A Picture I Took 2018 - 2019

Dust and lightning storm tonight. Sky Harbor Airport

2_smallLogo.jpg

1_smallLogo.jpg

3_smallLogo.jpg

Yeah, the third one I struggled editing. It’s not quite right.

The pattern noise in the sky pops out to me; could probably smooth it out carefully to preserve the light-stars and lightning if that's something you care about.

I try not to crop and reduce the quality.

If you're shooting on a 20+MP camera, I wouldn't worry about it. Even then I would say for "optimal quality" for print, only 12MP total is necessary (which is basically cameras from the late 2000s. 1Ds II, 1D III, etc, ancient stuff).

Yeah, and the intended viewing distance also matters on large prints. Very few people are going to put their nose right next to a large print and carefully examine it. I think it was FStoppers that did a video that showed billboards were commonly printed at something like 2 megapixels?

So long as the lens isn't out of calibration, focus confirm should be just as accurate as AF is, and that's certainly a great shot with some classic glass!

I could've sworn the AF fine-tune system in my previous full-frame Nikons could be calibrated with AI-S lenses, but that doesn't seem to be the case on my D850. But fortunately, it seems to be within spec without any fine-tuning from me (as do all of the other prime lenses I've tried so far.)

Also just picked up a Lens Turbo II for use on my X-T2, so I'll be trying out my 105mm f/2.5 on that camera too.

Not bad. Single shot or multile 30sec exposures?

edit. nvm, lol. Just clicked on the image and answered my own question. (y)

Last edited:
^^Like that Fuji. Wonder what the new Nikon is gonna bring to the table, but the rumors are promising, especially that 58/0.95 if true. Won't be getting it, but the idea of having one is intriguing, lol

Anyway...

i-JcJ7pNh-X2.jpg

If Nikon rolls a mirrorless camera that could keep up with the D850, well...

...if adapters are developed that could take Canon lenses with full support?

Canon better hurry up.

I'm not sure but Sony may be holding the A7S III to drop once the Nikon and Canon mirrorless go live. If both don't knock it out of the park, they may get one-upped by Sony right after release.

I'm not sure but Sony may be holding the A7S III to drop once the Nikon and Canon mirrorless go live. If both don't knock it out of the park, they may get one-upped by Sony right after release.

Hopefully Sony has something special for the A7S III. It's such a limited market, and their video AF tracking is still inferior, that they'd have to make a few pretty big leaps to make it an attractive camera that will move units above and over their current offerings, most especially what would be the now cheaper A7S II.

[idle speculation: they could up the resolution of the sensor to provide sharper results by using multiple Bayer pixel for each output pixel; they could use the A9's stacked sensor tech to eliminate rolling shutter for fast tracking/panning; they could up the internal storage capabilities to multiple XQD slots for high-speed high-bitrate (even RAW!) mirrored recording...]

IIRC the A7S series has always been about hi res stills. The A7R series I think is the one they target to video peeps.

Personally, I think Canon must be doing something right RE: video, as enough people on YouTube / Vimeo have been perfectly happy with the Canon 5D mark 3 (and I assume 4 and whatever newer updates).

IIRC the A7S series has always been about hi res stills. The A7R series I think is the one they target to video peeps.

I'd recommend looking them up- you had me confused because you had it backward :).

[The A7R III is the current high-res camera at 42MP, while the A7S II is the current video camera, still at 12MP]

I'm no professional but I pretend to be with my potato.

We did a little 'hiking' on our camping trip to Parfrey's Glen.

29090499557_b9477ec310_c.jpg

Hang in there

30159366318_3b3bed5363_c.jpg

My waterfall picture

29090489047_aa0bccf717_c.jpg

I'm not a fan of vertical pictures but wanted to try showing the depth of the gorge. Obviously not the biggest around but was a cool place that is relatively hidden.

43098974825_40e9fbe855_c.jpg

Our endpoint. The older people in the group wanted to turn around here. Our group is the ones standing, the picture was taken shortly after getting there. Ages 4 - 54
29090467607_3eff7da4f6_c.jpg

Washed out but shows where the trail continued on the left.
42218554660_f44802d53f_c.jpg

Hopefully Sony has something special for the A7S III. It's such a limited market, and their video AF tracking is still inferior, that they'd have to make a few pretty big leaps to make it an attractive camera that will move units above and over their current offerings, most especially what would be the now cheaper A7S II.

[idle speculation: they could up the resolution of the sensor to provide sharper results by using multiple Bayer pixel for each output pixel; they could use the A9's stacked sensor tech to eliminate rolling shutter for fast tracking/panning; they could up the internal storage capabilities to multiple XQD slots for high-speed high-bitrate (even RAW!) mirrored recording...]

I think the only things Sony can do to really make the A7SIII better or to leapfrog the A7III is by doing things like upping the bitrate.
The A7SII already does full frame 4k at the best resolutions (it's the only one that can use the full frame and not look bad while doing it, A7III works better/looks better in cropped mode for 4k). If they made it 10bit (finally) or at least 4-2-2 internal that would help it a lot. The problem that Sony has is that the FS5 II only does 8-bit internal and it already costs double what the A7SIII will cost. Not sure if they're willing to cannibalize their own sales.

I think the only things Sony can do to really make the A7SIII better or to leapfrog the A7III is by doing things like upping the bitrate.
The A7SII already does full frame 4k at the best resolutions (it's the only one that can use the full frame and not look bad while doing it, A7III works better/looks better in cropped mode for 4k). If they made it 10bit (finally) or at least 4-2-2 internal that would help it a lot. The problem that Sony has is that the FS5 II only does 8-bit internal and it already costs double what the A7SIII will cost. Not sure if they're willing to cannibalize their own sales.
I think you might be confusing the a7III with the a7RIII. The a7III produces ff 4k video that's a hair nicer than the a7SII and quite a bit better than the a7RIII - no crop mode needed.

I think you might be confusing the a7III with the a7RIII. The a7III produces ff 4k video that's a hair nicer than the a7SII and quite a bit better than the a7RIII - no crop mode needed.

I wasn't confused, but I didn't think about it correctly. You're right about the full sensor readout in 4k using 6k to downsample to 4k in the A7III.

Back