A Picture I Took 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MN Scout: very cool that you take the time to develop old school :)

@eth3ton: I wonder how she would like it on that SVS during a Michal Bay movie ;)

Anyway here is my picture for today. It was taken during the umbrella movement in Hong Kong:
4d6b1e13be19541129c70396f05b2406

Urban Camping by Andrei Ursuleac on 500px
(click for a clearer image)

Last edited:
@eth3ton: I wonder how she would like it on that SVS during a Michal Bay movie ;)

He doesn't. :D Some of the scenes in the Tron remake are insane on that thing! Perfect home theater movie soundtrack!

He doesn't. :D Some of the scenes in the Tron remake are insane on that thing! Perfect home theater movie soundtrack!

The newest Tron movie, now that is something I should rewatch. Been a long time.

Just broke my record for oldest film used. Just shot a roll Friday made around 1960. Kodak Ektachrome ER Slide film. The roll was self rolled ages ago by someone and not labeled. I thought it might be color negative, but wasn't expecting slide film. Turned out with a very dark base, and the image was OK, but I won't be using any of the additional rolls I have. The images I shot at ISO 12 were the best.

Positive is I got the cleanest negatives yet, so I'm getting better at the process. Reduced the wetting agent in my final wash to 1/4 tsp for 500ml (works out to 1:400 ratio of Ilfotol). I didn't agitate the reel enough to make bubbles, which I think helped also. The water shed off better because of these things.

Developed in Caffenol C-L, 5 minute presoak, 70 minutes. Vuescan's advanced workflow calculated an exposure of 100 maxing out the exposure, and causing a few streaks from bad ccd pixels that had to be cleaned up in Photoshop.

2015-02-13_oak_trees.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice star-trails ZJ! And good shots, Ben.

What background stand did you get?

I was actually just needing a background stand for a shoot in a few days. What stand(s) would you guys recommend? This shoot will be outdoors using sunlight and reflectors, but I need a few shots with a plain white background, so I'm planning to bring a cheap white drop-cloth for my white background. I may just find a place to tape it up on-sight, but it'd be nice to have a large stand to permanently solve that problem.

Edit, NM, just picked up a cheap one off amazon.

Last edited:
Tons of great stuff getting posted in here.
Really enjoyed Daggah's posts of Okinawa, I miss being there. About 4 years since my last visit. Glad you made it to the Aquarium! It's definitely not to be missed. The seascapes came out wonderfully too.
Neutrino is killing it with his pics around China.
Ben always has great stuff from around town and taking advantage of both snowstorms and cute babies. Some would consider the latter cheating!

@MN Scout LOL your last pic gives me such a WWII vibe (all you need is a soldier in the frame) ;)
I live fairly close to the beaches of Normandy and Belgium ... maybe i should go and take a few pics then see if i can replicate that look of yours

@ZJChaser I'm confused: you mention the time lapse app. Shouldn't that make a video? I see a long exposure pic? Am i missing something?
I do like the pic though :)

@ ben chi(f4) love the second pic ... gives a freezing bleak feel

@MN Scout LOL your last pic gives me such a WWII vibe (all you need is a soldier in the frame) ;)
I live fairly close to the beaches of Normandy and Belgium ... maybe i should go and take a few pics then see if i can replicate that look of yours

The picture does have the old timey grainy feeling. I'd surely have to add software filters to get that look from my D300S or D800E, especially the D800E. Even severely underexposing 8+ stops might not be enough force that much grain. I can push a 200 ISO underexposed shot up to 25,600 and not have much grain at an 8x10 size.

I got in a bulk film loader today. Alden 74 is the model bought off ebay for $17. Will be used to reload Tmax 100 into reloadable film cassettes. I think I'll do 24 frames in each because I have troubles using up a 36 count roll in one outing.

Edit:
Since I'm still talking about that Kodak Ektachrome ER Slide film developed as BW, here is another photo:
2015-02-13_Kodak_ER_Developed_BW_in_Caffel_C-L_70_minutes_Shot_at_ISO_12.jpg

Last edited:
Kodak Tri-X Pan Black and White Film ASA 400. Rated at 100. Negatives could have used one more stop, so 50 would have been better. The film grain is strong and the base was fogged from being so old. I didn't know it was from the Safety film era, so sometime around 1960. Developed in Caffenol C-L 70 minutes.

Tried bounce flash for the first time with film (cat photo). I should have calculated the loss from the ceiling greater. So if it was 5 feet to the ceiling and 10 feet to the person, instead of 15 feet I should have gone for 25+.

