A Picture I Took 2017

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by djstarfox, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Ihaveworms

Ihaveworms [H]ardness Supreme

It has been a while since I have pulled out the camera as I got out of the hobby for a few years. I picked up a a6500 and some lenses recently and have started shooting again.

20171007-6.jpg

20171006-3.jpg

BeavermanA, Anh N. and JStamsek like this.
  2. JStamsek

JStamsek [H]ardness Supreme

Nice shots! And welcome back to the cool Club!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. JStamsek

What a day! I took my daughter and her friend out to the West Fork Trail in Sedona. We left Mesa at 5:15am and made to to the trail head by 8am. I wanted to get there early before the parking lot filled up. And it was 7.5 miles of bliss. Now that's a Monday!

2O3A6191.JPG

2O3A6298.JPG

2O3A6278.JPG

WestForkTrail.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    BeavermanA, Ur_Mom and Anh N. like this.
  4. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

I love going up above Sedona. It's like a break from the complete desert. Last time I went home after visiting my parents, I took that scenic road out of Sedona to Flagstaff instead of the freeway. Way worth it.

There is a place up there where you can go catch trout at a trout farm. That place was cool. WAY too easy to catch fish, but still fun.

I always enjoy your pics. I miss Arizona, I really need to get back down there and visit family.

Also, are you a professional photographer (as your profession) or just do it as a hobby? I'm wanting to get into it as a hobby and nothing professional, but your shots are always great. Right angle, lighting, etc.. Where'd you learn that?

JStamsek likes this.
  5. JStamsek

I learned photography from your mom. Ok, now that I've gotten that terrible joke out of the way, let me answer.

Photography is not my profession, but it has provided income at times. For example I had a couples shoot and a family shoot in the last two weeks. And while that type of photography is not my strong suit, people seem to be very happy with the images.

More to the point, I've always had an appreciation for nature since I was a kid. But I always felt like something was missing. And photography filled that void perfectly by allowing to take what I see home with me. Also, being someone who is into technology...such as PC's and why I first joined this forum...became an added strength when it came to the technical side of photography (transferring images, understanding formats, editing techniques, building a proper PC for editing, etc).

Ultimately I learned and am still learning on the fly. Shoot shoot and shoot some more. Always keeping an eye out for what feels like may be a good photo. Like the tree in my above post. Everything was dark around it and the sun was shining on that tree alone. I was smacked with what I was looking at. But it was windy as hell so I upped the ISO so I could snap with a fast exposure to freeze any movement. Seemed to work. Maybe slowing it down to allow blur would've made it better...I don't know.

And unlike a lot of photographers...I don't plan much. I may have a loose idea and go with it...flying by the seat of my pants. For example, going to Sedona. I was hoping for more landscape shots, but my daughter and her friend wanted pictures of themselves and it worked out nicely. Or so I think anyways. It's just fun to grab the camera and go. See what I can find. Sometimes I get a good image, sometimes I come home disappointed and wonder why I failed.

I'm very hard on myself and there have been only a handful of images that I would say I'm truly happy with. Therein lies the rub. I don't consider myself a good photographer. I feel like a hack who gets lucky sometimes. And that's the truth. But it keeps me motivated and pushes.

There is one photographer I follow on YouTube for the sheer fact he captures and shares my views on photography. Thomas Heaton. I highly recommend you check out his channel. Very real and down to earth.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhW84xfA6gEc4hDK90rR1Q

MrWrong, Anh N. and Ur_Mom like this.
  6. Daggah

Daggah 2[H]4U

Finally, new content from me...not particularly thrilled with it, but oh well. There's not exactly a lot of photography opportunities during deployments.

[​IMG]
    Doha Skyline
    by David Gevert, on Flickr

7. Daggah

Daggah 2[H]4U

8. KodiakStar

KodiakStar /'s by 0

MN Scout, Skillz, BeavermanA and 4 others like this.
  9. JStamsek

10. JStamsek

^^^ I love cats!! Great shot!!

Salt River, AZ

SaltRiverTrail.jpg

Daggah, Anh N., Domingow and 2 others like this.
  11. Daggah

Daggah 2[H]4U

I like the leading line there but I feel like you might've cropped a bit too close to the cliff up top on that one. Otherwise nice work!

12. Daggah

Daggah 2[H]4U

Decided to import smartphone RAWs taken with my Mate 9 over the last 6-7 months to see what I could do with them in Lightroom...in the absence of being able to get out and about, this gives me something to post.

[​IMG]
    Ala Moana Beach (Smartphone)

[​IMG]
    Mt Rushmore July 2017 (Smartphone)

Mate 9 RAW files aren't exactly D800 RAWs, but they're pretty decent all things considered. However, there's some really wonky white balance stuff going on..."daylight" balance isn't anywhere near 5500K with 0 tint...in Lightroom Mobile or Lightroom 5 on the PC, to get daylight balance, I'm at more like 6800K with +70 magenta tint. :/

northrop, KodiakStar and Anh N. like this.
  13. KodiakStar

KodiakStar /'s by 0

Picked up a new-to-me 18-105mm G lens for the a6300. I might be in love.

[​IMG]In focus by travis, on Flickr

Anh N. likes this.
  14. Anh N.

Anh N. Gawd

15. Anh N.

Anh N. Gawd