A Picture I Took 2018 - 2019

Portraits are much harder than landscapes. Landscapes are what they are and people are well, people... :p

Of course, with landscapes, you can do basically everything right and still come away without a good photo. You can hike for miles and miles, find a good composition, try to wait for the moment and light to be right, and still get nothing.

There are landscapes, and there are LANDSCAPES... Unfortunately, I can only take the former. :)

Sunsets in a valley between two sets of mountains is hard. The tracks on the way were not TOO bad.

40779534811_e8b19f2c08_b.jpg
2018_03_11-bham-drive-1020 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

40779534031_df4b112905_b.jpg
2018_03_11-bham-drive-1040 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

Obligatory cruising car shot... Just a snap - didn't have the tripod for an HDR, so the IQ on this is pretty bad. :)
26909607288_ab44e310f2_b.jpg
2018_03_11-bham-drive-1033 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

Obligatory cruising car shot... Just a snap - didn't have the tripod for an HDR, so the IQ on this is pretty bad. :)
View attachment 583712018_03_11-bham-drive-1033 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

ok - after doing an obvious crop, I think we need to go back here with similar light AND A TRIPOD so it becomes 21:9 widescreen desktop-worthy.

40088966274_b48e5cf18c_b.jpg
2018_03_11-bham-drive-1033-2 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

North of Sedona along 89A through Oak Creek Canyon. I was hoping the foliage would be green now that it's spring with recent rains...but I was still a little too early.

Taken: 3/24/2018

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV • Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM @176mm • 1s. • f/4 • ISO 250
2O3A8996_LR_Logo.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV • Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM @17mm • 1s. • f/4 • ISO 1000 (10-stop ND Filter)
2O3A9001_LR_Logo.jpg

I wish Sony would release a native Tilt/Shift lens. Along the lines of 19mm to 24mm would be fantastic!

They might be able to make a 17mm T/S lens a little smaller than Canon's, but anything larger than that will be just as large. Recommend grabbing the appropriate Canon lens for your work and then set yourself to finding a solid adapter, probably Sigma's.

These were both taken a couple of weeks ago at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. Just used my trusty Nexus 5X phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_092828.jpg
    IMG_20180311_092828.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180311_094933.jpg
    IMG_20180311_094933.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 0
They might be able to make a 17mm T/S lens a little smaller than Canon's, but anything larger than that will be just as large. Recommend grabbing the appropriate Canon lens for your work and then set yourself to finding a solid adapter, probably Sigma's.

I probably will. I've owned the 17mm T/S before with a Metabones 4 adapter, which I didn't need the AF so it was over priced for what I was using the adapter for. Great images and I loved it. Will probably go with the 24mm T/S II this time. I don't want to deal with larger, that I already have, NiSi filters and adapters. Would LOVE to try Nikons 19mm but they are nuts priced.

::

Going to try and research how to focus stack images. I've never tried but always wanted to. These are shot at f/2.8 and f/8 - the second one was a fairly heavy crop. Both on the a7R2 and VC 65mm Macro APO.

26264133997_703de1902f_b.jpg

40240483325_88c6bc24f8_b.jpg

Sony a7R2 and Tokina 20mm FiRIN

41125925571_818e0973e6_b.jpg

39317152690_ed2d2a9f6f_b.jpg

41082582012_9af37b018c_b.jpg

I probably will. I've owned the 17mm T/S before with a Metabones 4 adapter, which I didn't need the AF so it was over priced for what I was using the adapter for. Great images and I loved it. Will probably go with the 24mm T/S II this time. I don't want to deal with larger, that I already have, NiSi filters and adapters. Would LOVE to try Nikons 19mm but they are nuts priced.

Going to try and research how to focus stack images. I've never tried but always wanted to. These are shot at f/2.8 and f/8 - the second one was a fairly heavy crop. Both on the a7R2 and VC 65mm Macro APO.

Little devices like https://witharsenal.com/ are all the rage now for focus stacking. ;) It's an option worth exploring.

Well, focus stacking by racking focus with AF only- which works, more or less, but I'd love to see a version with a motor that moves the camera and lens combo to auto-focus-stack.

[ideally, you'd want a motorized variable extension tube or bellows setup that would move the camera through the subjects field of focus while keeping the lens grounded, but hey...]

Well, focus stacking by racking focus with AF only- which works, more or less, but I'd love to see a version with a motor that moves the camera and lens combo to auto-focus-stack.

[ideally, you'd want a motorized variable extension tube or bellows setup that would move the camera through the subjects field of focus while keeping the lens grounded, but hey...]

Why would this be better than using a tilt/shift lens? Or just moving the subject farther away to get more field in focus?

Why would this be better than using a tilt/shift lens? Or just moving the subject farther away to get more field in focus?

