A Picture I Took 2014 - Contains NSFW Images

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
Welcome to the [H]ard|Forum's Photography subforum "A Picture I Took 2014" thread.

This is the place to post photos that you've recently taken and are proud of. Also allowed are photos that you've recently reprocessed that were taken in the past.

Plan for all of us is to:
Post a photo, include a little information if you want, comment on other peoples photos. Keep the discussion related to photography topics.

Why the NSFW addition to the title this year?
We have some very talented photographers here that get the chance to work with some very gorgeous models. They wear tasteful clothing, and outfits, but most workplaces would find a little too much leg, arms and cleavage showing. See the 2013 thread for examples of what is allowed.

Where can you upload your photos?
-Flickr <- The most used host from last years thread.
-imgur
-ImageShack
-Our very own forum member Blue Falcon has a free image hosting your can sign up for www.bbpix.com
-Your own hosting

Suggested image dimensions:
Width of 800 to 1024 pixels is good.

Thanks all for a great 2013 thread, let's make this one excellent also.:cool:

Feel I should improve this welcome post? Just PM me.

My contribution today:
2014_0101_Maple_Grove_Water_Tower_2_by_Adam_J_Bavier_1024w.jpg

Taken in Maple Grove, MN. The 2nd of two water towers serving the city. Bitterly cold out at -5 F. ISO 100, 30 seconds. Light streaks are from cars going by on the freeway.

I decided to try out a new lighting setup for headshots. I think it's gonna work pretty well!

IMG_3466_ppresized_zpsb4787b1e.jpg

IMG_3480_ppresized_zpsd1968edf.jpg

IMG_3488_zps4970e92e.jpg

IMG_3392_zpscf9adc78.jpg

Great shots patric! Thank you for the set up shot, it was a great help to visualize the lighting!

Beautiful shots for the start of 2014 Daggah!

^^ what do you do for your B&W photos, what process? i have such trouble getting the tones so rich.

Patric, I really like that pink background + the lighting. Great combo.

Patric, I really like that pink background + the lighting. Great combo.

I have a bunch of 4x8' foamcore boards stacked against the wall that are all painted different colors on each side. I'll repaint a side from time to time if I need a different color. There are some others too that have textured wallpaper on them. It makes it handy to switch background colors, it only takes 15 seconds to set a new one up and they're really durable too.

^^ what do you do for your B&W photos, what process? i have such trouble getting the tones so rich.

Silver Efex Pro is what did the trick for me. I've always had trouble getting the right B&W conversions that I like. Silver Efex isn't the "be all you can be" software, as it still requires a lot of work to get the look that I like, but I find it to be extremely useful. Some of their default presents are decent enough and don't require much fixing either.

Here's the SOOC shot... sorry about the watermark.

Here are my settings and my post processing settings in LR:

temp: 3750
tint: -7

Exposure: 0.00
Recovery: 20
Fill Light: 10
Blacks: 0
Brightness: +45 (this is at your digression)
Contrast: +25

Curve:
Lights: +5
Darks:-30
Shadows: -25

Red:-10
O: -6
Y: -15
G: -20
Aqua: -18
Blue: +10
Purple: +20
Magenta: +15

Then I export to PS and use my sharpen action.

I hope this helps!

Which version of lightroom is this? I dont remember the last time there was a Fill Light option :S

^Nice. Congrats on the purchase. How much did that set you back? I can't imagine it would be a lot at this point. Film or digital back?

Both.... Film back.. and a "older" Phase One digital back... since this is just a hobby.. just wanted to play with MF...

Great shots as always, folks. I haven't had much time to sally forth this year with my gear but I managed a quick snap with my phone.

1526228_188640818000533_1519669160_o.jpg

I am still experimenting every chance I get, trying to see what I can make work and grinding slowly better with Astro stuff whenever I can. Still not really set up more than a stable tripod and DSLR, but I got my new scopes out tonight and did some shots with the D4 and the 80-400 too just to document the night. I like this combo! Can't wait to actually get some gear where I can do better shots with a real scope.

14-AstroJan-6141 by Kadath, on Flickr

Orion's belt:

14-AstroJan-6135 by Kadath, on Flickr

Jupiter and the Galilean moons lined up nicely:

14-AstroJan-6134 by Kadath, on Flickr

Fantastic shots folks. 2014 looks to be shaping up for a banner thread. Here is my meager contribution from this morning at the local RC flying site.

Morning_Colors_2014-01-12.jpg

Gawd, can you be more specific on your gear and settings used for your shots? I've been thinking about getting into Astrophotography lately since I no longer live on the beach. (Lightning shots are so much easier when you've got a direct line of sight to the horizon over the Gulf of Mexico)

If that's being asked of me I'll say: Nikon D4, 80-400 lens at 400mm, solid tripod.
Moon: 1/250, F7.1, iso 250.
Nebula & Jupiter 1.3 seconds, F7, ISO 12,800

Lightroom is minor edits to the 4 light sliders, cranked to 10-14 clarity and vibrance, and punched up the sharpmess sliders and a little bit of noise reduction.

It's all just monkeying a little bit with those till they look cool, not following any kind of formula.

Up until now I have been taking similar shots on a 1976 era Vivitar 400mm manual focus lens I got in 1985 for $35. The new Nikkor rocks of course but I credit the results with experimentation more than the outrageous camera and lens.

Every time I shoot astro stuff I start with ISO at 200, Aperture as wide as it will go and speed as fast as I can go, and then experiment with all 3 until I get what I want with no star trails or blur. Learning new stuff every time I shoot and I read as much as I can from those with waaaay more experience than I have.

Thanks, I totally botched up your name when I copied and pasted it. Somehow I deleted your name and kept your user title. I was definitely asking about your pics. Astrophotography is going to be my new subject since I've moved away from the beach.

I spent my day working with some incredible models and a couple of awesome hair and makeup artists. The worst thing about headshot shoots is choosing the best pictures! I got so many good ones!

IMG_4350_pp_zps2205a09f.jpg

IMG_4363_pp_zps629677de.jpg

IMG_4127_pp_zps3afd6c4e.jpg

IMG_4490_pp_zpsff1155ab.jpg

IMG_4260_pp_zpsacff0c7f.jpg

IMG_4144_pp_zpsd1110510.jpg

IMG_4211_pp_zpsf568addc.jpg

@patric, good shots... but, can I make a couple observations as I'd hope someone would do for me. The model's eyes don't pop for me. What did you use for lighting? Also, how high was your ISO or how slow was your shutter speed? The images seem too blown out for me.

Back