A Picture I Took 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll never know the difference. Great stuff none the less. Enjoying your work amongst a lot of work from other people as well.

Took this up in Petoskey State Park this weekend. I'd like to work on my nighttime star photos. Sadly, this is the best I was able to get. The problem is, you can only take these at night, after the sun goes completely down, in an area with no light pollution, and when it's clear. Haven't had much chance otherwise.

If anyone has any tips on how to improve this, I'm all ears. I just tried the rule of 500's for star trails, and used my 50mm f/1.8. I also tried some with my 10-18 f4.5-5.6, but it really didn't let in enough light, and it was pretty hard to focus right.

Harbor Springs by J Horton, on Flickr

edit: I also took a shot with the same settings with the lens cap on hoping to subtract the noise from the camera, but I don't know how to do that currently. I'll look around unless you have tips here as well.

Took this up in Petoskey State Park this weekend. I'd like to work on my nighttime star photos. Sadly, this is the best I was able to get. The problem is, you can only take these at night, after the sun goes completely down, in an area with no light pollution, and when it's clear. Haven't had much chance otherwise.

If anyone has any tips on how to improve this, I'm all ears. I just tried the rule of 500's for star trails, and used my 50mm f/1.8. I also tried some with my 10-18 f4.5-5.6, but it really didn't let in enough light, and it was pretty hard to focus right.

edit: I also took a shot with the same settings with the lens cap on hoping to subtract the noise from the camera, but I don't know how to do that currently. I'll look around unless you have tips here as well.

Royce Blair had a very good post on his blog about nightscape photography. (#3, 4, and 12 talk about focusing)
http://intothenightphoto.blogspot.com/2013/05/nightscape-photo-recipe.html

Hope this helps.

Scrapped together a set of old architectural/abstract shots last week.

CloudBuilding1024.JPG

TheBeacon1024.JPG

SnowyRunway1024.JPG

Thanks!

Great set. The first shot got some crazy reflection. Love the 3rd shot too. :)

First one I think I had a CPL filter on, made for very nice reflections. Second is actually the old one, from 2009, but I re-processed it to match the new colors, so that sort-of counts as this year. :cool: Last one was just a lucky snap out a plane window in Boston earlier this year - liked the textures & colors.

^^ Love these shots, man. Does the floor of that place have water standing all over it, or is it just high gloss stone or something?

It's all water. There's actually fish swimming around it now, which is what caused some of the disturbances in the water in my first picture.

sometimes the cell is the only camera you have. And it manages to capture the moment.

IMG_20150627_210859_810.jpg

BB

A few images from a weekend in Inyo county near Bishop. May 15-17.

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150515__MG_0232.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150515__MG_0247.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150515__MG_0336.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150515__MG_0399.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150515__MG_0411.jpg

For the full set (or see things in higher resolution), you can check that out here. I'll post a few more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Happy Fourth.

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150515__MG_0557.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150515__MG_0593.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150516__MG_0654.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150516__MG_0696.jpg

Photographer-%2BJeremiah%2BBostwick__150516__MG_0699.jpg

For the full set (or see things in higher resolution), you can check that out here. I'll post a few more tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got to go to the TN Aquarium yesterday. Haven't had a chance to review my shots yet, but I think I got a few good macro ones in their Butterfly Garden. Pics incoming soon! :cool:

Great shot! Love the light in this. Is it just lit by the string of LED's, or did you have to squeeze some other lights in there to get this look?

Looks like a great trip! Some cool landscapes in here! Looking forward to going through the rest.

Drone Fireworks

Very cool! Love that video you posted from this set. Sadly, I forgot and left my camera at home Saturday, so no fireworks shots from me this year. I was also too busy launching them to take photos anyways. :D

Who's afraid of diffraction? Not this guy. (shot at f/32 for the sun star.)

Nice! Yeah, definitely a nice sun-star, and a very cool image with all the balloons. I've gotten a similar effect with my 20/1.8 a few times, but somehow didn't make the connection between the f-stop and the star-burst effect until just recently. I've been disappointed a few times when I was shooting at like F/4 right into the sun, and didn't get the look I wanted. I gotta remember in the future that the effect is multiplied by using a smaller aperture... :eek:

Yeah, I break the "rules" quite a bit by shooting at f/11-f/22 for the sun star effect when I can. I like shooting into the sun.

Eh, that's what the rules are there for. Just so you know which ones you're breaking and why. One really good quote that I can't remember the source:
"Thinking outside the box works a lot better when you know what's already inside the box."

Started processing the shots from the aquarium and butterfly garden. :cool:

Isabellas-Longwing-1.JPG

Great shot! Love the light in this. Is it just lit by the string of LED's, or did you have to squeeze some other lights in there to get this look?

It is just the LED's in this shot. Glad you liked it :)

https://flic.kr/p/uM6SMR

Lens fogged up so I used Google (Nik) Silver Efex Pro 2 software and sorta saved it on post... :p

edit: speaking of fogging up... I know what I did - car ride with the AC on and it was raining outside. Once fogging happens how do you guys get rid of it? Wait it out?

Last edited:
^^^ Here ya go. Never leave home without 'em!
http://www.amazon.com/Lenspen-NLP-1-LensPen/dp/B007G5NNOW/
Though I'm not sure I've ever actually seen lens fogging that was bad enough to cause image problems. Getting moisture on the lens due to weather or spray can be an issue. Clean very carefully so debris in the moisture don't cause scratches. Dry very carefully, blow dry if possible, then brush away and debris, then use the pad end of the pen to get any smudges off.

Lots more bug pics incoming! Very happy with the detail in some of these. :D

Tawny-Owl-1024-1.JPG

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back