necessary before a recommendation can be made, like your budget, any planned upgrades, etc.

At the moment i have a q6600 @ 3GHz, 4GB Crucial @ 1000Hz, hd4850 700-1000, 4HDDs and a 45W pump... sound card with bay, and some other small stuff, also 7 120mm fans.

Since today my old PSU died and took mobo with it... :( still got fingers crossed that it is only a mobo... I want to buy a top quality PSU with top quality components/capacitors and outstanding build.

price range up to 200$

Antec signature series 650 looks good to me right now...

PC Power & Cooling is tops out there. Also look at the abs brand.

Both Corsair and PC Power & Cooling are tops. It's all a matter of your budget and if you need alot of wattage for future proofing.

IMO PC Power & Cooling is the only brand to buy.

That's what i was thinking... but do they have a dual fan design? mainly a dual horizontal design cuz i have a p180 and in a botom chamber horizontal fans looks/works better.

At the moment i have a q6600 @ 3GHz, 4GB Crucial @ 1000Hz, hd4850 700-1000, 4HDDs and a 45W pump... sound card with bay, and some other small stuff, also 7 120mm fans.

Since today my old PSU died and took mobo with it... :( still got fingers crossed that it is only a mobo... I want to buy a top quality PSU with top quality components/capacitors and outstanding build.

price range up to 200$

Antec signature series 650 looks good to me right now...

so basically it is the one in your signature? I say corsair, silverstone, antec and thermaltake in that order.. Of course noise is a dealbreaker too... OCZ/PC&C Powercool

Can I ask a question? What's the big deal with "japanese capacitors?" I mean, is it because they're from japan they're just naturally better than something from korea? Is there something special about japanese land or what is it?

I was wondering the same thing. I know Nippon Chemicon makes nice caps. I am just wondering if there are other capacitor manufacturers that also make equal quality products?

On subject: I think Corsairs have Nippon Chemicon, as does Ximatek (maybe? no?) and I think Antec Signature series does too. Actually, just go to the HardOCP reviews and JonnyGuru reviews and I think you can find a number of them.

Can I ask a question? What's the big deal with "japanese capacitors?" I mean, is it because they're from japan they're just naturally better than something from korea? Is there something special about japanese land or what is it?

From what I know, Japanese electronics companies simply manufacture higher-quality items than elsewhere. They just have higher standards, I guess.

Have we already forgotten the stolen P50 formula issue that came about from the Chinese capacitor knockoffs that lead to the whole motherboard capacitor failure epidemic?

Beyond that Chinese capacitors are typically held to lower standards, make up the vast majority of knockoffs, and in the past (and present to some extent) had inferior electrical properties and manufacturing process.

I was wondering the same thing. I know Nippon Chemicon makes nice caps. I am just wondering if there are other capacitor manufacturers that also make equal quality products?

NCC/UCC, Hitachi, Matushita, Rubycon are the big mass producing top of the line. There are other Japanese companies like Toshin but they are not as large of a presence.

Have we already forgotten the stolen P50 formula issue that came about from the Chinese capacitor knockoffs that lead to the whole motherboard capacitor failure epidemic?

Beyond that Chinese capacitors are typically held to lower standards, make up the vast majority of knockoffs, and in the past (and present to some extent) had inferior electrical properties and manufacturing process.

NCC/UCC, Hitachi, Matushita, Rubycon are the big mass producing top of the line. There are other Japanese companies like Toshin but they are not as large of a presence.

That was all of 5 to 7ish years ago, many here simply are not old enough to remember the Snap and Pop caps that were part and parcel with so many older motherboards.;)

I'd say go with the Antec Sig 650. It's within your budget and i don't think there's anything better than it. It's reviewed both on jonnyguru and hardwaresecrets received stellar scores.

Here's a part of the review from the jonnyguru.

And what was I seeing, you ask? How about ripple and noise below 16mV on all rails. I'm not talking about just the three main rails, I'm talking all of them. Even the -12V; which is usually noisy as hell, being an "afterthought" rail. It's Monday and I'm in love, L-U-V. Yes, I definitely know how I'm scoring this.

Back