A Picture I Took 2014 - Contains NSFW Images

a60001.jpg

Sometimes, bigger isn't always better.

Don't get me wrong, I love my D800, but when I went on vacation to the Philippines this past March, its size and weight really served as a major disadvantage. When it's 90 degrees out and humidity is over 70%, the last thing you want hanging on your neck is a 4lb full frame camera.

I know Sony's been kind of hit or miss with their cameras, but the A6000 was the perfect combination of price, features and image quality that led to me choosing it over the Fuji XT-1 or the OMD-EM1. I'm hoping that there will be a lot less missed opportunities when I visit again in December!

I gotta say though, the EVF really takes a lot of getting used to!

I get what you're saying, I bought my OM-D when I was still shooting with a D7000. Now I have a D800. I take the D800 when my excursion is to take photos. I take the OM-D when photography is secondary.

I get what you're saying, I bought my OM-D when I was still shooting with a D7000. Now I have a D800. I take the D800 when my excursion is to take photos. I take the OM-D when photography is secondary.

I'm starting to find out that certain people put different amount of "weight" into different priorities.

I have a friend that is starting up his professional wedding photography business, and he's moving to 100% Fuji and selling off all his Canon gear.

Personally, I'm with you. I won't move to mirrorless until there is complete parity with dSLR's (sans weight). I treked 15km up and down through the valley's of Sa Pa, climbed to the top of mountains, and shot all day weddings with my dSLR... I'm not changing anytime soon.

It's not that...I love the quality of images my OM-D puts out, and the system has some fantastic lenses. I'm just straight up addicted to the insane RAW files my D800 spits out.

It's not that...I love the quality of images my OM-D puts out, and the system has some fantastic lenses. I'm just straight up addicted to the insane RAW files my D800 spits out.

Right, for you, you value the optics, full frame chip, and higher MP/DR than what the OM-D puts out. You value those features (or some combination thereof) over having to 'deal with the weight'. I think we agree. Unless I'm totally tarding out. That's been known to happen. :p

Shooting wide open at f/2 because I was balancing my off-camera flash with the ambient light in the bar...so yeah, my depth of field on that shot is extremely shallow. I don't think I overdid it on the skin smoothing.

Interesting, the photo is great, and the parts that should be in focus are. I just felt the area around the nose was a little too soft. But alas, small depth of field would do it

Emirates Palace Hotel by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

Went on a Europe tour with parents. Saw a lot, but didn't have enough time to take picture as I wanted. The tour guide were herding us along like cattle, constantly moving. Had to snap what I can when I can. I brought along the a7r just to test to see whether I would want to keep it or not. Turn out I like it quite a bit. Below image was taken while on a boat tour around Paris on the Seine river.

Eiffel Tower by pyrospawn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day is coming up here really soon. This coming Sunday April 27th. Maybe some of you are interested in participating.

Here are my 2013 and 2012 submissions.

The past 2 years I've used my digital D300 camera and a body cap pinhole lens. This year I want to submit a film photo. I have 5 frames left on a roll of 35mm film that are earmarked for this day. May put some 120mm film in my Holga WPC 6x12 pinhole camera if I can get some time to fix the light leak. Debating on if I want to put my pinhole bodycap lens on my D800 due to the dust concern (probably not too much worse than swapping lens). Hopefully there will be good light this year.

Last edited:
Went on a Europe tour with parents. Saw a lot, but didn't have enough time to take picture as I wanted. The tour guide were herding us along like cattle, constantly moving. Had to snap what I can when I can. I brought along the a7r just to test to see whether I would want to keep it or not. Turn out I like it quite a bit. Below image was taken while on a boat tour around Paris on the Seine river.

Eiffel Tower by pyrospawn, on Flickr

Ouch, This is exactly why I bluntly refuse traveling with any guide of any sort. I much prefer getting lost and finding my way around on my own terms and schedule. Alas, your parents probably prefered having a guide and a scheduled experience.

Nonetheless, it looks like you made the most of what you had. Great photos! The eiffel tower is rather unique view. Where else did you go besides France and Holland?

How do you find the usability of the A7r? while its a fantastic camera on all counts, I wasnt comfortable with it from the get go. Dont know why. Maybe I was too accustomed to fuji/nikon to find it appealing.

Ouch, This is exactly why I bluntly refuse traveling with any guide of any sort. I much prefer getting lost and finding my way around on my own terms and schedule. Alas, your parents probably prefered having a guide and a scheduled experience.