Moving the camera away changes composition. Which is undesirable. Also, the further you are from your subject, the fewer pixels you're devoting to what you're actually shooting. If you're serious about macro, then you want maximum resolution and to not throw away pixels.
Tilt/Shift can be a solution with certain subjects. But when dealing with very 3-dimensional objects like say insects (or even flowers), simply shifting the plane of focus to bisect the insect may still not be enough. It also may look odd. And still also not give enough DOF.

This is a very specific usage case. Unless you're serious about macro photography (or possibly certain types of product photography, which also can be macro based), you'll probably never bother to use or need a high-level technique like focus stacking.

Just got back from the Dominican Republic with my new A7 III which I managed to somehow buy 3 weeks ago at a photo expo before official release (had to borrow the 16-35 f4 from a colleague)

This camera took me away from my bellowed xt1, and I am blown away by its capabilities :)

Oh and finally Lightroom raw support yay

?user_id=11520527&webp=true&sig=7174d713a06a52beee523a3a6e09ac5319658a1aed2f14204f438d34d69dd935.jpg

https://500px.com/photo/252236007/abandoned-by-andrei-ursuleac

Just got back from the Dominican Republic with my new A7 III which I managed to somehow buy 3 weeks ago at a photo expo before official release (had to borrow the 16-35 f4 from a colleague)

This camera took me away from my bellowed xt1, and I am blown away by its capabilities :)

Oh and finally Lightroom raw support yay

View attachment 64429

https://500px.com/photo/252236007/abandoned-by-andrei-ursuleac

Nice, grats on the new cam. I'm currently deciding between getting an A73 or a used A7R2. They're roughly the same price (the A7R2 being compared at the used price of course. Actually they can be had for $1700-$1800 on the used market). I have an a6500 that I use for video now, and I'm looking to replace my "stills" camera, the 5D3. I just want to have overlap in case I need two camera to shoot stills or two cameras to shoot video that will use the same color science, so obviously having one Canon and one Sony for the time being isn't ideal.

It's really hard to decide. The A73 is probably the best all around hybrid camera on the market right now. Full stop. But seeing how I have the video specialized a6500, it might make more sense to go with the more stills focused a7r2 that still shoots very good video when necessary, rather than going with the full hybrid a73. Ergonomics, battery, and AF are all better on the newer a73. But the sensor and of course resolution is still better on the "older" a7r2. It's a toss up.

Nice, grats on the new cam. I'm currently deciding between getting an A73 or a used A7R2. They're roughly the same price (the A7R2 being compared at the used price of course. Actually they can be had for $1700-$1800 on the used market). I have an a6500 that I use for video now, and I'm looking to replace my "stills" camera, the 5D3. I just want to have overlap in case I need two camera to shoot stills or two cameras to shoot video that will use the same color science, so obviously having one Canon and one Sony for the time being isn't ideal.

It's really hard to decide. The A73 is probably the best all around hybrid camera on the market right now. Full stop. But seeing how I have the video specialized a6500, it might make more sense to go with the more stills focused a7r2 that still shoots very good video when necessary, rather than going with the full hybrid a73. Ergonomics, battery, and AF are all better on the newer a73. But the sensor and of course resolution is still better on the "older" a7r2. It's a toss up.

Indeed both are sweet cameras, IMO - unless you absolutely need those sweet extra MPs - i would choose the A73. The auto focus tracking is just superb especially combined with face/eye tracking, makes taking moving portrait shots a breeze. The battery finally stopped being an issue (I could not go without a second one on my xt1), now i can shoot all day with 0 stress

Oh and the video quality --- wow just wow --- i just saw some of the videos I shot in my vacation and it literally made me ashamed of my videography skills (i need to work on them asap). The video is that sharp/clear. Check out Max Yurev's youtube review, it many ways it beats even the a7s M2 in video quality

Sony is really trying to pull something off here ;)

Indeed both are sweet cameras, IMO - unless you absolutely need those sweet extra MPs - i would choose the A73. The auto focus tracking is just superb especially combined with face/eye tracking, makes taking moving portrait shots a breeze. The battery finally stopped being an issue (I could not go without a second one on my xt1), now i can shoot all day with 0 stress

Oh and the video quality --- wow just wow --- i just saw some of the videos I shot in my vacation and it literally made me ashamed of my videography skills (i need to work on them asap). The video is that sharp/clear. Check out Max Yurev's youtube review, it many ways it beats even the a7s M2 in video quality

Sony is really trying to pull something off here ;)

Saw it already.

I won't be using it primarily for video. The a6500 is really want or need in that department. Like I say, sort of a tough call. But I have a friend with an a7r2. So, hopefully I'll get to test it and do a couple of sessions with it to see how I feel about it.

I'll take all further replies to PM though. I don't want to clog up the pic thread with non pic related replies.

Back