A Picture I Took 2018 - 2019

Not bad at all! Could you see it with the naked eye? Not sure how dark it gets there.

Not like the photo! There's some light coming from Springdale, which is why the canyon wall is lit up, but it basically looked like faint clouds to the naked eye. It didn't help that my eyes kept adjusting to the camera screen! I got up at 3:30AM for the shot and I only stayed out long enough to take a few snaps and then head back to bed. It was also a new moon.

Very nice! Makes me miss driving out to the outskirts of Casper, Wyoming, where I could actually see the sky at night.

First samples from this weekend:

i-V7MkthS-XL.jpg

i-LMT52SG-XL.jpg

i-sds5kj7-XL.jpg

Sunrises are so much harder than sunsets! Especially when you're not a morning person (like me) - and you can't see the sky either, so you don't know what you're going to get. Instead you have to make the effort and hope for the best.

I got up at 3 AM to go to Sylvan Lake (though I probably could've slept another hour to be honest)

41910528571_1f3b132f52_b.jpg
A Calm Sunrise
by David Gevert, on Flickr

And the rest from that weekend:

i-FJZLw6x-XL.jpg

i-v7v6V3S-XL.jpg

i-SqpR4Ns-XL.jpg

i-ntGDbhk-XL.jpg

i-BLrGSPD-XL.jpg

2 MUA's took 3 hr to paint this:

i-7wbBXnp-XL.jpg

i-pf4wczX-XL.jpg

i-TCbKB7d-XL.jpg

i-rBbvzpz-XL.jpg

Far more impressive in person.

I kinda feel like I overdid it with the blue gel, but... at least the shots look a little different :)

Time to edit something else :sneaky:

It's my first time posting here...be gentle. ;)
I have been taking photos at the local autocross races and I just happened to like this one I took and wanted to share it.
The ISO is set way too high on my camera for the day. Something I am going to correct for the next time.

IMG_0127-2.jpg

i-CgC7QtX-XL.jpg

i-CZMxwJV-XL.jpg

i-q7w8cpt-XL.jpg

i-PHGhBMm-XL.jpg

i-f2c2GbT-XL.jpg

i-LSdNXTF-XL.jpg

i-7MCNKRw-XL.jpg

i-Pqmr7wJ-XL.jpg

That's it for me. Next week I'll be shooting my first real wedding, and then taking couple months off. I might return to portrait work in August at the earliest, but I feel like I need to recharge my own personal batteries first. Looking forward to everyone else's work!!! Keep them coming guys!

It's my first time posting here...be gentle. ;)
I have been taking photos at the local autocross races and I just happened to like this one I took and wanted to share it.
The ISO is set way too high on my camera for the day. Something I am going to correct for the next time.
AutoX FTW! What do you drive?

Last night was super frustrating (or maybe I should say this morning was, heh) - I went out to the Badlands to do some more astrophotography, and came back without a single usable milky way shot. I didn't plan it out properly and struggled with finding compositions (for one, I misinterpreted where the milky way would be with the app I use.) I'm also pretty sure my 14-24 is decentered. I tried a bunch of different things and nothing came out. To make matters worse, I had an awesome post-sunset glow on the clouds that I photographed to put a panorama together...and I come back, and they're all misfocused. I did nab one sunset shot that I'm happy with, but when you stay out super late (on a work night no less) and come back with nothing useable, that's tough. Oh well...we learn from failures, and this was a useful learning experience!

28279826558_deecfd3239_b.jpg
Badlands Sunset

SCORE! I ventured out to get ahead of a (rather severe) thunderstorm headed towards the Badlands this afternoon, and finally got lightning in a dramatic landscape photo. The Miops trigger DEFINITELY picks up lightning just fine. Sadly, a lot of the distinct bolts of lightning only started happening once I was in the middle of the storm, when it was time to get out and get safe...

I have a really dramatic B&W image to post tomorrow as well.

