A probably unlocked Ivy Bridge-EP chip

quickz

Limp Gawd
Here is a hwinfo64 & cpu-z snapshot for the suspicious chip:

http://img02.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i2/895640489/T2EVNvXupXXXXXXXXX_!!895640489.jpg

It shows that the QDF code is QD77/QE83, with a max turbo multiplier of 57x (!), and the codename is Ivy Bridge-EP (-EP means this is a 2p chip).
So I think it's probably an unlocked 2P E5 v2 chip. This is interesting since NO unlocked 2P E5 chips (ES or retail version) has been found before.
Any thoughts?

Uh oh. Better start saving my pennies, just on case this hits retail. It could just be some sort of engineering sample that wasn't supposed to see thight of day....or it could be the perfect compliment to the enthusiast dual 2011 boards. That would be exciting.

What's the source of this info?

But only 6 cores? Unlocked multi is probably too good to be true though.

i have seen that one flying around in taobao, its counterparts with 10 cores appear to be around 11~12,000 rmb, you can get a 3970x ES for about 2,000 rmb, so unless you can find it for 4,000 i feel there's no point to it.

i have seen that one flying around in taobao, its counterparts with 10 cores appear to be around 11~12,000 rmb, you can get a 3970x ES for about 2,000 rmb, so unless you can find it for 4,000 i feel there's no point to it.

you can't use a 3970x with another 3970x though. there is a premium for all that power.

well i mean you can get a lot of 10 cores E5 for around 600~800rmbs if you shop around but most of them are 2.0ghz and 2.7 turbo. Now I don't know about the scaling of these cpus for distributed computing but for that price they seem pretty good.

Are these (the 10 core 2ghz) worth anything? I was actually thinking of getting into folding, because i got an offer of a Z9PE-D8 WS and two E5 2665ES(8 cores) for around 4500rmb (around 750 USD), although i guess for gaming they are not very useful.

If anyone is still interested or wants more info on those, send me a PM i can ask around, helps me to practice my chinese.

I think they're useful, lower power consumption and still a decent PPD (and TPF) for the price. For BOINC, an E5 2650L at around 2GHz isn't that much slower than a 3930K at 3.4GHz. Not enough to warrant spending more on a faster E5 at least.

Hello Nexvid, the price of the chips is another question. :)
The main purpose of this thread is to confirm if QD77/QE83 is really unlocked and supporting 2P. So we can wait for 8C and 12C unlocked chips if that is the truth, which would be very powerful.

well i mean you can get a lot of 10 cores E5 for around 600~800rmbs if you shop around but most of them are 2.0ghz and 2.7 turbo. Now I don't know about the scaling of these cpus for distributed computing but for that price they seem pretty good.

Are these (the 10 core 2ghz) worth anything? I was actually thinking of getting into folding, because i got an offer of a Z9PE-D8 WS and two E5 2665ES(8 cores) for around 4500rmb (around 750 USD), although i guess for gaming they are not very useful.

If anyone is still interested or wants more info on those, send me a PM i can ask around, helps me to practice my chinese.

if there is any way to verify the cpus and motherboard work, I would be interested in that deal.

those cpus would be similar to a 2600, which is perfectly fine for gaming

That is all wrong. The amount of cache, cores etc is all bogus for a 2687w v2.

Its 8 cores with 25 MB cache, 150w TDP.

At least they coud have photoshopped a new CPU with a different number. I would love a "k" 8 or 10 core.

This chip is not an E5-2687w v2. The CPU Name reported by CPU-z is usually bogus for ES chips, and we should just ignore it here.

Back