Took a few pinhole photos (water tower). Those actually ended up well exposed. F/22 metered for 1/12 second, multiplied by ~60 to account for the pinhole gave me around 5 seconds. Then I needed to think about the film reciprocity (less sensitive for long exposures). I planned on taking them for 30 seconds, but ended up letting it go for 55 seconds.

2015-02-18_kitty.jpg

2015-02-17_maple_grove_northern_water_tower_pinhole_photo_by_adam_bavier.jpg

Pinhole photo.

Last edited:
This one is really good.

Thanks. When I saw it I said, "That is the one off this roll." I had a few other good ones of my parents together, but I like my cat picture the best:p.

2015-02-18_coffee.jpg

+1 and +2 close-up filters stacked. F/16. Thank you Dad for buying these for your camera years ago.

Last edited:
@ZJChaser I'm confused: you mention the time lapse app. Shouldn't that make a video? I see a long exposure pic? Am i missing something?
I do like the pic though :)

The app is designed to make videos but I set it to just save the images instead of compiling them into a video. That shot is 100 or so 30 second images stacked. The app just makes it easier for me to set and forget not have to babysit the camera the whole time.

The app is designed to make videos but I set it to just save the images instead of compiling them into a video. That shot is 100 or so 30 second images stacked. The app just makes it easier for me to set and forget not have to babysit the camera the whole time.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification :)

^^That is too funny. Can't help but think that'd do more harm than good in case of a crash. Where was this taken?

So my D750 is coming in today!! I am so excited!!

Too bad the weather here sucks right now, so no hiking like I planned. I may have to find something good to shoot indoors this weekend. Maybe I'll bump up my trip to the aquarium.

It was taken in Xiamen, from the all the improvised helmets that I could see I presume they have some sort of helmet law but lack the funds to buy proper headgear.

Hope you enjoy that 750, it seems like it's probably the most rounded DSLR on the market. Plus I love the flippy screen, it makes weird angle shots so much easier.

^^That is too funny. Can't help but think that'd do more harm than good in case of a crash

He won't be going very fast so it'll be more than enough to protect his head from a tumble. Indeed, at low speeds it might be superior as it will crumple (thus absorbing energy) when a western helmet will not.

I really like the texture on the rocks and the wispy quality to the water on the sand. Great sight lines into the picture also. The void of sand, two rocks on the right, and the rock jut out on the left, one on the horizon. Works for me. That one would be great big on a wall.

Tokyo Tower
by davidgevert, on Flickr

I picked up the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR for my D800...so I finally have a stabilized standard zoom in my arsenal. I plan on picking up the 24-120 for those days when I want to roll with one camera and one lens. I don't plan on it replacing my 24-70 f/2.8 though.

^^ More great shots there Daggah!

I took the new D750 down to the river this morning to put it through its paces - not exactly a good day for it, but I couldn't resist. It's one of the coldest days of the year here in GA, and really boring light out today. It was also the first time I got around to taking my telephoto down to the river, so I got some bird shots while I was at it. D750 did a great job focusing, but again the light wasn't exactly flattering.

Feb-River-Hike-1.jpg

Feb-River-Hike-2.jpg

This guy was way out in the middle of the river. Nearly a 1-to-1 crop from 300mm (and lots of contrast/clarity added)
Feb-River-Hike-3.jpg

Expose-for-highlights mode is so nice for landscapes, and I am absolutely loving the 20mm on full frame! Can't wait to get some better scenery in front of this thing.
Feb-River-Hike-4.jpg

Feb-River-Hike-5.jpg

Feb-River-Hike-6.jpg

Another close to 1-to-1 crop. I was fairly shocked how much motion-blur I got even at high shutter speeds with the D750 sensor. This was 300mm at 1/800 and still lots of motion blur.
Feb-River-Hike-7.jpg

Feb-River-Hike-8.jpg

Cloudy day with a bit of sun breaking through. Got this stork flying right over me in the swamp.
2dt1ukw.jpg

That is a bird I don't see in Minnesota.

25 degrees out Saturday morning around 2AM, which got me out of the house to take advantage of the warmish temps and try some long exposure night photos with my new "young" film. These two water tower photos were taken at 6 minutes and 45 seconds and 9 minutes long with an aperture of F/8. The sky was heavily overcast leading to not much contrast between it and the water tower on the side lit by the city lights.

