A Picture I took 2016

posting.jpg
Phoenix in early January.

Visited the Meijer Gardens again for their annual butterfly show. Also picked up a couple canon macro extenders to try out and thought I'd get in the game with some macro bug shots. You guys - you take great pics - this is hard! Realized right quick that focus, depth of field, and having enough light are the biggest challenges. Most of these are very high ISO.

IMG_4043 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_4189 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_4181 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_4235 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_4158-2 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_4091 by J Horton, on Flickr

More here if you're interested: Butterflies at Frederik Meijer Gardens

jamsomito, wildlife is very difficult to photograph because they're always moving! Those are some very cooperative butterflies. Well done.

That first one would be awesome if you cropped the out of focus foreground object on the right.

I love desert landscapes. Did you use an MD or any kind of filter for that backlit shot?

No MD or filter was used. I did use my hand near the top to slightly block the sun so I wouldn't get flare in the shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Superstition Mountains in Arizona

superstitionmountains.jpg

20160413_SuperstitionSunset.jpg

I took the Canon SX520 that I got from that deal a couple months back to the nature center to try to find anything interesting. Everything is still kinda in winter-mode here in MN. Trees are all leaf-less, but the wildlife is starting to come back. I'm no where close to you guys and your pictures but I thought these were decent. I wish they were a bit darker but it was pretty bright there. Everything was shot on auto as I'm not good enough to know what to do in manual mode ;) .

IMG_0047a.JPG

IMG_0053a.JPG

IMG_0061a.JPG

IMG_0080a.JPG

IMG_0099a.JPG

edit: made smaller

Last edited:
I took the Canon SX520 that I got from that deal a couple months back to the nature center to try to find anything interesting. Everything is still kinda in winter-mode here in MN. Trees are all leaf-less, but the wildlife is starting to come back. I'm no where close to you guys and your pictures but I thought these were decent. I wish they were a bit darker but it was pretty bright there. Everything was shot on auto as I'm not good enough to know what to do in manual mode ;) .

*snip*

edit: made smaller

Wow, point and shoots have really come a long ways. Those look great.

Some might call the bokeh in the second to last one a bit harsh, but I kind of like it. Almost looks like a Petzval lens.

Yup, that camera (SX520) can get some pretty good results for what it cost from that deal. I got one too just for S&G.

Yea those are some pretty good shots. With a couple tweaks of the camera settings I think you'd be even happier with them. It's difficult to compare photos straight out of the camera with ones that are posted as most of ours will go through a bit of post. For example I think the 2nd turkey picture was a bit over exposed. (Which you also mentioned) It would have been ran through lightroom and a couple of quick tweaks would clean it right up. Here is about 5 minutes of me just playing with a couple sliders and setting to taste.

2lxxymo.jpg

Since it probably looks a tad different on your end, I'll let you decide if there is too much color in it. (Saturation) It looked fine in LR but it seems a bit over done now even though I didn't touch saturation, but gave it a bit more contrast.

Last edited:
Missed you guys! My camera's been collecting dust for a while, with my circumstances on the base in Turkey where I'm at having gone to complete shit. I haven't traveled since last November. :( I finally just decided I'd had enough and found a local to model for me so I could at least do *some* kind of photography. More to come...

Casual Photoshoot w/ Laura #1
by David Gevert, on Flickr

I think this may be my first successful use of fill flash on camera. I've gotten decent at getting results with off-camera flash but getting the balance right for on-camera fill still seemed to elude me.

Peaks the Bulldog Puppy
by David Gevert, on Flickr

Also, I get off this fucking rock (my prison sentence at Incirlik Air Base) for a little while next week, with a trip to Singapore and Bali. So for the first time in six months, I'll have scenic pictures to post. If all goes to plan, I'll have at least a day/night in Frankfurt, Germany too.

I'm starting to lose my shit out here. :(

Long time lurker of this thread.... There are some really nice pictures and expensive cameras some of you have. ;)

Here is a nesting Roseate Spoonbill that I saw today.

^Very nice shot, Daggah. It's composed well, exposed well, and I think what really does it for me is your control of depth of field. It's perfect for the depth of the bike. Excellent shot.

Took a trip to my folks place this weekend and got to mix and match some gear. Here's a few snaps:
blue marble 2 by J Horton, on Flickr

shake off by J Horton, on Flickr

bzzzz by J Horton, on Flickr

Ok, there's a short story behind the last one. I got bored and decided I wanted to catch this bumble bee mid-flight @ 400mm. Took me 30 minutes, but I got 'im! LOL Still not the best.

Back