41461943304_0ce2130f35_b.jpg
Thunderstorms over the Badlands

Glad you like it, if you want a custom aspect ratio crop just let me know, the one I posted was already cropped from the raw :)
Ya, a 3440x1440 cropped similar to the way I cropped it on my post would be awesome.

love the b&w treatment especially for the ground

Ya, a 3440x1440 cropped similar to the way I cropped it on my post would be awesome.

I've tried to downscale it and crop it as close to your monitor's rez as possible, I've removed the watermark also...enjoy :)

_DSC9974.jpg

and here is another pic from the airshow

_DSC1055.jpg

Playing around I rather like the bw version of my earlier shot:

_DSC1198-2.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa that's awesome how did you take these shots?
Thanks!

https://goo.gl/maps/Azvr2BcaFY62

Be at Paine Field during FHCAM/HFF fly days. Next one is July 21. Unfortunately, with commercial flights starting for the first time out of this airport later this year, this area may become closed off. Been watching regular air events over this airport from "The Windsock" for the past 10 years. It may becoming to a close. :(

upload_2018-5-21_0-18-21.png

Canon 70D; Canon 100-400L (version 1); shutter priority at 1/200; exposure compensation +1 to +2 stops; circular polarizer to cut down the glare, bring the aperture down to reasonable levels and get some definition in the clouds.

Last edited:
Looking at this full screen. It's a really clean image.

Thanks, unfortunately it looks still visibly worse than the original. I need a place to host my pics that keeps the high quality up (I read that smugmug is a good place for this)

Canon 70D; Canon 100-400L (version 1); shutter priority at 1/200; exposure compensation +1 to +2 stops; circular polarizer to cut down the glare, bring the aperture down to reasonable levels and get some definition in the clouds.

Maybe it's different for Canon sensors (i'm used to Sony ones) but I take the opposite approach, I underexpose to preserve the highlights of the midday sky then pull the shadows up (often with 0 penalty in noise). This also gives me faster shutter speeds for the given aperture/iso

Last edited:
With props, you don't want faster shutter speeds. Don't get a full disc unless you're down around 1/60, which is nearly impossible to get a clean image in Ground-to-Air. So you slow it down as much as you dare. As you see, 1/200 gives a decent pie slice (B-25) while the Spit's smaller slice was at 1/400 ( got there late and hadn't set up properly). Jets are easier - just crank up the shutter speed for sharp shots at high speed. No frozen props to worry about.

The thunderbolt image at the link below looks like about a 1/1000 or better shutter speed. Doesn't look that great right? (I tried to hotlink, it wouldn't let me)
https://www.acmp.com/blog/photography-of-aircraft-in-motion.html
Here's a spit that has even more of an issue:
(Not hotlinkable)
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201510/big_1067_DSC00298_spitfire_1_1.jpg

So on bright days without a filter, the desired slower shutter speed stops me way down to F11 or smaller, and all the shit on my sensor shows up. I've tried ND filters as well for this, but I like the polarizer results better since it cuts down on the glare from wings and cockpits while giving better cloud definition.

I over expose because the autoexposure for these shots on my 70D most frequently exposes for the clouds/sky resulting in a very dark aircraft, and the sensor isn't good enough to pull enough out of shadows for very, very dark airplanes - lots of noise. So I aim for an exposure where the clouds/sky are right at the limit of blowing out so the airplanes are lighter, then I bring the sky down and airplanes up to even out the tone without getting too much noise from the pulled shadows. Frequently I'll use manual exposure and take test shots of the sky, moving my aperture/shutter/iso combination to get just a little bit of clipping in the brightest sections. That often works better than the exposure compensation method. But not always - depends on the variability of the sky across your shooting field of view.

I do shoot my jets at a higher shutter speed - 1/500 to 1/1000:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qE8lsdo96Ldg1dGM2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8vlEYUJmUP58dVWn2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9TLcaGzLgHaHCHMe9

BB

Last edited:
Is Flickr now blocking photo sharing like Photobucket? ^ Anyone else seeing red X's on that post?

yep, seeing red X's - maybe its a board setting gone wonky? Cause I still see mine, which are flickr..

Back