Tmax 100 Caffenol C-L. No prewash. I forgot to do the 5 minute prewash, but everything turned out OK as far as I can tell. This film is off a 100ft bulk roll expired in 1993, and it is my first roll, so I don't have any other strips to compare yet. Keeping the rating at ISO 100 looks good so far.

(Edit)Found 2 more I'm really happy with. The second one had a problem at first. The negative had tape residue stuck over the person's face on the smooth film base side. What worked to get it off was taking a piece of Scotch Satin Finish clear tape and dabbing it on, and the residue was plucked up. The tape residue came from the tape piece holding the 100ft bulk roll from unraveling. I should have just cut off the first foot and thrown it away. All was good in the end.

Last edited:
Nice pics, MN Scout. Turns out I got some shots of my dog this weekend too. I got my hands on a canon 70-200 IS USM and took some action shots of some family members playing with him. I was sick and didn't want to go outside, so I shot through this and this, but some of them turned out pretty good.

back for more by jamsomito, on Flickr

waiting by jamsomito, on Flickr

stick by jamsomito, on Flickr

I like the warmer white balance of the 2nd one.

I was hoping to have some film photos of the Moon to scan today. Unfortunately while finishing off the roll outside this afternoon the camera froze up and the mirror stuck up. Should start working again here once warmed up. Edit: Had to shoot off one frame. Now it is working.

Last edited:
2015-02-24%20-%2027%20yellow%20and%20CPL%20-%20 F5.6%2060th%20Plus-X%20Aerecon%20II.jpg

Filters:Yellow 12 and CPL figured at 3 stop light loss. I'm liking this filter combination.
Exposure: F5.6 1/60th
Film: Kodak Plus-X Aerecon II film 3404 exposed ISO 100. This film is very thin. Comes on a metal spool. I didn't try loading it into my bulk loader, but my hunch is it won't fit in there.
Development: Caffenol C-L 70 minutes 68 degrees no prewash.

Here are two shots of the moon. Tmax 100. The first one is the sharpest. Taken at F8 and 1/60th. The second one is a better exposure, but unfortunately not as sharp. Taken at F3.5 and 1/60th. I should have a string of shots at F8 and 1/30 and even a few at 1/15. The camera vibrations are an issue. My exposure was wrongly figured off a full moon, and didn't take into account that it was only a sliver.
2015-02-22_moon_1.jpg

2015-02-22_moon_2.jpg

Process notes: black mask around the moon. Contrast curve, bringing up the bright edge and bringing the large crater down. Reduced 50%.
Pentax Spotmatic, Miida 75-205 and a Hanimex 2x teleconverter

Last edited:

Framework
by davidgevert, on Flickr

I'm happy with this one. Sometimes, I feel like my compositional creativity is lacking, and I want to try to work on that with more interesting perspectives, like this.

2015-02-24%20-%2027%20yellow%20and%20CPL%20-%20 F5.6%2060th%20Plus-X%20Aerecon%20II.jpg

Filters:Yellow 12 and CPL figured at 3 stop light loss. I'm liking this filter combination.
Exposure: F5.6 1/60th
Film: Kodak Plus-X Aerecon II film 3404 exposed ISO 100. This film is very thin. Comes on a metal spool. I didn't try loading it into my bulk loader, but my hunch is it won't fit in there.
Development: Caffenol C-L 70 minutes 68 degrees no prewash.

Here are two shots of the moon. Tmax 100. The first one is the sharpest. Taken at F8 and 1/60th. The second one is a better exposure, but unfortunately not as sharp. Taken at F3.5 and 1/60th. I should have a string of shots at F8 and 1/30 and even a few at 1/15. The camera vibrations are an issue. My exposure was wrongly figured off a full moon, and didn't take into account that it was only a sliver.
2015-02-22_moon_1.jpg

2015-02-22_moon_2.jpg

Process notes: black mask around the moon. Contrast curve, bringing up the bright edge and bringing the large crater down. Reduced 50%.
Pentax Spotmatic, Miida 75-205 and a Hanimex 2x teleconverter

A fellow Minnesotan! Excellent shots BTW.

Just an impromptu shot of my friend's cute kid sitting in a Blackhawk. I went a little nuts with today's Udemy sale and picked up quite a few of the photography courses that caught my interest. Hopefully I can carve out the time to go through them and start working on my technique.

Helo Pilot by Gear Driver, on Flickr
5D Mark III w/ 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM @ ƒ/4.0 ISO 1600 1/100th
Sigma EF-610 DG flash bounced off the cockpit wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back