Nonetheless, it looks like you made the most of what you had. Great photos! The eiffel tower is rather unique view. Where else did you go besides France and Holland?

How do you find the usability of the A7r? while its a fantastic camera on all counts, I wasnt comfortable with it from the get go. Dont know why. Maybe I was too accustomed to fuji/nikon to find it appealing.

I think we stopped by France, Luxembourg, Germany, Holland, Belgium, then finally London. It was really too many places for just 6-7 days of vacation to properly explore. And the worst of all, all the nice places they took us to were in the middle of mid day sun :(.

I really like the ergonomic of the a7r. I'm not really a sport/action shooter, and normally take my time to find the shot anyway so the slower focus didn't really bother me. The flash sync speed of 1/160 can be annoying but I can live with. I do like the EVF of seeing how my shot would be before taking the shot, very helpful for noob like me :). Focus peaking is very cool. It makes manual focus fun and the ability to use my Canon EF lens, and older manual focus (FL, FD) lens are nice. Since those lens can be had fairly cheap thru ebay, I've built up a small collection to play with :) I thought about getting the a7 but felt that it didn't have enough advantages over my 6D, plus I got a really great deal for the a7r used. :D I do hate the battery life tho, hence I always carry like 6 batteries at all time.

German Corner by pyrospawn, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think we stopped by France, Luxembourg, Germany, Holland, Belgium, then finally London. It was really too many places for just 6-7 days of vacation to properly explore. And the worst of all, all the nice places they took us to were in the middle of mid day sun :(.

I really like the ergonomic of the a7r. I'm not really a sport/action shooter, and normally take my time to find the shot anyway so the slower focus didn't really bother me. The flash sync speed of 1/160 can be annoying but I can live with. I do like the EVF of seeing how my shot would be before taking the shot, very helpful for noob like me :). Focus peaking is very cool. It makes manual focus fun and the ability to use my Canon EF lens, and older manual focus (FL, FD) lens are nice. Since those lens can be had fairly cheap thru ebay, I've built up a small collection to play with :) I thought about getting the a7 but felt that it didn't have enough advantages over my 6D, plus I got a really great deal for the a7r used. :D I do hate the battery life tho, hence I always carry like 6 batteries at all time.

[ur l=https://flic.kr/p/njM5Zg]
13995985873_0c20c5402c_c.jpg
[/url]
German Corner by pyrospawn, on Flickr

Wow, that is a lot of places in just 6-7 days. Practicaly 1 day/city.

I share the same gripes with my x100s. Glad you're liking it!

Raezel and the Hamura tulips #1
by davidgevert, on Flickr

Raezel and the Hamura tulips #2

Raezel and the Hamura tulips #3

Raezel and the Hamura tulips #4

This image isn't tack sharp, but for some reason, it was still a stand-out...despite not being technically perfect, I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out. She's actually taking a picture of me taking a picture of her in this shot.

Raezel and the Hamura tulips #5

Raezel and the Hamura tulips #6

My first attempt at taking pictures of the stars.

IMG_5788-2_resize.jpg

The brightest object in the middle of the frame is Jupiter.

I hope you don't mind Panzer but I just HAD to play with this pic...
photo-develop01.jpg

--The ingredients were just too juicy for me to ignore (that and I'm in a "play with Lightroom mood" today).

My first attempt at taking pictures of the stars.

http://leroyblanchard.com/uploads/astro/IMG_5788-2_resize.jpg[/I MG]

The brightest object in the middle of the frame is Jupiter.[/QUOTE]

If that's your first attempt! Good job!!

What ISO were you using? It seems grainy, but a good grainy actually

[url=https://flic.kr/p/naKSDC][img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5556/13893900790_f4d9e7a1b8_b.jpg[/url]Vantage by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

Who's there?! by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

If that's your first attempt! Good job!!

What ISO were you using? It seems grainy, but a good grainy actually

ISO 1600
f/stop 2.8
Shutter 25 seconds
Focal length 11mm

It was my first attempt at it that night. I took about ~15 - 20 pictures before that one the same night before I got what I wanted. I have a lot of light pollution where I live though. Next attempt I intend to go out in the mountains and try it.

I hope you don't mind Panzer but I just HAD to play with this pic...
<SNIP>
--The ingredients were just too juicy for me to ignore (that and I'm in a "play with Lightroom mood" today).

Not at all. It wasn't a great shot but I like the "lazy summer afternoon" vibe and lighting.

Thanks much! I wanna try sport and events but terrible at it.

...and I stink at shooting gorgeous models. Mainly because I don't have the opportunity to practice. :D

Back