A Picture I Took 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dust storm sweeping through Phoenix, AZ in August 2017. (several image pano)

20170823_DustStormPano.jpg

Last edited:
When you see a nice shot otw home from an overnight, and convince the wife to wait a few while you grab your camera and take a few pics...

...and forget to run through your checklist and leave your 70D's ISO at 800... :(

2017_12_02-barn-0661-2 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

2017_12_02-barn-0661 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

2017_12_02-barn-0663 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

2017_12_02-barn-0663-2 by BBGunWB, on Flickr

Wow! These are awesome. May I use one to hang on my wall? Where were they taken?

Holy heck everyone, these are some wicked pictures. I am in awe with everyone of them! Da' World, F*ck Yeah!!!

Wow, these are really on point. Great work!!! like taken out of a magazine catalogue.

Thank you. By far the best compliment I have ever heard :)

I'm slowly getting a hang of this portrait thing, but to be honest... having good looking professional models that know what to do helps a ton! I still suck at directing :p

...and forget to run through your checklist and leave your 70D's ISO at 800... :(

800 ISO? Not sure why you'd be even remotely concerned about that. Unless you plan on printing those images at like 20 x 24" and wanted to have super deep color saturation, I wouldn't even blink any eye at it. If you left it at say 1600 then yea maybe you could have gotten a bit better image if you had the headroom to go down a full stop. If you didn't have that full stop I would have still taken those images at 1600 ISO and likely been happy with them. The images are great, and I'm not really seeing anything that changing the ISO would have really made a huge difference either way. On here we're looking at a 2MP image from a 20MP sensor. You can feel disappointed looking at it from 6" at 1:1, but I don't have an 8K display and would probably be looking at it from 1 1/2 feet away anyway.

As a side note I had the pleasure of playing around with a 5DMkIV recently. 6400 iso on that is like 1600 iso on the 70D. It's pretty dang crazy how high you can turn up the ISO on that body. (Which I think 1600 iso is actually better than 400 iso was on the old 20D, so stuff has come a long ways already)

^ For web, not concerned, but in spite of my best efforts, I still pixel peep; and *knowing* it could be sharper at bigger print/image sizes but isn't... bugs me. Plus, it's a way to self flagellate so I freaking remember next time. I've done similar before and its not like its difficult to remember the 4 checks- shutter, aperture, iso, AF type (single shot or AI Servo).

Yeah, the 800ISO on my 70D is like 400 on my old 50D and that's only 2 generations...

I've seen high ISO pics from a friend's 1Dx and they blow me away at 6400ISO, just unbelievable.

I've seen high ISO pics from a friend's 1Dx and they blow me away at 6400ISO, just unbelievable.

The real test of camera sensor noise is astrophotography. But with daylight pics, I don't notice any noise at or below 800 ISO in my camera (D750).

Made it off base again...this will likely be my last photo trip of 2017, but boy am I happy with the results! This is also my first posted photo processed with Capture One Pro 11, and my first time managing perspective correction with software keystone corrections instead of using my 24mm PC-E lens (which is back at home).

Sunset over Doha
by David Gevert, on Flickr

That's a big jump, almost what I would be looking at if I ever upgrade my D800 to D850, but probably won't ever happen. I'm contempt to use it for as long as possible, lol.

Plus I'm broke, so there's that :LOL:

Congrats on a new toy! Great shot! (y)

That's a big jump, almost what I would be looking at if I ever upgrade my D800 to D850, but probably won't ever happen. I'm contempt to use it for as long as possible, lol.

Plus I'm broke, so there's that :LOL:

Congrats on a new toy! Great shot! (y)
Well don't really need to upgrade per se, this would just be my birthday and xmas present to myself lol. Gonna have to pick up some extra shifts.

And in a typical Anh fashion, you knocked it out of the park! Very nice shot! (y)

Them nails :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back