A Proper Vacuum Cleaner for PC's

NoEcho

2[H]4U
Doing a bunch of field work on PC's these days. Dust builds up. I'm hoping to hear from people that have discovered a field capable, significant draw vacuum cleaner for use on PC's.

Dustbuster? Seriously... any handheld rechargable should do just fine, especially if you can get a brush attachment. *shrug*

-Nate

Instead of using a vacuum, use compressed air. Using a vacuum with a brush attachment will only build up static. I've worked as a field tech and was never without 3 or 4 cans of air. That's the only way to go

difference between vacuum and compressed air is the fact that you can actually remove the dust or whatever that's building up instead of blowing it around.

Those vacuum cleaners are also re-usable unless you invest in a air compresser which will still do a half ass job.

It's your choice. I would go for both an air can AND the vacuum cleaner .. that would probably do the best job.

Most vaccums aren't strong enough to get into HSFs and generally leave a lot of dust behind. The best method is to use compressed air. Bring the thing outside and blow it out.

I have one of those electric air pumps for filling an inflatable bed, that thing moves quite a bit of air. I'm going to try it next time my pc needs to be blown out. It only cost $17 bucks at Wal-Mart so if it works, it will save major $$$ on those cans of compressed air.

S1nF1xx said:
Most vaccums aren't strong enough to get into HSFs and generally leave a lot of dust behind. The best method is to use compressed air. Bring the thing outside and blow it out.

I have one of those electric air pumps for filling an inflatable bed, that thing moves quite a bit of air. I'm going to try it next time my pc needs to be blown out. It only cost $17 bucks at Wal-Mart so if it works, it will save major $$$ on those cans of compressed air.

the vacuum cleaners we're talkin about aren't your average vacuum cleaners ... did you look at the price ?

They do their job well and have filters that hold the dust perfectly well ... they're not comparable to household vacuum cleaners.

A garage-type air compressor with an air blower attachment does the best and fastest job.

Just be sure to hold the fans still while blowing them out.

Badger_sly said:
A garage-type air compressor with an air blower attachment does the best and fastest job.

I'd worry about moisture from the compressor.

How do these fancy vacums manage ESD?

well i don't know how well they handle ESD .. but what I like about it is the fact that it can act as both vacuum cleaner and blower .. i guess i missed that part about it. The filters are pretty good too.

You just plug it from the other side and you have a blower.

No dirty thoughts please. :D

That is crazy, you can get an air compressor with a water trap for around that price. :eek:

I would assume you're talking about office use for that kind of vaccum, so the price could be justified by saying "I'm not paying for it". :p But that would be a little overboard for home use IMO.

mikeblas said:
I'd worry about moisture from the compressor.

How do these fancy vacums manage ESD?
Its easy. Most decent air compressors now have a water trap. And if they dont, you can buy them seperately so that there is no mist being sprayed around. Air compressors work like a charm and clean out PSUs (and everything else) to like new.

Rune75 said:
Its easy. Most decent air compressors now have a water trap..

... which will reduce the moisture, but not eliminate it.

mikeblas said:
A couple of these in series should do just fine, dont ya think?

HUSKY
1/4 In. Air Compressor Filter
Model HDA70400AV

1/4 In. air compressor filter to help keep your air compressor maintained.

• Removes unwanted dirt particles and condensed water to extend tool life.
• 5-micron element.
• Screw on bowl with manual drain.
• 1/4" NPT (Female) ports.
• 21 SCFM flow capacity @ 90 PSI.

12bux at Home Depot

mikeblas said:
friend of mine...tool and cutter grinder has to have LOTS of DRY compressed air as most of his machines have air bearings, so we fitted an automotive ac condensor to the output of the compressor before the check valve with a couple of fans on it.......very dry air.....

i am looking to get something to clean the dirt inside old computer cases.

i used to have before an electrical blower that turns the dirty case into brand new one and i dont remember it caused me any problems, now i am thinking to buy a new one and maybe battery powered one, so do you guys know about any particualr model?

spending $150+ on special vacum cleaner to clean pc case inside sounds crazy to me, unless the client insists to clean the parts indoors, then i will ask $50 for cleaning only. Jesus :eek:

Blowing the dust off this old thread to see if there's been any new equipment put out that fits the bill.

hahah, i used a 3hp wet/dry vac to clean my brother's old dusty computer
ended up sucking the fan right off the GPU heatsink :D :D

i removed the fan screw base for the pic, but you get the idea :p

roflol. theres still dust on the card.

i personally use a kirby ultimate g diamond edition. cost 1,500 bucks. :eek:

Back